Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Flashing Screen When Moving Objects

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am using indesign on my 14inch macbook pro apple m1 monterey. Each time I move an object the artboard & background workspace flashes. I have checked and both my indesign & macbook softwares are up to date. 

I have noticed it seems to happen when I drag the indesign window from my main macbook screen to my seperate monitor. That seems to activate the glitch and then it flashes each time I move an object on both my macbook & monitor screen.

Hoping theres a way to fix this thanks

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Problem is fixed in Sonoma 14.3 released January 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rulers are still on in that video. Turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned them off (that was a new example document in the video and I forgot to hide them)--it may be 10-20% better, but it's still doing it with the rulers off in both example and real documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note. If rulers are turned ON, then when I go to drag a marquee around something, the screen turns completely white and you cannot see what you are dragging around. If the rulers are turned OFF, this behavior does not happen. So, I can 100% say that turning off the rulers solves one aspect of this problem 100% of the time. The quick flashes when dragging an object still happens regardless, but, it may be slightly better with rulers off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn ON(!) GPU rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all computers have the GPU setting enabled. I contacted Adobe and they said it was an issue with rulers and that the next update would sort it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the same problem with my new 14" M3 Max laptop. Even with this good spec, I was still getting the white flashing when moving objects. Unticking the GPU Performance didn't work for me.
What DID work for me was to change the [ Preferences > Display Performance ] from the 'high quality' Default view to 'fast'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to turn GPU rendering ON and rulers OFF....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys--once again--some of the Macs out here do not allow you to change the GPU rendering setting such as the M1 Mac Mini. Again, the flashing screen *did not happen* before this new Mac OS X Sonoma update. Turning off rulers also does not stop it on a majority of computers out here. 

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 11.56.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another similar incident report here now from into the new year (2024) of screen white-out on cursor moves in InDesign (v.19.0.1) on a MacBook 16" Retina M1. Like markd70743250, InDesign does not "detect" a "compatible" GPU and Monitor. I am running Sonoma 14.2.1. The latest Photoshop (non-beta 2024) does detect the monitor and GPU fine...

Once again, regardless of on which Big Tech powerhouse these blunders are to be laid, we must wait for it to be sorted. I don't care who "owns" the primary cause. Mainly because I also don't believe these two companies have engineers who don't confer and collaborate, I think this is merely a matter of how many users are affected, and what the ROI is for resolution. In the meantime we manage. I have used Photoshop since v.2.1 and InDesign since it was beta and Quark Xpress was the giant to be slain. Lots worse than this have occurred in the history of using these software tools for productive work. I am writing merely to add a data point. The hints offered here don't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

UPDATE: I just updated my Sonoma to the 14.1.2 - I believe this fixed this issue! I turned the rulers back on and I didn't get the annoying flickering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also updated to Sonoma 14.2 and installed the latest updates for InDesign and Photoshop. The problems in InDesign (flashing screen) and Photoshop (incorrect image display) have not been resolved.
Apparently we don't pay enough money for this software junk that the guys at Adobe don't finally get to work and fix these annoying bugs. I really wonder why I should put myself through this hassle any longer. There has been enough time to fix the bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is in Sonoma! That much as been established.

I suggest letting your feelings be known to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a "Apple/Sonoma" bug, then why is InDesign the ONLY app that has this problem for me – along with the page view moving to the far left of the screen by itself, and the page view scrolling by a few pixels up and to the left every time I click on anything on the page.

I don't really care who is to blame or why... all I know is, InDesign is the only app that suffers from this and so many others that they claim is an OS bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's an InDesign bug then why was fixed with Sonoma 14.3 BY APPLE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running macOS 14.3.1 and the latest version of InDesign and it is most decidedly not fixed. But full disclosure: I didn't even start having this problem until 14.3.1 was installed, along with ID 19.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most users are reporting it as being fixed. Do you have GPU Performance enabled? If so, try turning it off. That is indeed an InDesign issue that has existed since day one of its release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Apples bug! It was solved in 14.2 beta 4 but the release version did not include the fix. This one is NOT on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you claim it's just Apple's bug?
In the Indesign preferences under "GPU performance" it says: "No compatible GPU and monitor recognised"

So, unlike Photoshop, InDesign has not yet been adapted to the GPU.

Since when do we now have devices with an M1 chip?
It's about time, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A typical response from all computer software companies or computer companies when something isn't working right has always been "It's the other guys fault!"

A problem I have always had with Adobe is when an app crashes and you send in what you were doing with it crashed the return is always a solution can't be found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To muddy the waters further, in addition to the MacBook 16 M1 Max, Sonoma 14.2.1, and InDesign, which flashes the screen and doe NOT recognize the GPU or the monitor, I have a Studio M1 Ultra, Sonoma 14.2, and InDesign which DOES recognize the GPU and the Apple Studio Display, and does NOT flash the screen under test conditions. Go figure.... I can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that does is confirm that turning on GPU Performance is helpful in working around this bug until Apple fixes it. On the other machine, turn off the rulers in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching off the rulers does not always solve the problem. You often have to switch the rulers on first and then off again. There are also plenty of occasions when the rulers are needed. GPU performance cannot be switched on or off in InDesign! And in Photoshop, display errors exist regardless of whether GPU performance is switched on or off.
And I'm really fed up with waiting for the sleepyheads in Cupertino or at Adobe. These problems have been going on for months now without any of these ignoramuses dealing with them. I have the suspicion that neither Adobe nor Apple cares. Instead, the guys around Tim Cook have just released a new update with new emoji nonsense: Emoji reactions can be added to any track in a collaborative playlist in Apple Music.
WOW, how important!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple released the update to macOS Sonoma 14.3 today (January 22) which beta testers claimed has now fixed the bug. Please upgrade and see if works for you. I'm upgraded to 14.3 but I'm one of the users who never suffered display issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. Your comment on 'turning on and off rulers' fixed my flashing screen when scrolling today. So tired of Indesign having issues like this - I don't care who's fault it is, just want it sorted! Makes being a Graphic Designer a nighmare.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree. Your comment on 'turning on and off rulers' fixed my flashing screen when scrolling today. So tired of Indesign having issues like this - I don't care who's fault it is, just want it sorted! Makes being a Graphic Designer a nighmare.... 

By @dianal78711302

Did you update to macOS 14.3? It's supposed to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines