• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file has been modified outside of Illustrator.

Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This file has been modified outside of Illustrator. Do you want to continue?"

I keep getting this message. Anyone know what it means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly when (save as, save, export)?

On saving existing .ai file

does the error happen every single time?

Not every. Sometimes program shows message (file error, cannot save - they may differ), sometimes it just crashes, leaving .tmp file in original file's directory. Sonetimes saves perfectly. One more thing: if i open .ai file's dir in Finder, click the file and after that deselect it, saving error sometimes disappears. Not sure about these cases, make not much tests on it.

type of drive: SSD, external drive, google drive, dropbox ? A screenshot of your drive would help as yo may have chosen the AFPS drive formatting?

Network drive.

Also, unable to save EPS files on network drive, error -47. It all started after updating to High Sierra.

Software version is CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Apple offering software updates downloadable for free, unfortuanately our enthusiasm gets us to upgrade to soon.

Backup your data then

How to Downgrade macOS High Sierra to macOS Sierra

or wait for apple to put out an update.

https://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macosHas anyone tried this yet, that is not saving to a network drive, but a SSD drive?
How to choose between APFS and Mac OS Extended when formatting a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Watch this link as many people posted and when Ashutosh is on something usually get resolved, but this one is taking awhile as they cant reproduce.

after updating to Mac OS 10.13 I get this file has been modified outside illustrator. do you want to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been quite some time since this problem first appeared.

How much longer do we have to wait for a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try downgrading to Sierra? You may be waiting a very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, downgrading is not a solution.

Expecting Adobe to address the issue – no other app is affected – is surely not an unreasonable expectation. He writes as Adobe helps themselves to more money from his bank account ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you install high Sierra, was there a need for this?

Did you update your Illustrartor to the latest patch? I believe Ashutosh from Adobe posted on another thread they adressed this specific issue but did not work for everyone. Some users created new users accounts with success.

Go to this link and vote if you already have not, and you will then be notified when Adobe when another update or solution comes out.

after updating to Mac OS 10.13 I get this file has been modified outside illustrator. do you want to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am up to date (all CC apps and High Sierra). I don't use network drives (working on file on external drive permanently wired to Mac). Issue persists sporadically. Not the end of the world – it does save – but it's disruptive and really ought to be addressed once and for all.  Next time the problem rears it's horrible little green spiky head I will try the Save As and overwrite option.

But right now, at this very minute, I am stepping away from this desk and admiring the setting sun with a glass of wine in my claws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeGondek  wrote

Why did you install high Sierra, was there a need for this?

Because I wanted to.

Yes.

Why am I paying Adobe a monthly fee for their software if they can't get utilize the beta period of High Sierra to get their software running correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens sporadically here, running Illustrator 22.0.1 on Mac OS v10.13.2

The latest incident is with a new file, saved once to internal SSD, then edited, then this message came up the next time I saved.

The file has not been opened in another app, neither do I have Bridge running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem but have seen no adverse affects on any part of the files.

So, irritating indeed, relevant... not so much.

I think the guy at Adobe who added this alert is the same guy that worked over

at Pantone when they decided to change the CMYK breakdown on spot colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this dialog too. I haven't opened the .AI file in any other app (I don't have another app that opens .AI and saves). Nothing has changed. I'm still paying Adobe about $50 a month for this.

#bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tallscot  schrieb

I'm getting this dialog too. I haven't opened the .AI file in any other app (I don't have another app that opens .AI and saves). Nothing has changed. I'm still paying Adobe about $50 a month for this.

#bug

Where are your files located?

Server? Synched volume?

What's you operating system? Which file system?

in most of these cases the issue carries the name "High Sierra".

You could try and turn off Apple's iCloud toys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the very same problem since yesterday, when I upgraded to High Sierra. I have never seen it before yesterday, never in Sierra. By the way, this same issue is being discussed here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started getting the same notification today. I am only working with one file in Illustrator and the only adjustments outside the software have been importing client-supplied .ai and .eps logos into my artwork, with the exception of one file which was a .pdf, which I extracted the logo from. I am working off our server, as I always have, not Dropbox or other storage systems.

I updated to High Sierra two weeks ago and am running CC 2018. The software is sluggish and takes ages to open and I've been having constant permissions issues with Photoshop and Illustrator ever since. Every other app (inc. Microsoft 365 products) is working fine. I'm not surprised that Adobe haven't got their act together yet - I called support because of the permissions issues last week and after half an hour of screen-sharing with them and installing/re-installing software, they told me it was an Apple issue and I needed to sort with them. They refused to put me through to a technical advisor. After speaking with them I spent an hour researching on the 'net and managed to find a solution, which was all to do with dumping Adobe prefs and reinstalling in a particular sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cyclopsdx: Regarding your "After speaking with them, I spent an hour researching on the net and managed to find a solution, which was all to do with dumping Adobe prefs and reinstalling in a particular sequence." Where precisely, did you find what sounds like very useful info? Can you share the URL? Thanks. AC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The permissions issue I had last week was specifically with the recent Adobe Xd update. It wouldn't recognise or open my working files. Unfortunately I was so frustrated with the support team that I just dug in and resolved the problem, not considering the sequence and process I took to correct it! If I can trace the processes back I'll post them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message appears for me when I save a file which has a linked file in it, such as a document in inDesign that has a linked AI file or an AI document that has a photoshop file linked.

I noticed that this happens when the linked file is in another drive or in a folder that seems to get its permission from another app.

So for example, I got this error today working on an InDesign document that has an illustrator file linked and the illustrator file was saved in another partition on my HD. The other case is when the Google Drive app is open, sometimes (not always) I get this message when I make changed to a file and save. Although in the same sessions before that it'd work normally without showing it. When I quit the google drive app the document saves normally with no problem.

So I think when the google drive is open it restricts changes to its folders. Same thing with the othr partition on my machine, although its the same Harddisk but I guess illustrator doesn't get a permission or it seems to read the file again as if it was opened fresh.

It seems like when the drive isn't constantly in use and it writes to it only when saving, so the connection to that drive or partition is lost and needs to re-established and the document will be overriden but the new saved one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is also the case with Dropbox. I don't use Drive, but I use Dropbox and have had this problem for months...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, do you read this. Can you please fix this issue for us all? Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fix and is available in the pre-release build. Please visit https://adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and get the latest build for version 22.1.

While the build is prerelease this build is of production quality. Please feel free to use/recommend it for your day to day activity.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Make It an Experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you make a fix for Illustrator CS6? Please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is five versions behind. There is not the slightest chance of any fix to it, for anything, ever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sikarbi  schrieb

Will you make a fix for Illustrator CS6? Please...

There is a fix for that issue in CS6: downgrade the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines