• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2019 - File Type Association (WIN) *Bug*?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I try I cannot change the default file type .ai to always open/be associated with Illustrator 2019.

The files always show up as blank icons and I have to now always right click and 'open with' and choose Illustrator 2019.

Bug with the new updated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Hi there,

All the users on this thread have a similar issue but not the same. Every situation here has a different fix.

XD defaulting to AI on Windows

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.

For other issues: Please try these steps to correct general File association errors: How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

If you have tried all of these t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Photoshop.  Fixed it my adding a new 'Binary Value' for Photoshop.Image.20 in the registry.

Registry Key:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.psd\OpenWithProgids

• Add a new 'Binary Value'  Photoshop.Image.20.  I previously only had Photoshop.Image.18 and Photoshop.Image.19

Once I added the new binary value everything was back to normal! 🙂  Hopefully the same fix will work for the other extensions.

SAC_181018_12-50-24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks!

For Illustrator, the Registry entry is

Adobe.Illustrator.23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem as everyone else... Windows 10 Home build 17134.345 ... I specifically applied the Oct. Windows 10 update before upgrading to the new CC programs. I have not tried the edit to my REG file, but all the other suggestions DID NOT work. I rolled back to version 22. I have also removed XD for now as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming I am seeing this problem.. hoping for an update in Adobe Creative Cloud soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through all the steps described on the forum and nothing worked.

Finally, I uninstalled all adobe applications including the creative cloud. I cleared the registers and autostart. I downloaded the cretive cloud again and installed all 23 programs and it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please check out the solution here: How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

Let us know if this helps!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, what a complete f**k up on Adobe's part....Tried them all....Only alexderas idea of changing that one registry entry from 22 to 23 worked. That should go straight to the top of the list so the 92,983,756 people after me can find the solution fast without having to reengineer their Registry......and we all know how easy and low impact that can be, right? FUBAR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files association is fine BUT when I doubleclick on a smartobject in Photoshop => adobe XD.
If i desinstall XD => all is fine!

I NEED A SOLUTION please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

having same problem with Adobe illustrator 2019 icons on windows 10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134.

when i installed for the first time, icons appear after restarting windows. but after seconds they gone into blank icons. i can open blank icons throw Adobe illustrator only. they doesn't only work at all . even if i specify the illustrator exe for them. i should do it every time for each icon. i've done all solutions and suggestions above. but doesn't work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I can't associate any file types to Illustrator CC 2019, neither through the windows system configuration nor by editing registry keys. Re-installing Illustrator did not help the issue.

However, while doing routine cleaning of my registry using CCleaner, I have noticed that there were several shell errors associated with Illustrator CC 2019's registry entries. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a Windows problem, its a bug in the new version(s)

Who needs a shiny Adobe Max show, when super important updates are stitched so sloppy?

Impossible to even consider to uninstall 2 programs , then install again.

Or fooling around in the registry,

Or going through the 10 points of the TRY & SHARE.
A massive waste of time - and that is a lot of money down the drain.

ARE WE F...ING BETA TESTER FOR ADOBE OR ARE WE PAYING SUBSCRIBERS WHO DESERVE A FUNCTIONAL PRODUCT,
AND / OR IF THE SHIT HITS THE FAN GET A VERYYYYYY QUICK SOLUTION THE NEXT DAY!!!!????

Where is the fix from adobe?

When will Adobe wake up to understand that their customers are the spine of their business?
Customer relationship management or "service" is basically non-existent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI files open in XD. Vector Smart object in PS opens in XD.

None of the solutions works for me. Reinstalling v22 and uninstalling doesn't work. The "correct answer" doesnt work. My IT guy can't come up with a solution.

Adobe must come with a solution fast. We are waiting for an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS a BUG. Come on Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing the registry allows me to open Illustrator files correctly, but only if Illustrator is not yet open. If it is open, double clicking a file in Explorer changes the focus to Illustrator but the file does not open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it!

Followed the above, it was all correct.  The issue was in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ai

The (Default) was set to Adobe.Illustrator.22

You change that to .23 (and check to make sure all the .23 goes where it's supposed to) and voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Exact problem here. .ai wants to open with XD and none of the 'fixes' are working. Default programs, Registry, blah blah blah.... This is so annoying. I even did a clean windows install. Still no dice on the .ai program association. Windows isn't going anywhere folks. Quit letting us rip our hair out. This is my livelihood. I'm not doing any major updates anymore until you release a few. It's a total mess every time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikem18312062  schrieb

Same Exact problem here. .ai wants to open with XD and none of the 'fixes' are working. Default programs, Registry, blah blah blah.... This is so annoying. I even did a clean windows install. Still no dice on the .ai program association. Windows isn't going anywhere folks. Quit letting us rip our hair out. This is my livelihood. I'm not doing any major updates anymore until you release a few. It's a total mess every time...

It's close to impossible to help you in this long thread.

You can now: create your own thread or contact Customer Support directly so they can have a look inside your system. Since setting up a 1 on 1 sessing would be necessary anyway, the Customer Support route would be what I'd do.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

If your .ai files are opening in XD instead of Illustrator, then please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took srishtib8795206​advice

Updating XD solved the first part of my issue. Now my .ai files doesnt open in XD anymore (hurray).

Now my .ai files have no predefined program, but I get a prompt to choose a program to open with.

Hopefully this will be fixed in a future windows update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work Srishti. There is an inherent fault when you click on the apply button after selection the illustrator.exe file as the default. You see it trying to action but then it just doesn't kick in. The same happens if you go to Windows Default program settings. Try to click on Illustrator 2019 and nothing happens.

Now, Windows has no changed, only Illustrator has, so it is something in the way that Adobe have coded the software registry - it's like it isn't being recognised by Windows as a registered software application within Windows. My guess is someone at Adobe stuffed up the registry process on this latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

be.free​ I have the exact same issue and the exact same error pattern as you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

All the users on this thread have a similar issue but not the same. Every situation here has a different fix.

XD defaulting to AI on Windows

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.

For other issues: Please try these steps to correct general File association errors: How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

If you have tried all of these then please report your issue here: New update CC 2019 (v23) File Association Issue - Windows 10 – Adobe Illustrator Feedback and contact our support team for One-to-One support: Contact Customer Care

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows are also aware of the errors, this might mean that it was a shared effort from both Adobe and windows which has created this bug. Windows have a fix at the end of November, and we'll see if this will fix the problem

https://www.windowscentral.com/bug-windows-10-april-2018-update-prevents-setting-app-defaults-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines