• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone following this thread. I contacted Adobe for tech support regarding the disappearing text / text previewing issue in InDesign, and I had a remote access session with the guys. They said it's a font issue that they fixed by accessing my machine. It seems resolved (although I am hesitant ... watch this space). Worth a try getting in tough with helpdesk and investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A font issue. That only InDesign has. Only on M1 Macs. But not M1 Max. Ya, no. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no font issue. They told me same. Loose all conflicting fonts etc etc.

But Jeff is right. I bought a M1 Max with big GPU instead of my M1 from Februari and all the problems are over!

It's code problem of Adobe. After 20 years there still building on the same platform. I had presentations 15 years ago with great idea's of Adobe but they never came out. They showed things of next level program integration, we are still waiting. The have to rebuild CC all over again. They competition of grafic programs is a lot a steps ahead of CC.

I bit the same as Quark 20 years ago. Who dares to take the first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question--if the M1 Max works but the M1 doesn't, wouldn't that point to an Apple problem (with the M1 processor)? It seems to me that Apple is constantly throwing curve balls between the old processors, the new processors, and the continual OS changes. Not saying that InDesign doesn't have a code problem, but it seems like Adobe is coding to a moving goal post. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the M1 Pro work ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the InDesign type issues I experienced with the M1 chip do not appear on my M1 Pro laptop. I've had it since realease day and work on InDesign every day; no issues at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be a RAM thing. That Adobe has not efficiently dealt with RAM in the M1 chips. 16 GB, like mine, should be enough. The MAX has 32+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe more the number of GPU core, rather than the RAM it seems.
But yea from the feedback it definitely looks like bad hardware ressource
management with Adobe's software. They say "M1 version" but it's probably
just quick a port, not an optimized rebuild for the M1 chip. Would explain
why they can't seem to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree; a port for sure (says the guy who knows nothing about programming!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My choice of words may sound ridiculous because I'm indeed not, I'll give
you that.
But it's a common thing you can hear from developers that apps code need to
be redone almost completely (or whatever words pleases you) when going from
one type of chip to another. Or else they often end up as unoptimized and
buggy (Why, how, what's the color of their socks? idk). So did Adobe
rewrote almost the entirety of all their apps in 1-2 years of time?
Something is just making me think they choose the fastest route to deliver
the software asap. But I don't know, maybe Adobe is just special and
doesn't have to do what other developers rant about having to do when
adapting software to a new chip.
I'll leave it to experts such as yourself to say 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was referring to ME not knowing about programming. It's anyone's guess, so I jumped in.

But yes, absolutely. I have a hard time believing they rewrote their apps fresh to be compatible with M1. It's just not how they aperate as is evident over the decade at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I AM STILL EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE. 

I have the same setup as other commenters:

2021 MacBook Pro with M1 chip

Running latest Indesign (17.0.1)

All my text boxes disappear as soon as I change any text. Hitting preview makes them reappear. I really can't work like this.

Adobe you need to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME TOO.

IT'S INFURIATING. Noone can work like this. 

It's not a font issue, can't be any of the other issues either with the computer, microchip etc, Adobe has to make it work for us designers. 

COME ON Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off and then on again GPU Performance in the prefs. It buys you some time before it happens again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNBEARABLE way to work. I'm loosing hours of billable time.

Is Adobe reducing the monthly rate due to this issue.

How can we work on Long copy documents like this.

I have used InDesign for over 20 years. I spent the past few years using an old mac with a purchased InDesign (so old) and now I'm on a 2 month old Mac and first time Adobe Suite subscription and this is awful.

VIDEO ATTACHED of the pain of editing simple text no images 1 page only.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

MAC OS 11.4

InDesign 16.4 on Monthly Payments Annual Plan

Adobe PLEASE HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i am running Indesign 16.4, Imac 2020, 12.0.1, 3.3 ghz-6 core intel core i5, 8 gb memory. Every time i edit text the text disappears. Scrolling up and down makes it visible again. But i also have that text will crumble. Odd characters appear. Also scroling up and down resolves that. And third, when scrolling through the document, text on some pages is not the right one. Its the text of the page before. So it appears screen rebuilt is not working properly. Also here scrolling up and down or put an extra return in the text makes it okay. This really slows down my production. I cannot trust the screen anymore. When is this going to be fixed?

Best Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same issue with disappearing type!
A week old 14 inch macbook pro,  16GB M1 Pro chip,

OSMonterey 12.0

Indesign 17.01

Zooming in and out works half the time.

Also, scrolling pages of a long copy doc is NOT SMOOTH, It's sticky and delayed..
I expected more speed, not less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zelio, Can I ask how many GPU you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Sorry to hear that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix I flip guides on and off instead of the zooming. 

But I guess now we need 32 GB of M1 RAM. 16 doesn't cut it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is in the number of GPU's not in the RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Game on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple in November 2020 released the first Macs with an Arm-based M1 chip, debuting new 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini models.

…1 year later

Adobe in November 2021 has not been able to optimize their software (ie: InDesign) for the M1 chip models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe. Find a fix. It's getting impossible to work on longer documents. I loose so much time. I'm almost loosing my sanity over this. This is completely killing the joy of design. Every edit I make I have to zoom in or out or... this is just nuts. Please, fix it. You can do it! I'm sure of it. I am at a point where I'm giving jobs to others people just to reduce the time I have to spend in Indesign. Please. And if you can't fix it, just tell us, at least we know then we can't use Indesign anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It getting worse by the day. I have a book of 600 pages and it takes me days this way. This is really unacceptable. Indesign cc2021. OS monterey. Imac 2020. PLEASE fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines