Outline text with bullets & numbering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to outline bullets and numbering along with text in Indesign cc 2018. Once I click "create outlines" bullets and numbering would disappear. Is it just me? Does anyone else experience this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018
Like the others who have responded to you, I will note that “outlining text” is an exceptionally poor workflow practice. The exceptions are:(1)     You need to achieve some artistic effect with some limited text that cannot otherwise be achieved with other InDesign effects that work with text.(2)     You need vectors for purposes of sending artwork to sign cutting or similar systems that cannot handle text as realized via fonts.The fact that you are concerned about full paragraphs with bullets a...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021
defaultks8d4yvdbu1n said: "For example Im working within the signage and wayfinding sector, I outline text daily." Yes. Perfectly doable within Acrobat Pro with a loaded PDF exported from InDesign. Here are the steps: Open the exported PDF in Acrobat Pro DC. Go to Print Production > Preflight Select "Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles". Then list and select Single Fix Ups > Document > Convert fonts to outlines Now run the single fix up with button Fix. Forgot to add this screenshot from Acrobat ...

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now THIS is the reply I have been looking for! This SOLVED the problem for me. Thank you so much!

And yes as other people have stated in an ideal world this would not be needed but when you're contracted by a Government department to create artwork you have no control over who the printer, and trust me in regional areas most printers can't be trusted with live fonts!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the best answer; Bullets and Numbering are not the only text features that get lost when you outline text inside InDesign. You will also lose underlines and text frame colors, to name a few.

The best answer for when you have no choice but to outline text -- use the tools in Acrobat PreFlight to do the outlining.

That way, you will be assured of not lossing any text attributes along the way.

It's under Print Production > Preflight

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 8.22.22 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the convert fonts to outlines option in my Prepress, Color and Transparency options in my Acrobat  / Preflight.

Is that something you had to download or should it be included in the standard install/update.

I'm a CC subscriber and my current Acrobat is: Adobe Acrobat Pro DC  2021.005.20048

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wait no I found it, (I noticed your screenshot had to the 3rd(spanner) option selected.

Ok great, so this will handly paragraph rules, bullets, etc?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - if you use this (Acrobat) method of outlining fonts, all of the font bits and pieces that would be lost if you outlined within InDesign will be preserved.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh perfect thank you

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about that, a solution on the Adobe community, not just someone making people feel small because their workflow isn't the same as theirs!

I always dread searching for stuff here since it's invariably 45% condecension, 45% dogma, 10% solutions

Thanks TrapTurkey for solving my issue, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This illustrates @SJRiegel ’s helpful post—create outlines makes a mess of this text frame:

Screen Shot 69.pngScreen Shot 70.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

November of 2021 and your answer is still helping people! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

defaultks8d4yvdbu1n said:

"For example Im working within the signage and wayfinding sector, I outline text daily."

Yes. Perfectly doable within Acrobat Pro with a loaded PDF exported from InDesign.

Here are the steps:

Open the exported PDF in Acrobat Pro DC.

Go to Print Production > Preflight

Select "Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles".
Then list and select Single Fix Ups > Document > Convert fonts to outlines

Now run the single fix up with button Fix.

Forgot to add this screenshot from Acrobat Pro:

ConvertFontsToOutlines-SingleFix-AcrobatPro.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

//EDITED: Added screenshot

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK great, thanks for the info. This should be marked as the correct answer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines