• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow performance after updating Illustrator to version 26.0 (2022)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated illustrator 25.4.1 to illustrator 26 this morning. What a massive sh*tty update: you basicaly can't do thing, every action trigger the apple color wheel for ten seconds. So I rolled back to the previous version that worked fine before that and... same. Color wheel, color wheel, color wheel everywhere. So adobe, I hope that one day I could leave your environment.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating performance issues are. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help fix these issues. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I have updatetd to the current MacOs. That did the magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I updated too and I don't have any issue. Please try resetting the preferences, that could be helpful: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/no/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.ug.html

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After getting very frustrated with the laggy update I also reset the preferences. This seemed to work and now back to full speed. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists. If not, please try the suggestions shared on this page.  Also, please confirm which operating system is this? 

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did what you suggested, unfortunately it doesn't work. Please test your apps before releasing updates. You're just wasting everyone time and money by releasing "updates" with stuff that nobody care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see none of the problems listed above have been addressed.  I put off updating until a couple days ago and quickly gave up on 26 and reinstalled 25.4.  I tried the suggested fixes and nothing helped the lagging. The program would operate okay for a while but then it would start slowing down. Switching from one tool to another would probably take more than an actual second. I'm working on a Mac with Monterey.

Roxanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me is Windows version, i try made a clean install of Windows then clean install of adobe illustrator 2022

its terrible work process, every movement of object i have to wait about 5-10 second to move

really sh*tty slow performace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it's so frustrating and I use illustrator every day for work. it takes SO long to do a simple action and is making me look very unprofessional to my clients.

May be time to switch to different software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm presenting a lot of issues as well. The program crashes all the time, closes unexpectedly, and is not even letting me open it for the last two days! I have an excellent computer, so I'm blaming this new version. I NEED HELP ASAP; I have deadlines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al updates installed... Nothing helps. Weirdly, outline mode is the slowest! How is this even possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. In addition to @marliton & @Srishti Bali suggestions, you may try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

• Firstly, close all the software or services running in the background or run the app in Safe Mode (MacWindows
    • Rename the CEP folder to CEP.old from the following location:
      MAC: /Library/Application Support/Adobe
      Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe
    • If that doesn't help, rename the UXP folder to UXP.old from the following locations:
      MAC: /Library/Application Support/Adobe
      MAC: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
      Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe
      Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried every solution in this discussion and it actually made the problem worse.

Before trying the solutions Illustrator was simply slow, now simply attempting to select an object causes Illustrator to stop responding. 

Specs:

Illustrator 26.0.2

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2304 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 w/ Max-Q Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying the steps, @GoodBullyLLC. I would request you to please try the steps suggested below and let me know how it goes:

I will be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same problem--tried the suggestions from Adobe and none worked. Re-installed Ai 25.4.2 and works fine. The update clearly wasn't tested properly before release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating performance issues are. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help fix these issues. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell who ever is in charge of software dev that a lot of people who've used Adobe for many years are complaining about the same slooow issue!! It's been this way since CC started with this cloud BS...it sucks!!! I for one hate it and will never use the cloud features. I have a very  dry capable 2019 Mac Pro with more memory than needed as well as a very high end GPU. So it's not my machine or "viewing in outlines" or any other stupid setting that should not require someone who paid for the software yearly year after year to "try and turn off" to operate correctly. How about making and deploying it at its best performance then letting people choose the addional "features" if they want? Seriously considering switching to affinity. - long time Adobe user since 1995.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Customer Care. They can look inside your system to figure out why yours is not performing: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify my earlier post...it wasn't 1995 but around 1997 or when ever illustrator 7 was released. I've tried clean installs of my latest OS then only Adobe CC and still had the same slow issue I've tried this multiple times with different OS since 2018 with my previous Mac Pro including my new Mac Pro. Same result. Just yesterday I stared a new doc with 3 tabloid sized artboards designing a logo with 3 different fonts and there was lag with every simple task...people who work fast will understand the frustration when you get a .5 to 1 sec lag for every simple task like drawing a line or coping and pasting a word. I've used previous illustrator versions in CS with very complicated files and multitudes of layers and artboards without issue so I know it's possible. 
Mac Pro 2019; Mac OS 12.5; 3.2 GHz 16 core intel XW; 240 GB memory; Radeon Pro W6800X 32 GB; 1 TB hard drive with 930 GB of free space and 4 additional scratch disks available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti, with all due respect, the "correct answer" as defined in the help article is an entirely lame attempt at solving the issue--"install a postcript printer and print something?!!" Did they pull this out of the Ai manual from 1987?! Your tech team should read the threads to see how users solve Adobe software issues....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a great machine and need to run adobe illustator with different softwares....is there a reason why the latest update is so slow? I tried all that was recommended and it's still slow....this is extremely annoying to see the rainbow pinwheel for every action I take and it's annoying that the response to the action is so lagged....this is unacceptable especially at the cost we all pay for....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a great machine

By @Soo5FF2

Please give us details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Soo5FF2,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing a few details like:

• The exact version of OS & Illustrator
  • System specification
  • Does beachball occur while performing a particular action/ using a specific effect or tool?
  • Does it happen in a new file or an existing file?
  • Where are your files & links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • What other application are you using simultaneously with Illustrator?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. Over and over again , Every update is even more worse then the previous one.

Also i am hoping on 1 good day i finally can leave the Adobe environment.
Alternatives are getting better and more compatible. And Adobe is digging its own grave with so much rubbish updates and even killing the PAntone books! The only feature i used adobe for....

Millions and billions are more important to Adobe the directors and stock holders  then customers and prolongivity, they have their millions now. And whatever happens after is other peoples problems, also for all the Adobe employees here on fora can probably shuff it after Adobe is at it's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the "we understand your frustration" response: CLEARLY YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OUR FRUSTRATION. IF YOU DID, YOU WOULD JUST FIX IT SO IT WORKS CORRECTLY ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines