Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 - button library alert

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I recently faced difficulties in my InDesign CS6 on my Mac (macOS Sierra - 10.12.4) such that I could not open any projects/files no more. As a solution, I uninstalled the software using the uninstaller and reinstalled it with the delivered CD. Now, I and am constantly receiving a button library alert "buttonlibrary.indl could not be found" even though I did not use buttons in any of my current documents.

Looking for a solution, I found this post with the same problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/buttonlibrary-not-found/td-p/10652570  

I applied the suggested solution and again reinstalled the software, but the problem still occurs. Can anyone help? 

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is nearly 10 years old and unsupported under anything later than 10.7. While you may get things working again, I'm afraid you're pretty much on your own here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BobLevie for your quick response. 

You have any suggestions where to search, or what the issue might be? All help is appreciated (even assumptions).

Cheers, Dario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond finding an old computer or upgrading to Creative Cloud, no, I don't. Sorry, but I just thought you should be aware that even if you get suggestions it's entirely possible they won't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to have a quick look at some old In Design files you could download the seven-day trial version of InDesign and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP is on an 10.12 which will not support any available version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answers.

@Derek Cross: I am able to open the files again. However, it is very disturbing to receive an pop-up alert (button library) every few minutes, while working. 

I did not find a way to hide that alert. any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dario22295545ztt5 , i don‘t think there should be a problem running CS6 on Sierra, I have it running on Mojave. Check your application folder and make sure the Button Library folder and ButtonLibrary.indl has been installed:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clearing the cache and see if that helps. Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Look under Resetting InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day & @Peter Spier 

Very helpful tipps! Thanks. I'll check that and let you know if 1) I found such a file and 2) clearing the cache helped. 

Stay tuned! Aloha..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beleieve the folder is hidden in recent versions of Mac OS, so you have to search for it properly. You can google how to find hidden files and folders on Mac if you don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the ButtonLibrary.indl file (screenshot attached) seems like it was properly installed. Was also able to open it accordingly in InDesign - surprisingly, no problems here.

Cleared cache and reset (aka trashed) InDesign preferences as described in the post from Mike Witherell.

However, the alert still pops up. Seems like it did not help. Will keep an eye on it in the following days and let you know. Thank you anyways for your inputs!! Suggestions are always appreciated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try running the Adobe Cleaner app and reinstalling again:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day does this also work for CS instead of CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is it cleans out all of the installed Adobe files—not just the application folder. There is a mention about older installations at the bottom of the page, but you should have a complete backup and working CS6 installers before cleaning. I would consider a cloned backup of the startup disk with something like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Are you installing in the startup drive’s Application folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might also look at a system maintenance application before doing anything. I regularly use Cocktail to run the Mac OS maintenance scripts. What you are describing seems like some kind of caching problem.

https://www.maintain.se/cocktail/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines