• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator starts flashing on and off on screen?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this flashing occurring on the last 2 updates of Illustrator (Currently 25.3), and it usually stops if I quit one of my more memory intensive programs like Photoshop, InDesign or Excel, I have 40 GB of additiopnal ram installed. Are the updated Illustrator much more memory intensive or is this some kind of bug? Please help.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried, but couldn't replicate this behavior. We'd appreciate if you could share a few more details like:

• Operating System
  • Does turning off GPU Performance help resolving this issue?
  • Generate the logs(ZXP file) using Log Collector tool & share these files with us here or over DM.
  • A small video of the issue and a few sample files.

We'd be looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

I have had this issue for seveal updates now. On my system it is specifically related to the extra info popup for buttons in the UI. When hovering over buttons on the toolbar, the flickering occurs right before the extra info popups are displayed. When I turn this option off the flickering stops occuring. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Ive attached a screenshot, but it is in Dutch, sorry. Apparanlty I have to completely reinstall my apps to switch to the english international UI. Bizarre.

IngmarSpit_2-1646125770742.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reopened AI 25.3.1 with that file, and the screen flicker is gone.

I had several big files open at the time.

The M1 chip does a very sophisticated video memory management.

So my guess is that it was the fault of the chip, in a vicious cycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator, since the update, when waking from sleep, or even just display sleep - has started to resize the main app window to about 2/3 height of the screen and then when transforming objects (any movement or rotation etc) the pasteboard flickers. The pasteboard also changes shade when shifting bewteen tools - again only after waking from sleep.

It is a brand new Mac Mini, and only affects Illustrator WITHIN the window - i.e. only the pasteboard - no menus or tools etc flicker.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I have noticed similar window resize issue and image flickering in PS too (not pasteboard)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, this is the same issue I have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried, but couldn't replicate this behavior. We'd appreciate if you could share a few more details like:

• Operating System
  • Does turning off GPU Performance help resolving this issue?
  • Generate the logs(ZXP file) using Log Collector tool & share these files with us here or over DM.
  • A small video of the issue and a few sample files.

We'd be looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on a new Mac Studio and Studio monitor. Turning off GPU performance does stop the flicker, but then it turns all asset points and lines to white or clear, which makes them impossible to see. Ive reloaded all system and Adobe software with no improvement. Its kind of  mess TBH as it becomes very eye straining for anybody working 8 hours on a flickering screen. FYI, its ONLY in Adobe and Ive only seen it in Illus at this point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Customer Care, so they can take a look at it. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Adobe Customer Care

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That's a really good one! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Fontand  @jeffhalmos and @benedikth64842477 

We're still waiting for your response to this query. In case you still facing this issue, please shared the details asked above and we'd be happy to help.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... instead of fixing this it is now worse than ever as it's started happening with Acrobat now (as well as Photoshop).

1) Open Illustrator (the only app open) - all OK!

2) Working in Illustrator and open a PDF in Acrobat.

3) Click back into Illustrator but leave Acrobat open in the background - flickering cursor

4) Hide Acrobat - cursor stops flickering (quitting fixes it too but currently just hiding Acrobat works)

5) Working in Illustrator and open a file in Photoshop.

6) Click back into Illustrator but leave Photoshop open in the background - flickering cursor (can be intermittent however with Photoshop)

7) Hide Photoshop - sometimes fixes the bug but not always. Quitting Photoshop always fixes it.

Here's my hardware spec (all brand new with clean first time software installs): 

Mac Pro (2019)

3.3 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W

160 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Hopefully someone from Adobe will look into this seriously as I'm now convinced it's an Adobe issue since Acrobat has started causing the bug. It's happening when there's an open Acrobat or Photoshop window behind Illustrator and it honestly makes it impossible to be able to do any work in Illustrator. Adobe can easily replicate the issue by mirroring my kit (standard off-the-shelf stuff) and installing the three programs. I've tried all the supposed fixes and none work other than the hidind/closing hacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update... Adobe please note.... when Acrobat is open behind Illustrator the cursor flickers between the active Illustrator tool icon and the active Acrobat tool icon.

i.e. I'm using Acrobat and have the hand tool selected - moving the page around etc. Then I click into Illustrator thus bringing it to the front (with the previous Actobat window behind it), and I select, for example, the black pointer tool. The cursor then flickers between the Acrobat hand tool and the Illustrator black pointer tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem still occurs here too, truly mindblowing its impossible to have two adobe apps open at the same time without causing epilepsy, someone is going to sue them soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also InDesign is similarly affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an issue with both illustrator and indesign.. if photoshop is open your cursor will flicker in these apps, until you close photoshop the problem remains.

Cursor looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzysLNOS2c

Problem also documented here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/cursor-flickers-in-illustrator-2019-when-photoshop-is-ope...

And here:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-being-open-causes-infuriating-cursor-flicker/m-p/...

This has been a problem for YEARS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've been an avid photoshop and illustrator user for over 10 years now. 

just about 6 years ago i started facing this problem. AND IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE WALL. 

only recently did i learn it was linked to having photoshop and illustrator open at the same time. 

But having PHOTOSHOP open does not just affect the cursor in ILLUSTRATOR, and also drives my KEYNOTE cursor crazy. I've searched everywhere for a solution. And the only thing that works right now is to close PHOTOSHOP. i've had this problem with four different laptops, and four different versions of PS and IL, so it's surely not a hardware problem. I do think fonts might something to do with it tho. Because it only starts happening once i start uploading fonts to FONT BOOK.  Pls anyone with a solution post it here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has something to do with the apps being open for a certain period of time too.. it doesnt happen right away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the latest update (25.4) there's a couple more issues:

1) When resizing the document window the visible artwork jumps and jitters which is really ugly and off-putting. Turning off GPU performance fixes this, however the problem didn't exist prior to the update.

2) When inserting the type cursor into a block of text it blinks and flickers intermittently fast and slow. Before the update it was the normal steady slow, regular blink.

...and the flickering cursor bug is still there of course.

Mac Pro (2019)

3.3 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon W

160 GB 2933 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. As mentioned above, we're still investigating this issue and need your help to find the root cause. 

I have sent you a DM for some more details, please check.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote about that in the Illustrator bugs forum for years without any answer! It still happens with Mac Pro and always the root cause ist Photoshop. Illustrator and Indesign open at once > no problem. Opening an additional document in Photoshop causes flickering cursor in all other programs instantly! That's so odd and no help for years ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Illustrator on M1 and facing this issue as well. It stopped after I turned off "GPU Performance" in preference>performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

find fix in the video below

https://youtu.be/gxAy45kyZGI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flickering cursor on M1 Macs is a massive annoyance. Feels cheap. Still happening with 26.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NO fix!

When you work with Illustrator smartobjects in Photoshop you CANNOT close the documents? What a nonsense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue for seveal updates now. On my system it is specifically related to the extra info popup for buttons in the UI. When hovering over buttons on the toolbar, the flickering occurs right before the extra info popups are displayed. When I turn this option off the flickering stops occuring. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines