• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe should visit this forum and make their own assessment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Brand new iMac24 M1 / 8Mb / Big Sur

Installed directly InDesign 16.4 

I'm copping text from a web page. So I' wondering if it has to do with HTML embedded on the copy/paste.

Have to toggle preview mode on/off to make text reapear. Impossible to work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new Mac (MacOS Big Sur v11.4) and am using InDesign version 16.3.2. The text in my documents disappears when I make changes or scroll up or down. It reappears if I scroll up and down. I've read other posts about this occurring, and one response said this problem was fixed with version 16.3 of InDesign. But, it happens to me constantly, and it's making my work take a LOT longer. Can you please advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ronale0D4D Sorry to hear about this. The newest version is 16.4, which should be rolled out everywhere by now. Can you check your CC desktop app for updates and install that version to see if the issue is fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to 16.4 doesn't fix the issue of disappearing text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS? Also let us know which device you're using. Do you notice this behavior with a specific file? 

Do you still see this behavior when you disable the GPU Performance under Preferences?

This information would help us assist you accordingly. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Affinity Publisher. I don't have time to QA your product. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first...update to 16.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I did update to version 16.4 and that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. So glad that cleared things up for you. Thanks for letting us know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it did for a day! Today, the disappearing text is happening all over again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes me at least 5x longer to get anything done because it keeps deleting my text. Please help. If one can't edit text indesign, what is the point. This has been happening for months no matter the version. How does anyone accomplish anything if you constantly have to undo and reenter your text changes 5 times before it sticks? Just brutal. So frustrating. And a design killer, too. Sob. Please help? I can screen record it happening but i'm not permitted to post a video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hadn't and it didn't come up in my search. weird. checking it out now. thank you! 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? Do you see this behavior with a specific file?

Please make sure you have the latest version of the app installed. Resetting preferences of the app might be helping as well. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ashutosh! I'm on and Apple M1 powerbook, macOS Big Sur 11.5.2, running InDesign 16.4. Thank you again! I will try resetting preferences, too. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Does the text disappear or it is only pushed out of the visible part of the document? Switch to the text view.
    Mac: cmd+y
    Win: ctrl+y
  2. Do you use Paragraph Styles? It is important to do so. You might have set up a styling which makes the text disappear from your eyes, either due to keep settings (manually or in Paragraph styles), in a text colour without colour or with an no break attribute (manually or in Paragraph or Character styles).
  3. Maybe another object has a text wrap applied which does not allow text in most text frames on that page, it can be an object on that page, or on another page of the same spread or an object of any parental master of that page or any page of the spread.
  4. Another reason could be a damaged or incompatible font.
  5. Or a text maybe invisible if an object is above the text frame and it covers it up. This object could have paper colour. You may find it on the same or on the parental master page. Look into the Layer Panel and open all Layers to find if there is something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite obviously none of these things, it would be impossible for everyone to be having the exact same issue and for any of these use cases to be the reason. Why is Adobe smokescreening this to this extent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please guess again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please guess again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please show a screenshot with "Show hidden characters" turned On and the Properties ( or Control) panel visible, with the Text cursor placed in the problem textbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new MacBook Pro M1

InDesign 16.4

Same issue!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running on MacBook Pro 13 inch M1, Big Sur OS. And with inDesign 16.4 installed, the problem of the disappearing text keeps occuring. Tried the GPU settings trick. Tried closing as many apps as possible. Nothing worked. Would be nice to have this looked at, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this workflow-killing issue for months as well. Tried all the tricks listed previously, but none work for more than a few minutes.

I read that some think its a RAM issue, and many of us seem to have M1 Macs with 8GB of RAM—is there anyone reading this discussion who's got 16GB of RAM? if so, what has your experience with disappearing text been like?

My machine: late 2020 Mac Mini M1 with 8GB RAM and 512GB hard drive,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines