• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file icon shows blank/white/no thumbnail in ID 18

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Indesign and deleting the previous version, all my files are saved as different versions (not Indesign) I have attached a screenshot of what they are saved as, all the files that are just a white page with a folded corner are supposed to be my indesign folders. I can open them from the indesign app, but I cannot open them straight from the documents folder of my computer or send them as an Indesign file to someone for them to edit on their own computer.

I tried creating a new document on this new version of the app and saving it, and same thing happened. 

How can I get it to save as Indesign file as usual, like with Illustrator and others?

Thanks in advance!screenshot help.JPG

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

1. You should enable file extensions:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type file explorer, and in the search results, select File Explorer.

• In File Explorer under View, in the Show/hide group, select the File name extensions check box.

2. Change the default application for the .indd file type.

• Right-click the file and choose Open With > Choose Another App>Select InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Hi @Helia24457872v5wh,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you're experiencing a similar issue reported here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/symbole-aller-indesign-dateien-verschwunden-pc-mit-windows-10-enterprise/td-p/13318301.

If so, then it's a known issue, and the team has logged a ticket with the Microsoft team. You'll definitely see the improvements in future releases.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

After a quick private briefing with @HARSHIKA_VERMA  I solved my problem probably caused after the update to 18.2.1 by some kind of conflict with a second version 17.4.1 already installed in a different language (two different versions active at the same time).

In my case I have two versions installed, one in English (18.2.1) and the other in Italian (17.4.1). Everything worked normally until the English one was updated to v. 18.2.1.

Disappearing thumbnails were fixed by simply uninstalling all ve

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Thank you for sharing the requested info. I checked with the team, and they confirmed this is a known bug and are working on it. 

We'll keep you posted with the update on the bug.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You should enable file extensions:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type file explorer, and in the search results, select File Explorer.

• In File Explorer under View, in the Show/hide group, select the File name extensions check box.

2. Change the default application for the .indd file type.

• Right-click the file and choose Open With > Choose Another App>Select InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this work for you or are you still having issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these "fixes" work for me - all my Indesign files are blank icons. Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm not sure that any of the answer(er)s actually understand what the problem is. Because double-clicking the blank icon still opens the document in InDesign... it just doesn't show the InDesign icon in the folder, which is only annoying when trawling through trying to find it. I just want the icon to display like it did before. The software works and you can open a document when InDesign is not open by double-clicking it. It'll find the software. It just doesn't display the icon. It's irritating, more than anything. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand completely because I had the same issue...white icons. I finally fixed it by editing the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey it sounds like you actually know what our issues are at work, too! No one else seems to get it. Just seems like a strange visual glitch. What do you mean you fixed it by editing the registry? Could you give some more info what that would mean or how to do it? We would love to get a fix in our office and so far you seem to be the only person with some sort of solution mentioned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Helia24457872v5wh,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you're experiencing a similar issue reported here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/symbole-aller-indesign-dateien-verschwunden-pc-m....

If so, then it's a known issue, and the team has logged a ticket with the Microsoft team. You'll definitely see the improvements in future releases.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen,

ich habe seit geraumer Zeit das Problem, dass alle Indesign-Dateien nur noch ein "Leeres Papier-Symbol" zeigen. Auf Doppelklick öffnen sie sich zwar korrekt in Indesign, aber optisch stört es mich einfach. Alle anderen Programme wie z.B. Photoshop, Illustrator und Co. aus der CS zeigen ihre korrekten Icons.

Die google-Suche führte zu ein paar Lösungsansätzen, die aber alle bei mir nicht funktionierten.

Eine Neuinstallation von Indesign blieb ebenfalls erfolglos.

Kann hier vielleicht jemanden helfen?

Vielen Dank im Voraus,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm I have this empty paper icon for 2023 too... odd. 

I've tried to change it- it will change to Illustrator/Photoshop - but not to InDesign icon... odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue after installing 2023 InDesign.  Tried above but did not resolve.  Any other advice?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jans45937306,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting the issue. I am checking with the team regarding this issue. Could you please confirm if you're experiencing this issue on the previous version of InDesign? 

Does that happen with all files or with a specific file?

@Eugene Tyson, thank you for testing and confirming you're experiencing the issue. Are you also on a windows machine?

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - tested on Windows 10 (up to date 4 November 2022. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Harshika,

vielen Dank für die Unterstützung. Ich habe das Problem schon seit geraumer Zeit (vor ungefähr 6-10 Monaten).

Also auch mindestens schon mit der Vorgänger-Version.

Ja, dass betrifft tatsächlich sämtliche Indesign-Dateien. Wie gesagt, öffnen sie sich korrekt in Indesign und auch sonst sind mir keine Fehler aufgefallen. Lediglich das Icon wird nicht angezeigt. Als ich einmal zu Testzwecken eingestellt habe, dass die Indesigndateien mit Illustrator geöffnet werden sollen, zeigten die Dateien auch das Illustrator-Icon an. Nachdem ich wieder korrekt auf Indesign umgestellt habe, war wieder nur das "LeereSeite.Icon" zu sehen.

Viele Grüße

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the requested info. I checked with the team, and they confirmed this is a known bug and are working on it. 

We'll keep you posted with the update on the bug.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated my Indesign CC to latest version (18.0) and now my working files are showing up as PDFs. I can still work on them as they are indesign files, but I need to open from Indesign instead of my computer. Does anyone know what is causing this issue or how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a file association issue.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-change-file-associations/#:~:text=Step%201%3A%20Right....

I believe there is a known issue with InDesign 18.0 on windows shows a blank document icon for InDesign.

So if no icon shows correctly for InDesign, I believe it's being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you should allow Windows to display all file extensions. That out of the way, Eugene is right, it's a file association issue. You need to change that in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alana-HL-2022,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes, as rightly said by our expert, this is a file association issue. Please try the suggestion shared by our experts. 

The team is working on the blank/white thumbnails in the InDesign document, and we'll share the update as soon as we hear back from the team. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, is there an update on this, or do we know when the next release is coming out? I am having the same issue with InDesign 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the file association in the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, as you would see from others above, we have tried this and it does not work for some. Adobe has admitted there is a bug and I am just wondering when to expect this to be resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines