• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator lagging and freezing when moving object on max M1 processor

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a problem where illustrator becomes unusable. When trying to move a path with a few anchor points, illustrator freezes, the color spinning wheel shows up and illustrator then catches up after 20ish seconds. It happens on both a Mac Studio with M1 Ultra and MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, running the latest version of Illustrator. Both of them have GPU setting enables. 

Interestingly when disabling the GPU preview and using the CPU I do not have this issue anymore and moving the object is really smooth. However it disables the zoom animation, creating another caveat in the everyday use of illustrator.

I tried removing the setting, etc. Even reinstall fully Max OS (last version 13.3) and nothing fixed it. Anything to make it work? 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

My workflow has always been saving to an external drive, but when I got my M1 Mac Studio, I experienced the same slowness  you did.  I found out by saving to an internal SSD in an M1 or M2 is faster.

that's becuse there is too much information going to your external, too much throughput, it's like a bus full of people trying to come out at the same time. Also, if you have any 3D apps on while you are working on illustrator might slow when rendering.

so far I can have 12 apps open at the same time

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Hello @gregorym21379142@MelA_2011@Yasir the Designer,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. I hope the suggestions shared in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illustrator/td-p/11561981) helped resolve the problem.

If not, we will need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen) and select the chat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Hello @Marcos Schnaider, @TW.EM,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind sharing more details about your workflow, including whether Illustrator behaves this way with all files and if there are any particular steps to reproduce this problem?

Also, kindly try running Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many fonts are installed? Maybe remove some as well.

And then of course: turn off everything else. Browsers love RAM for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do a placemat with 24 ads on it ( ads are either linked or created on the document)"

This gives me more understanding of why the lagging. You mentioned 24 ads with links, that's where you need to look closer, those ads that have images/photos are they linked or embedded? So illustrator is going out and looking for these files and that might be the cause. After you start working in your internal, try to embed those files and see how fast they link. You might have images linked to an external and illustrator is going out to external trying to link. 
if you feel comfortable working with Adobe Indesign your workflow would be faster especially with linking 24 or so ads. 
you are getting there👌.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the assistance and the suggestions. I never had an issue with linked or embedded images before or fonts. I am changing my complete workflow and moving all my design files to my startup drive. I am still having slowdowns... I have used externals as a scratch disk so I am attempting to turn that prefrence off as well. Could that be causing the issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I would test and see if you run a document with out any linked or embedded files.

another test, run few links, embedded and see how long will take, and another one with linked files. 
are those linked fils in jpeg or png, and what is an average size of file.
Could you post one if those linked files, let me see if I can run a test on my Mac Studio with M1.

I'm sure it is frustrating especially when you buy an M1 Mac hoping will speed up your work. 
Good luck. 
yasir 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing more slow down creating a logo with no links saved to the internal drive than I have with a placemat with 8 linked ads... it is weird. I am currently trying to eliminate some external drives to see if It is one of them. I removed the externals as a scratch disk and will try to pair down my drives... Thank you for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your test, there should be no external linked files, not even one, otherwise Illustrator will go out and to collect it. 
also, if you are comfortable with working in Adobe Indesign; it is made for links, see if there is lagging in it? And if there is then, Apple tech might have to help you.

I just exported a document from Illustrator last night it had 10 linked files with a mesh on top of each and didn't have an issue of lagging. I'm on Monetary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update i removed my extenals as scratch disks, and have unmounted the majority of my older externals. One of them i think was the culprit... things seem more stable with fewer drives. Indesign has been mostly fine. I use all of the adobe apps and illustrator lag I think was caused by a connected older drive possibly... still testing but things seem a little better so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator is also experiencing slowness. When I click on objects, they seem to stick to the mouse cursor, requiring a second click to release them. I'm using the latest versions of the Sonoma 14.4.1 operating system and Illustrator 28.4.1, and there are no external drives connected to the computer. My setup includes a Logitech MX Master 3 Bluetooth mouse, Logitech MX Keys keyboard, and Wacom Intuos Pro tablet.

It has been quite unpleasant and difficult to work with Illustrator lately. Recently, I formatted the MacBook Pro M1 and reinstalled all software, but the problems persist.

I'm constantly waiting for updates in the hope that the issues will be fixed, but that hope quickly dissipates after opening the software.

What should I do to restore Illustrator's performance to the level it had in the past? I appreciate any guidance or suggestions to resolve these recurring issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue that happen now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Illustrator on a Macbook Pro M1 as well.

But: not on Sonoma and with a Wacom tablet. I also just have a Logitech Pebble Mouse and nothing fancy connected to that computer. Illustrator runs like a charm.

I know people who do not experience Sonoma issues, but I actually do not know how they are doing it. So many issues are being reported with Sonoma, that I think the issue is with the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to go back to an older version, before it was lagging, or try to install a fresh copy.

And you said you are saving to the desktop, do you have lots is apps open?

but if non of that works, I think you should try Adobe support, althiugh they might be waste of time.

there was a new illustrator update today, maybe start with that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to revert to an earlier version. I pay for the license to use versions with new features. I don't have more than 3 files on the desktop, and the number of open apps isn't excessive.

Nevertheless, it's a two-year-old computer. It should have the capability to support Illustrator open alongside Photoshop and others.

The last time I reached out for support, I spent nearly 5 hours hearing repeatedly that I should revert to an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you, Adobe support is not as good as it seems, most of the time it is a total waste of time, but  I learned to call in the evening after 8:30 pm, you will get a more senior tech, at that time in India it is 7:00am, when you call daytime in the U.S. you will get the tech from the nightshift, wich i found out they take you on a rabbit hole.

Here is Adobe's website for info on the latest fixes for AI, https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/release-notes.html

I wish I have better ideas, I went thru what you are experiencing with my M1 Mac Studio, in my case, I had to switch save to internal drive, it was taking longer for an action. You can also try logging off your mac; meaning you will have only Apple apps, using preview and see how it reacts before logging off and after and see the difference. Also, do not hesitate to call Apple support, they might already know something.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Marcos Schnaider, @TW.EM,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind sharing more details about your workflow, including whether Illustrator behaves this way with all files and if there are any particular steps to reproduce this problem?

Also, kindly try running Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and under a different administrator account (Windows / macOS) and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anubhav Majumder ,

It happens all the time. Even when I have just a Letter-sized page with 3 elements on the screen, they start sticking to the mouse and the spinning wheel appears. This usually occurs while I'm drawing a logo with geometric elements like rectangles and circles, with varying stroke thicknesses. Just thicknesses, nothing complex like brushes or strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Marcos Schnaider,

Thanks for sharing the details. Would you mind confirming if the steps shared above helped resolve the problem? If not, we may need to troubleshoot this in a live session. Please head here (https://adobe.ly/3xjOBEC) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ;D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it happen because of Sonoma Os Update, I ask my friend that use montera Os He doesn't  get this issue like us...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an M1 Mac Studio, running Sonoma, and not having a problem, my issue was when I had Monterey but maybe different than your issue.

What about the mouse you are using, try an Apple mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TW.EM  schrieb:

Maybe it happen because of Sonoma Os Update, I ask my friend that use montera Os He doesn't  get this issue like us...

Do you have Magnet or any other Window manager installed? Rectangle, Spectacle, whatever the name is ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!!!

Thanks @Monika Gause 
I have the Magnet. Closed it and it returned to normal.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job Monika.👌

but what is the magnet?

this should be documented for Adobe tech, instead of going around in a circle. 

Solved!!!

Thanks @Monika Gause 
I have the Magnet. Closed it and it returned to normal.

Thank you very much.

By @Marcos Schnaider

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Magnet is an app. A window manager. 

There are other window managers as well. Rectangle for example and probably more of them. 

The question is why the companies making these managers, do not solve these issues or at least document them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines