Exit

Indesign 18.0 - Image Quality in PDF

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using Indesign 18.0

LNAIR_0-1667538685322.png

The image format is .jpg. When I export it in PDF, the images are blurry. I use the snipping tool and Greenshot to capture images. I do not have Illustrator, Photoshop, or SnagIt.

Please could anyone suggest a better option and the image format that I should use so that the images are clear enough in the PDF? 

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Your settings will not matter for a screenshot. Screenshots are low resolution. 

Either reset the text, find a vector version of what you're looking for, or reduce the size of the image. 

If you reduce the size of the image - go to Window>Links and with the image selected have a look at the Effective Resolution.

If it's 215 or above it should be fine for printing. 

EugeneTyson_0-1667805800185.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be in vector.

Sounds like you're making a screen grab - also called a screenshot - which would  be low resoltuion.

You can type that text. I think the font is called 'Pastoral Black'.

Where did you get the screenshot?

Maybe we can help get a better version for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I am preparing a user manual for a web application. I took screenshots from that app using the snipping tool and Greenshot and saved them in .jpg format.  Now when I export it in PDF, these images are blurry. 

I do not have Illustrator, Photoshop, or SnagIt. Please could you suggest a better option and the image format that I should use so that the images are clear enough in the PDF? 

"You can type that text. I think the font is called 'Pastoral Black'." I am unable to understand this, actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots are screenshots. Save them as PNG and leave them alone. You'll never get great quality out of them especially since you don't have any tools. If you do a lot of work with screenshots, I highly recommend Snagit, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, do not save as JPEG, use PNG. JPEG is designed for photographs only (the P stands for Photographic) and it will damage text and screen shots. 

Once you are using PNG, focus on your export settings. You haven't told us what they are, so we can't suggest better settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Test Screen Name , @BobLevine . 

Export Settings: General

LNAIR_0-1667566201256.png

Compression

LNAIR_1-1667566219496.png

Output

LNAIR_2-1667566238043.png

Advanced

LNAIR_3-1667566258777.png

Marks & Bleeds

LNAIR_4-1667566294652.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please could anyone check the Export Settings and let me know. please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want to know? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export Settings. I have added the screenshot above. Please could you check and let me know if I should make any changes for better quality images. I have replaced  jpg to png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings will not matter for a screenshot. Screenshots are low resolution. 

Either reset the text, find a vector version of what you're looking for, or reduce the size of the image. 

If you reduce the size of the image - go to Window>Links and with the image selected have a look at the Effective Resolution.

If it's 215 or above it should be fine for printing. 

EugeneTyson_0-1667805800185.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Eugene Tyson 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem at all. Anytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines