What can be done to fix this?
Which version I should use?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Hi All,

I understand that some of you have been experiencing difficulties with opening or importing DXF/DWG files in Illustrator. I want to assure you that the product team has worked diligently to resolve this issue.

After careful investigation, it has been determined that the problem is with the DXF/DWG files themselves. They were not created in accordance with the proper file format specifications, and as a result, they are causing errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does this problem occur with all files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @italosan 
Yes.
I changed laptot - that's why new Ai version. 
In older Ai on my previous laptop I could open those files.
Also tried to open on my private laptop where is 24.2.3 version - there I could. Only thing, that computer is very slow - I can't work there.
Not sure can I get older version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. few days ago I could open files in new version aswel - not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>[a] few days ago I could open files in new version as well...

in that case, you could try a prefs reset, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open in old and send to new.

from community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/any-illustrator-v25-0-1-later-won-t-open-cad-drawings...

Anshul_Saini â€¢ Adobe Employee , Nov 27, 2021 said: This issue was fixed in v25.0.1, but it has resurfaced in the later releases.

Look for a 2023 fix... and broken in 2024... and fixed in 20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Met1
Not possible to work - too slow 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is why I HATE updating! This is literally what I use Illustrator for and why I pay $50 per month.  This needs to be fixed TODAY.  I cannot import any DXF files which means I cannot design. which means I dont get paid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SanitaP  Try to convert you file from DXF to DWG,  its should import. It's ridiculous how the team that responsible checking these type of things failed at checking one of the most commong import files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem it is so frustrating that you have to use an old version when you already used to the new features . if there are any solution for that please write it below >

I checked the files contents between illustrator 2021 v 25.0.1 and 2022 v 26.5.0 i found one plugin dosenot exit in the 2022 v which is DxfDwg.aip file < i do not know if it is the problem or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @walaa00 !
Unfortunately  I didn't find solution for this 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I understand that some of you have been experiencing difficulties with opening or importing DXF/DWG files in Illustrator. I want to assure you that the product team has worked diligently to resolve this issue.

After careful investigation, it has been determined that the problem is with the DXF/DWG files themselves. They were not created in accordance with the proper file format specifications, and as a result, they are causing errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator.
Note: Illustrator uses the latest AutoCAD library licensed from Autodesk to open, import, and export DXF & DWG files.

Please note that the older versions of AutoCAD also experience difficulty with opening these malformed files. If you come across any DXF/DWG files that can be opened in the latest versions of AutoCAD but not in Illustrator, please report this as a separate issue in a new post and share the file with me via DM for further investigation. Our team will do their best to resolve any bugs that may exist.

It's worth mentioning that Illustrator versions 25.1 and below were able to open/import these files because they used a different library, which did not strictly check the DXF/DWG files for conformance. However, due to the lack of support for recent OS upgrades, Illustrator has switched to the latest AutoCAD library from Autodesk for opening, importing, and exporting DXF/DWG files. Unfortunately, the older versions of Illustrator are no longer available in Creative Cloud due to Adobe policy. However, you may try the suggestion in this community post to install an older version.

Additionally, it is important to note that other third-party apps may also export DXF/DWG files using older AutoCAD libraries that may not open in Illustrator. If you encounter such files, please report them to the application that created them for a potential fix in future releases.

Thank you,

Anshul Saini

#Marking as correct for visibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

We have several users of Illustrator 2024 in our team , all of whom can import dwgs apart from one.

It has only stopped being able to open them today.

The dwgs were exported from solidworks.

could you explain why this is happening?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @grahamq34297104,

Thanks for reaching out. It seems like the issue you're encountering with opening DWG files in Illustrator might be due to the files not being created in accordance with the proper file format specifications. This can lead to errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator.

Since the DWG files were exported from SolidWorks, it's possible that there may be discrepancies in the way the files are formatted or structured, causing compatibility issues with Illustrator.

If these files don't open in AutoCAD &  Illustrator, it further suggests that they may not meet the latest AutoCAD standards, which Illustrator relies on for opening and importing DWG files.

To troubleshoot this further, you may want to check if the DWG files open correctly in other CAD software or if there are any specific settings or export options in SolidWorks that could affect compatibility with Illustrator.

If you're still experiencing difficulties, please feel free to share the file with us for investigation. We're here to help!

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

I could open/import these exact same dwg files a few days earlier, and my collegues still can, so this tells me the issue isnt with dwg files, its with Illustrator and an update?

I've installed an older version of illustrator now as a get around, but should we really have to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand your frustration, @grahamq34297104. It's unusual that you were able to open the DWG files previously but are now encountering issues. We'll need to investigate further to understand the discrepancy. Could you please share the specific version of Illustrator your colleagues are using, as well as the exact version you reverted back to? Additionally, if possible, sharing one of the DWG files that you're having trouble with would be helpful for our investigation.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines