• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I wish the gradient map tool was like the one in photoshop or designer

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a quite large game studio with with an old school handpainted style for our MMORPG and throughout the years we have heavily relied on coloring everything with gradient maps in photoshop. Now the team has slowly migrated over to using substance painter instead. We are very happy with the workflow and the software but we are all very unhappy with how the gradient tool work in substance painter.

In substance you have these sliders, they are not very intuvetive and you have very little control of how the colors will affect your grayscale. The transition gets choppy and the colors feels almost washed out.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 075401.pngScreenshot 2023-09-14 075651.png

In Photoshop and designer you have this gradient map tool where tou see the whole scale and you can control the transission much better. In designer you can ever colorpick gradients from external images. You also get a much smoother transission between colors.

I'm thinking since we have this feature in both Designer and photoshop, wouldn't it be relatively easy to add it to painter as well?

Kind Regards
Lotta Sörensen
Character art lead at Star Stable Online

Idea Under review
TOPICS
Color Management , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

We're currently reworking the "Idea" section of the forum to have a better view on users needs.

To keep everyone updated, this is clearly something we would like to work on, but unfortunately nothing new to share on the topic.

Regards,

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 i`ve been requesting this since 2015
https://polycount.com/discussion/154264/substance-painter-gradientmap
i was happy to at least get the filter version but its so much less user friendly than an actual gradient with control points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lotta, hello Leslie,

Thanks for the detailed insight.

I can agree that the gradient isn't very intuitive to use, and it could be a bit more visual. With that being said, I'm not sure what you meant mentioning choppy transitions and washed out colors. Could you share a screenshot of the issue, so I can take a better look on what you're mentioning.

I'll share your message with the team, so we can have a discussion on the subject.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking into the issue Cyril!

This is a comparison of how it looks with just three colors in the gradent. It's imposible to get the same contrast and vibrancy in the colors in Painter as in photoshop 😞 You can clearly see in the transistions from one color to the other how there is clear steps in painter while in photoshop there's a smooth transition.

Lotta322783057ohq_4-1695905228397.png

Lotta322783057ohq_6-1695905720694.png

Lotta322783057ohq_7-1695905735845.pngLotta322783057ohq_8-1695905816801.png

Aslo the darkest and the brightes color kind of disapears. If I try to get them back by pulling in the sliders the steps between colors gets worse. Here's another comparison, side by side SP and PS. I've done the exact same thing in the two softwares here. I've pulled up the darkest hue and down the brightest one to get more contrast in the gradent.

Lotta322783057ohq_10-1695906336307.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've color-picked the exact same colors. And you can clearly see how the SP one feels a bit grayer and less saturated. You can also see how the furr details looks diffrent.

Lotta322783057ohq_1-1695907158528.png

Here you can clearly see how the shadows behave diffrently

Lotta322783057ohq_2-1695907402275.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details.

The steps issue seems to be a matter of bitdepth. It's worth a try to switch the bitdepth for 16 bits and see if the problem persists.

Also, if not already done, I advise you to always check the colors with the 3D view displayed as "Base Color" instead of "Material". This way, you'll have a more realistic vision on how the gradient is applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're currently reworking the "Idea" section of the forum to have a better view on users needs.

To keep everyone updated, this is clearly something we would like to work on, but unfortunately nothing new to share on the topic.

Regards,

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources