• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from InDesign 2022 (17.0) on macOS Monterey

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to macOS 12.0.1 and InDesign can't save or export files anymore. 

What I tried with no success:

• Delete Cache and Prefrences in the Library folder
  • Uninstall / Install InDesign
  • Rebooted the system
  • Logged out and in from my Adobe Account
  • Tried to use the Intel and M1 verison of InDesign. Same problems

So, clicking (or using the shortcuts) Save or Export, nothing happens. When I try to place another document the attatched, broken dialog appears.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried but couldn't replicate this issue at our end. However, few users have confirmed that disconnecting the Sidecar has helped resolving this issue. 

Could you please confirm you are using Sidecar and does removing it helps resolving this issue?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Not Sidecar @Srishti Bali but I use this USB-C dongle: https://minix.com.hk/de/products/neo-c-x-de (1. version). AND when disconnecting the Macbook from the dongle/monitor, all dialogs work again. 

Please release an update. All other Adobe application work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Was horrified to update to OS Monterey yesterday so that I could update to InDesign 2022 today. Menus drop-downs no longer worked in InDesign so couldn't export to PDF presets and had to go through the "Export" keyboard shortcut. Found one solution. I set the Apple System Preferences -> Accesibility -> Display to "Reduce Transparency". Menu function is now working correctly. Now to go find out where all my PhotoShop shortcuts went...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

This issue went away for me when I updated the macOS to 12.1. I was having the saving issues with Adobe, Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox and other programs, but the update seems to have fixed everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

When I went to upvote, I discovered someone said that simply updating Monterey to 12.1 solved the problem. So I upgraded. And it did. WOW, wish I'd known it was that easy. All that agony for naught!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 128 Replies 128
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lauren,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This issue has been reported by many users on macOS Monterey and product team is working to resolve it as soon as possible.

At this point of time, the only workaround is to disconnect the external display. We'd request you to stay tuned for updates. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any immediate plans to fix these known issues?

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html

I would love to use my external monitor again. I noticed an update was pushed but this bug was not fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the trouble. We are currently investigating this issue. So please upvote this issue here and stay tuned for updates.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help,  we would suggest disconnecting the external monitors.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 
MacOS Monterey v 12.0 
Adobe InDesign 2022 17.0

I opened a document (created in a previous version of Indesign) made some minor changes and cannot seem to save it as a PDF. I get the error 'This document contains links to files/URL(s) that are not accessible. Please check your network connectivity or the original source of content."

When I investigated this particular error,  most of the advice seems to say that you need to enable Folder permissions in System Preferences for InDesign.  However, the only checkbox I see listed under InDesign in the Files and Folders is 'Network Volumes'. 

I can create a new document with text/images and save it as a PDF okay.

I tried copying the page contents from the original file into a new doc, but that didn't work. 

I can export as a jpg without getting an error, but the jpg is blank.

All status of all the links in my original file is OK. 

I have tried exporting to both local folder and cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, 

Im having the same issue as well when i updated InDesign to 2022 version. Mine doesnt have the error but when i press the shorcut keys for exporting or save as, i does not do anything at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help, we would suggest disconnecting the external monitor(s) or iPad (Side Car).

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having also issues in trying to Save As...

A blank prompt pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @amalia blancap31718096,

Sorry about the trouble. I would like to know if you have tried the workarounds shared above by me?

Regards,

Anshul Siani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading to InDesign v16.4 doesnt fix the problem either. Seems like its a Monterey problem wtih InDesign version in general. I tried the trick of disconncting an external monitor and when I go to Export it brings up a blank window that won't let me actually Export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot Save

I cannot Save As

I cannot Export

… so many functions are not working in InDesign 2022!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mc-nish@online.no @Uhmmmaybe

Sorry about this trouble. I would request you to please try the following workarounds and let us know if you are able to save As or export or not:

1. Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here.
  2. If that doesn't help, we would suggest disconnecting the external monitor(s) or iPad (Side Car).

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini That fixes the problem but brings all the headaches of completely changing your workflow. PLEASE elevate this issue to the top. It's making Adobe software pretty close to unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that workaround worked for you. We are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, I would request you to please be patient and stay tuned for updates.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, when will you be pushing out an update to fix the MAJOR issue with inDesign not saving? I updated to Monterey, and had to reinstall ALL my Adobe products just to get any of them to work, and now they only straggler is InDesign. When will this be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an 17.0.1 update rolling out now. May take a few days to get to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @christinea5734614

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Some users confirmed that the issue gets resolved after updating to macOS Monterey v12.1. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem. I received the following as an help issue: "Try to reset preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch it while holding down the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys [Windows], Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys [Mac] until you see a warning message asking for confirmation." but the only thing it does is opening the general menu (the one we can get using the right button).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ricardo H,

I am sorry to hear about that. I would request you to please confirm the exact version of macOS & version of InDesign.

Also, I would suggest you update macOS to v12.2 & InDesign v17.1 if not done already.

If that doesn't help, then please share a screenshot or small video demonstrating the issue.
It will help me understand the issue and assist you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issues, Indesign opens up a file just fine and when i make the smallest change it converts to a "read only file" and needs to "save as" - if only i could overwrite the existing file i would be okay with that for now but i have to rename every time, pretty frustrating.

OS 12.2.1 / InDesign 17.1

I keep hoping for this to be soved either by apple or adobe - idk - just fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jacobmadsen,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. The issue discussed in this post is different from the one you are facing. I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• Is this happening with some specific files or all?
  • Where are your files & links saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • Are you getting any warning or error messages? If yes, please share a screenshot.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue seems to happen when an application is open for quite a while (doesn't matter if it's Apple Mail or one of the Creative Cloud applications). Suddenly open files cannot be saved or exported (the options are greyed out).

I am saving files to my System HDD. Running Monterey 12.2.1.

No warnings or error messages.

Working primarily on an external 4K monitor connected to my M1 chip MacBook Air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details. I would suggest you try the steps mentioned in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...) and let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have an new MacBook pro m2 with everything upto date as of today, indesign still will not work even without an external monitor and uninstalling does not work, I need indesign for work please any updates so i can save my work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, any new updates on the problem being discussed. I have tried all the fixes, my Mac is updated to macOSMonterey 12.5.1 and Indesign was just updated. Now I'm also getting the message: Cannot open the document. You may not have permission or the document may be open already. I'm the only one using this computer with access to this document.Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.16.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines