Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

align stroke to inside for excluded overlap

Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign 15.0,2 on macOS 10.15.3

Please excuse if this has been addressed before, I could not locate a pertinent thread or find the information in the Reference. 

I get an unexpected result when applying Stroke to a compound path with excluded overlap. 

»Align stroke to inside« will align the stroke to the inside only on the outer path-element, but outside relative to the inner path-element – meaning the stroke will cover the fill only one one side. 

And vice versa for »Align stroke to outside«. (see screenshots, I hope the blue line indicating the actual paths will be evident.)

indesignAlignStrokeToInside.jpg

This seems incongruous with stroke behaviour in Illustrator or Photoshop, so am I overlooking something or is this ins some way intentional? 

Thanks in advance, 

Pfaffenbichler 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope the blue line indicating the actual paths will be evident.

It looks like you have made the selection using the Selection tool (black arrow) . I might be misunderstanding your question, but if you use the Direct Selection tool (white arrow), the stroke relative to the selection marquee would be what I think you are expecting:

Screen Shot 4.pngScreen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking this out. 

But I am afraid that’s not my issue, I’ll try to explain better. 

For »Align stroke to inside« I would expect the Stroke to cover the Inside area (the one where the Fill is) no matter if the path is the very outmost one or not. 

As it is only the Stroke of one of the two elements does that and the other expands into the non-object-area.

(… and vice versa for »Align stroke to outside«)

Maybe screenshots with a transparent stroked object can help clarify: 

indesignAlignStrokeToInside_2.jpgindesignAlignStrokeToInside_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems right to me, Align Stroke is relative to the path—the stroke here is to the inside of the path:

sel10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, the »inside« of a Compund Path is where the Fill is – the inner Path element in this example borders on »outside« even if this »outside« is completely encircled.

And this makes things even weirder if the two path-elements overlap …  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this can help illustrate what I mean/expect … when one changes the Compund Path to one Path by punching another rectangle out the Stroke aligns to the actual inside. 

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 14.03.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the black fill was unhelpful; here a screenshot with another color and the stroked object set to Multiply: 

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 13.38.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example to illustrate what I consider to be Indesign’s nonsensical interpretation of »Inside« for Compound Paths – a Compund Path consisting of two overlapping circles: 

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 15.01.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could file a feature request. I don‘t think it will be considered a bug—Align Stroke has always worked this way.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/where-do-i-post-indesign-bugs-and-feature-requests/td-p/1094...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the attention. 

As this behaviour is

• inconsistent with Stroke behaviour in Illustrator and Photoshop (see screenshots) and 

• it seems obvious to me that the »inside« of a Path is where the fill is 

I guess I will post a Bug Report. 

compunfPathStrokePhotoshop.pngcompunfPathStrokeIllustrator.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pfaffenbichler,

you are absolutely right: This seems incongruous with stroke behaviour in Illustrator or Photoshop, so am I overlooking something or is this ins some way intentional?

It's also incongruous with InDesign's own stroke behavior with type.

FWIW: With type only Align Outside and Align Center is available. Align Inside is grayed out.

Type-StrokeAlignOutside.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines