Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and Illustrator UI too small

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have the problem that the UI of Illustrator and InDesign is too small. Photoshop and Muse scale the UI just fine, whereas InDesign's and Illustrator's interface is not usable. In the settings, the scaling is already set to the highest value, so I do not understand why the UI is still small. It is a very frustrating issue, since it is a real pain to work with these small icons.

I am on a Thinkpad T570 with a 4K-Panel, Windows 10 scaling is set to 250%. I added a screenshot where you can see the difference between the UI of PS and ID.Unbenannt.PNG

Thanks in advance for your help!

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Hi there,

We are glad to inform you that this has been addressed in our latest update released today. Please install and let us know if that helps

1) Do one of the following:

• (Windows) Choose Edit > Preferences > User Interface.
  • (macOS) Choose Illustrator > Preferences > User Interface.

2) Adjust the UI Scaling slider. A preview of the scaled UI is displayed in the Preferences dialog box.

3) Select the Scale Cursor Proportionately option to scale the cursor icons in proportion to the UI.

4) To apply t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olivander12,

Please make sure "Large Tabs" option is checked under Ai preferences (Edit > Preferences > User Interface).

Ai UI settings.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, but this option is already checked.

Also, the scaling of the fx-Window does not work at all. If I, for example, click on artistic effects, I get a completely unscaled window, where I can barely read a thing. This window is even way to small compared to the already tiny UI. It looks like this.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

This renders the effects options useless, unless I wanted to sit 10cm in front of my screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you figured a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are glad to inform you that this has been addressed in our latest update released today. Please install and let us know if that helps

1) Do one of the following:

• (Windows) Choose Edit > Preferences > User Interface.
  • (macOS) Choose Illustrator > Preferences > User Interface.

2) Adjust the UI Scaling slider. A preview of the scaled UI is displayed in the Preferences dialog box.

3) Select the Scale Cursor Proportionately option to scale the cursor icons in proportion to the UI.

4) To apply this setting, relaunch Illustrator. If you do not relaunch Illustrator, the changes will take effect the next time you launch Illustrator.

Here a few more features introduced in Illustrator 23.0: Introducing Illustrator CC 2019 | Adobe Blog

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi srishtib8795206​,

I am still experiencing this issue after the update from October. I have a 3840 x 2160 Dell XPS 15 Laptop Display, running on Windows 10, System Scaling set to 250%. Setting the UI scaling from Adobe Illustrator Preferences small or large does not make any difference, everything is way too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when will any sort of fix will come to inDesign? It's been over a year and it's too tiny it's unusable, seriously why are we paying for a bad service? Laptops have a 4k Resolution and then you Adobe which "supposedly" is the "industry standard programs for design, AREN'T designing your UI to be working on 4K screens. That's a bad joke, and it costs money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any kind of scale, Srishti. How am I supposed to make this fix for InDesign?

Crystal5E2F_0-1615990339963.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the solution for InDesign? Illustrator is fine but InDesign is so small as to be unusable.

TeresaB831_0-1618578641036.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here on an Asus UX501VW with a 15.6-inch 4k panel. The option you mentioned is already checked. Still, the UI and tabs and icons are extremely small and impossible to work with. Please... Just find a Windows laptop with 15.6-inch or smaller 4k display and try your Illustrator on it. You will find that no options help whatsoever and this is a buggy issue regarding the software itself, not with any options. The reason that I am so confirmed is that the UI of Illustrator has been working greate throughout the time of CC 2017. This issue has been present only since an update after I upgraded to CC 2018. Also, I have to mention that before the same update, UI of Photoshop is just as dreadful as the Illustrator is now. However, after this update the problem went away from Photoshop to Illustrator.

Attached are some screenshots. Please try to view them on a 15.6-inch display and you'll see what I mean by TINY. Please come up with a fix. I am really frustrated about this because such scaling issues on HiDPI display on Windows have been around since late 2016 as far as I know. And guess what, it is already mid-April of 2018!Illustrator_1.PNG

Illustrator_2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Please share your feedback or feature request regarding the adjustable UI using these links and upvote:

Illustrator: Adobe Illustrator Feedback

InDesign: Adobe InDesign Feedback

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Om,

Actually I have already done so and the link to my feedback is here:

UI scaling in Illustrator is unusably TINY – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

To be honest, I know there are a lot of tasks you guys need to complete but seriously this is a BUG rather than a feature request problem. And this bug has been around like forever, jumping around from app to app, from Photoshop to Illustrator in the case of this 2018 update. So yeah, hopefully you guys can give this problem higher priority. If you guys are going to base their fix priority only on the voting, I think we 4k Windows laptop users are doomed because there are far far fewer 4k Windows laptop users than 1080p Windows user or even Macbook user around the world, and macOS seems to be even more dominant in Adobe's community.

Thank you for your reply anyway and hope to receive some fix about this soon, like before 2019?

Best,

Xucong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Xucong,

Thanks for sharing the UserVoice link. I'll forward it to the product team. I'd also request you and others to upvote it so that we have a significant number of votes for this feature request.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue on a Dell Inspiron 7559. How do we fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The solution for Win10 or for any such software running under Win10 is pretty straight-forward.

Right click on the .exe file for the app, Go to Compatibility > Settings > Change high DPI Settings > Change Program DPI Settings and set High DPI Scaling override to 'System'.

Best,

Cem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ccu.de​,

This setting indeed scales the UI properly but it looks blurry, so still not an ideal solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a solution.  🙄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad has been addressed in Illustrator. What about InDesign? (In original question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Sorry about the inconvenience. Please share your feedback/ suggestion here: Adobe InDesign Feedback. This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Srishti -- I did search and found the UI adjustment option has been requested. Not a lot of votes, but added mine. If anyone else would like to see, please add your vote too! Thank you -- Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems resolved for the main User Interface, but it is unresolved for the User Interfaces that open within the workflow. For example, with a path selected if I go to "Effect" --> "Sketch" --> "Chalk & Charcoal" the User Interface that opens for that workflow contains system text and system icons that are too small to be understood. This is repeatable for many workflow user interfaces. This is a usability bug and should been at the very top of the developers focus.

Thanks,

Kevin

Snag_12ff5fae.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines