• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW DO ACCESS THE PANTONE SWATCH BOOKS IN INDESIGN

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I CAN'T FIND THE PANTONE BOOKS IN THE LATEST UPDATE OF INDESIGN.

THEY USED TO BE EASILY ACCESSED.

NOW I CAN'T FIND THEM AT ALL.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Hi Martin:

Did you open Window > Swatches > Swatches Panel menu > New Color Swatch, then choose a Pantone book from the Color Mode menu?

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.08.png

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't SHOUT!

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 20.18.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the color listing I get.

I get a cmyk window to create a color in process or spot

I'm in the US on a windows platform if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martin:

Did you open Window > Swatches > Swatches Panel menu > New Color Swatch, then choose a Pantone book from the Color Mode menu?

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.08.png

Screenshot 2018-02-03 13.51.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did this. But I don 't want to load just one swatch. I want to be able to view the whole library like I used to? Why is it unaccessible now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that you're confusing the way Pantone colors are viewed in Illustrator and in InDesign.

In InDesign, you scroll through a list, or enter a number in an interface like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 2.48.41 PM.png

I bet you're looking for the Pantone list appear in it own panel like it does in Illustrator:

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 2.50.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used to be able to, but I am running into the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the 'New Colour Swatch' window, select a colour book and shift-click to select multiple swatches, then click Add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you didn’t understand: In public forums, typing  in ALL CAPS IS LIKE SHOUTING. Please reply in upper/lower case. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantone has both process and spot color books. Try selecting Spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calling BS on some of the advice

In the very recent past, you were able to go into "Load Swatches" option, which is still listed in Indesign and load the entire library.

Now you can't? You can only load one color at a time? How convenient!

example

indesign_swatch_mess.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keithagu75  wrote

…In the very recent past, you were able to go into "Load Swatches" option, which is still listed in Indesign and load the entire library. …

You still can do this if you have a *.ase file at hand.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is THE LAMEST UPDATE TO HIDE PALLETS FROM US ! oh yeah we burried that pallet in the update - the seatches were small enough before now you gotta scroll the whole set to pick colors on screen? LAME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would Adobe change pallest on things that has worked for decades? Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An actual answer that works

Seeing, for what ever reason, we can no longer load the entire Swatch Library, even though the "Load Swatches" option is available, I figure out a way.

Swatches >> New Color Swatch >> Pick a Library (ex.Panatone Uncoated) >> Select the first swatch >> Scroll all the way down >>

Holding Shift , Select the last swatch, and click Add.

indesign_swatch_lib_01.jpg

indesign_swatch_lib_02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can account for this is if colour books were stored as some format other than ACB in an older version. This topic from 2009 suggests that it was not possible to 'load' colour book files as far back as CS4, though:

Swatches won't open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding Shift , Select the last swatch, and click Add.

As Uwe notes to load swatch files they have to be saved as .ase files (Adobe Swatch Exchange), so after shift clicking and adding the entire Pantone library to your swatches panel, you should be able to save out an .ase version of the .acb (Adobe Color Book) preset, which could then be loaded into other documents. You can also load the swatches from other InDesign files by selecting InDesign files from Load Swatches...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping the experts can help-- Pantone used to have a link in its annual fashion colors reports to the .ase file with the seasons' colors.  They no longer do this, but referred me to Adobe for these files.  I searched to no avail.  If there's a color angel, could you send me a link to where to find these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Keith,

I had this same issue with InDesign 15.1. Appreciate you sharing workaround with screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, but it leaves your swatches as an endless list, making color selection laborious and color comparison almost impossible. Why why why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just type the Pantone number into the search field and the swatch will be selected:

Screen Shot 10.pngScreen Shot 11.png

You might find the guide linked in this thread useful:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so now we have to manually load pallets ? cmon Adobe let's fix this ASAP what a pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has never had Color Book palettes. The book color libraries (which are .acb files stored in the application folder) have always been accessed via the Swatch panel’s Swatch Options>Color Mode. You could file a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the Pantone Connect extension, which might be what you are looking for:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/missing-pantone-in-swatches-2167c-help-with-acb-files/m-p/11...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was a smart work around (for a frustrating Adobe "dis"); I created a Pantone swatch folder. Ugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines