• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ID 18.4 PDF Export using Printer's Marks & Document Bleed shows incomplete rendering opening in Acro

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have updated to the new version (18.4) of InDesign, but while some documents export properly to PDF, some others don’t.

Windows 10.

Not too sure how to detail the problem better without attaching a file…

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Hi @Astronomie-Québec ,

a fix is under way, InDesign version 18.5.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

InDesign 2023 (version 18.5)

Core features and workflow

• "Shinso" Print Document Preset is of the correct size now.

Production

• Partial rendering of images in exported PDF using ‘All Printer’s Marks’ and ‘Use Document Bleed’ export settings.
  • PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.

Stability and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. As rightly said by @Laubender, the issue should be fixed with InDesign 18.5, which is released in phases. If you have the updates available in your country, please try updating and let us know if the issue is resolved for you. For the people who don't see the update, please wait until the full rollout.

Note:- This is a phase-wise rollout, and updates will be available to users of different countries in the coming days. Check your notifications

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Astronomie-Québec,

Thank you for sharing the InDesign file. The team would need a few more details from you.

• What is the image dimension and type present in the document?
  • Also, what is the color space destination used during exporting pdf?  

The above info will help the team to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

The color space destination is the default one from the PDF setting called “Print Quality.” I have added all printers marks and bleed, but otherwise did not modify the Print Quality setting.

I’m afraid I don’t understand your other question—the way I understand it, you should have the answers just by opening the InDesign file I supplied… Unless there’s something I missed?

Thanks,

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HARSHIKA_VERMA  Please note that without or with printer marks or zip or whatever, PDF for accessible pdf also always fails no matter the setting for pdf/ua and gives the error 'unexpected error: object reference not set to an instance of an object' in 18.4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made a 300 pages pdf with INDD 18.4, all marks and bleeds from doc, no problemes at all. I used the gwg2015 pdf/x-4 settings without any modification except for the marks and bleed. I'm on win10 entrprise, INDD 18.4 latest.

The pdf is made from a book file with 20 files and lots of little photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gert,

Interesting. The same PDF/X-4 settings, without any modification except for the marks and bleed, do produce the PDF properly for my job as well.

I guess the problem is now narrowed down to “Press Quality” + marks and bleed…

Best,

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems for me, standard "press quality" added all marks and document bleed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gert,

there are more factors into play, I think. Not only the PDF Export settings.

Perhaps the kind of images and perhaps effective PPI.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gert,

Strange. I guess then it might depend on the document and the links it contains, maybe also on the fonts.

Side question: The image of page 1 of your document is really nice! I can’t make out the word after “Réunies,” on the image, though. Is it “Tenne”? What does it mean?

Best,

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tifs and jpegs are imported. Just all what we had is used...

Tenne = tenu le 23 décembre 1909

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same error in 18.5, which is annoying, bacause every PDF has to be PAC3 compliant when working for the government and ministries in germany 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error is it you see?

PAC3 compliant means nothing, it is just a checker, it checks for PDF/UA compliancy (and some contrat but does so badly). But my PDF's from 18.5 do not trigger the Programm error when dropping on PAC anymore. If there are still problems in the check, maybe they are real pdf/ua violations?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error 'unexpected error: object reference not set to an instance of an object' still exists when dropping the PDF generated in 18.5 onto PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC) – even when nothing is in the PDF. The PDF then cannot be checked. I downloaded the newest beta and the error is gone – for now ;). So I hope it will be implemented in the next release, because my clients get angry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is you are in fact not yet updated to 18.5, it is really solved. There is no beta 18.5, there is however a pre release, since yesterday that is v 19 but nothing has changed there to pdf export.

Uninstall your current version and reinstall to make sure you are indeed on 18.5, it is solved in that. That said, 18.5 was rolled out in stages so you may have to check or reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say that, but I am on 18.5 for two days. So uninstalled and reinstalled it, but no success. With "newest Beta" I ment 18.9, which you can officially download. Maybe the german version on mac still has the problem. 18.9 does the job. Thats ok for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, strange enough beta 18.9 is older (don't let that version number fool you) and did not have the bug introduced in 18.4 😉

However, I have zero problems now in 18.5 in PAC.

For PDF's that give you that problem: just 'resave' in Acrobat Pro (for example add the pdf/ua identiefier then save or save as 'optimized' pdf etc.) that may 'cure' your PDF from that message...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the optimized trick did it.

To be more concrete: InDesign dokuments that were created before 18.4 don't get the error even in 18.5. Only documents that were created anew in 18.4 or 18.5 are affected. Did you make a new document in 18.5?

But its weekend now. So lets have a break 🙂 Thank you so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

the optimized PDF was a work around, so the PAC 2021 can check the PDF. But after saving to a new PDF, it is not accessible anymore, like pagination is not tagged. Pagination is on a Master page and should be artifact then. BTW: The settings in "optimized PDF" are set to do nothing but make a new PDF. 

So I will tell my client in the ministry, that at the moment Adobe is not able to make a proper PDF for PAC 2021 Checker. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I deinstalled and reinstalled the newest Acrobat. That reinstalls the Diestiller too. At the moment PAC2021 can check the PDF for accessability 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Astronomie-Québec ,

a fix is under way, InDesign version 18.5.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

InDesign 2023 (version 18.5)

Core features and workflow

• "Shinso" Print Document Preset is of the correct size now.

Production

• Partial rendering of images in exported PDF using ‘All Printer’s Marks’ and ‘Use Document Bleed’ export settings.
  • PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.

Stability and Performance

• InDesign crashes while quitting the application from the menu.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see 18.5 mentioned on https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/release-notes.html, but I don’t see it as available in my Creative Cloud… Two different machines, one Windows, one Mac, both in Canada. I also tried using a VPN that mocks me being in the United States, and InDesign 18.5 still doesn’t show up… Also, I tried all the tricks on https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-application-recognizing-available.html but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Astronomie-Québec ,

it's like always. First the new update is delivered to some regions of the world, then, after a few days when no serious bugs are reported, to all of the regions. Currently InDesign version 18.5.0.57 is available for Australia, Belgium, Hong Kong, India, Netherlands, and Switzerland based on Adobe IDs.

If you are part of InDesign Prerelease you could test 18.5 already now. How to join:

How to Join Creative Cloud Prerelease Programs
Erin Finnegan, Adobe Tech Blog, Oct 18, 2019, UPDATE July 24th, 2020
https://blog.developer.adobe.com/how-to-join-creative-cloud-prerelease-programs-ccecc10ae7d3

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. As rightly said by @Laubender, the issue should be fixed with InDesign 18.5, which is released in phases. If you have the updates available in your country, please try updating and let us know if the issue is resolved for you. For the people who don't see the update, please wait until the full rollout.

Note:- This is a phase-wise rollout, and updates will be available to users of different countries in the coming days. Check your notifications in the Creative Cloud Desktop application, or refresh the application to check for updates. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have noticed over the last few weeks that PDFs created in 18.4 are failing at various stages on our RIP. We are a printers so receive PDFs from all over so are getting PDFs crashing on our RIP pretty much daily now. The solution has been to place the PDF in an older version of Indesign and make a fresh PDF.  Some PDFs look fine but when a preview is generated, multiple elements are missing.

Hopefully all the people that have updated to 18.4 will update tp 18.5 quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I've been experiencing. Optimizing the PDFs in Acrobat seems to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had our first supplied 18.5 PDF today. Still crashed on the RIP on one of the output stages. Placing it back in to an earlier Indesign and making a fresh PDF solved it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines