• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Arrow keys no longer advance to next photo in filmstrip in Develop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use "+" key to go up on the exposure slider it stops my arrow keys from being able to move left and right on the film strip. If I press "+" it does its job and makes the slider go up but it makes it so I can't go left and right using the film strip. However, if I press "-" it works fine and I can still select the next and previous images with the arrow keys.

I've gone back to 13.4 and it works fine so it's clearly the update is the problem. 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

The team has a bug logged for the behavior.

Workarounds are as follows:
  1. use the mod keys (+/=) next to backspace
  2. use ctrl + arrow keys to change
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 13.5. In DEVELOP mode, there is a problem with the keyboard: after processing a photo, it is not possible to move to the next photo using the keyboard arrow, neither forward nor backward.
It is impossible to work. I went back to the previous version

If you have large processing volumes, I don't recommend upgrading to version 13.5, it doesn't work. I advise you to stay with version 13.4, it is stable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The left- and right-arrow keys sometime advance to the next photo in Develop, sometime not, depending on what tool has the focus. Use Cmd/Ctrl left- and right-arrow instead to reliably select the previous or next photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but this is not normal, with a large amount of photo processing, it is impossible to work, I use only arrows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please pay attention to my messages, it is impossible to work in develop mode. I wrote above about the problem with the arrow keys to move to the next or previous photo. It is not working. Please pass the information to the developers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me 13.5 seems to be working the same way it always has.

If the arrow key does not go to the previous or next image, try pressing Esc to make sure it is not focused on a value field or slider. Usually, after pressing Esc to escape focus, the arrow keys are now focused at the image level and can move among images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I read your message carefully, and I explained that left- and right-arrow don't reliably move between photos in the filmstrim when in Develop -- they often work but often don't.  Adobe's documented keystrokes for moving between photos is Ctrl/Cmd Left Arrow and Ctrl/Cmd Right Arrow:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html#keys_for_managing_photos_and_...

johnrellis_0-1723752733520.png

There have been many posts about this over the years.  Adobe considers this as-designed behavior.

I don't observe any change in behavior in this regard in LR 13.5. If you see a change behavior from 13.4 to 13.5, please provide an exact sequence of commands and keystrokes that behave differently for you in the two versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not duplicate this issue in LrC 13.5 on my Mac.  Maybe it is a Windows only issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that reply, it doesn't help with the problem. Why would I want to hold control when I want to move between images when before it worked fine. Also if Bob says he can't replicate it on his Mac it might be a windows problem. When I go back to 13.4 it works fine so I guess I'll just stay with 13.4 for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the update to 13.5, and the arrow keys work fine for me on Windows 10, as they always have done.

Are you on Windows 11 by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope windows 10 and I reset all my preferences and I still ran into the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read through the linked thread that @Per Berntsen posted and @johnrellis stated that sometimes the arrow key work and sometimes not.   They have always worked ok for me but sounds like for some they stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I have no idea why the arrow keys don't work for you, but I can recommend the Any Shortcut plugin by  @johnrellis which will allow you to change the shortcuts so that they work without the Control key. There's a 30 day free trial.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also struggling with the same problem.
today I updated to the latest version of LR 13.5

on Windows 11

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB

Nvidia Ge-Force GTX 1050Ti - 4Gb

M2 -SSD

I've been working in this program for 8 years and it's very frustrating after millions of processed photos now to have to press an extra button for the next photo.
There is no option to set a shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've been working in this program for 8 years and it's very frustrating after millions of processed photos now to have to press an extra button for the next photo. There is no option to set a shortcut?"

LR provides no mechanism for changing shortcuts. (The Any Shortcut plugin lets you change many shortcuts, but the handling of the arrow keys is hardwired into LR.)

As explained above, the only documented shortcuts for moving to the next/previous photo is Ctrl Right Arrow and Ctrl Left Arrow. Left and Right Arrow will often work in Develop except when the input focus is on another control in the UI. For example, if you adjust a slider with the mouse, that slider control now has the input focus, and Left and Right Arrow move the slider rather than advancing to the next photo.

Over the years, there have been many posts complaining that Left and Right Arrow don't work reliably, and Adobe has never acknowledged these as "bugs" (unintended behavior).  It's certainly possible that LR 13.5 has changed how the various controls in the Develop UI manipulate the input focus, in a way that trips up some key sequences but not others. If you can provide an EXACT sequence of keystrokes that shows a change in behavior between LR 13.4 and 13.5, so that others can reproduce that behavior, then Adobe MIGHT pay attention this time (unlike before).  But without a way to reproduce the behavior, Adobe is unlikely to pay attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this near identical thread so we don't have split discussions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/arrow-key-glitch-in-develop-module-with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RyanFunkPhotography: "Bob says he can't replicate it on his Mac it might be a windows problem."

Windows and Mac handle the input focus differently. For example, on Windows, if you adjust a slider with the mouse, the slider now has the input focus, and Left and Right Arrow adjust the slider. But that doesn't happen on Mac.

"When I go back to 13.4 it works fine so I guess I'll just stay with 13.4 for a while."

See my reply in the other thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/version-13-5-problem-with-the-keyboard/... 

Since using Left and Right Arrow to advance to the next photo is not documented by Adobe, and Adobe has ignored past complaints about Left and Right Arrow not always working consistently, I think it's likely that Adobe is going to ignore this issue, as they have in the past. But if you can provide an EXACT sequence of keystrokes that behave differently in LR 13.4 and 13.5, and enough people complain, then MAYBE Adobe might have a change of mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the Any Shortcut plugin will let you change the keystrokes assign to Next and Previous Selected Photo in the TranslatedStrings file, the behavior of Left Arrow and Right Arrow is hardwired into LR code (as is with many commands).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact sequence of keystrokes just occurred to me -- it involves + on the numeric keypad, not the top row of keys. In Develop with a US English keyboard and numeric keypad:

LR 13.4: Numeric keypad + increments the slider. Right arrow advances to the next photo.

LR 13.5: Numeric keypad + increments the slider. Right arrow is ignored.

LR 13.5: = on the top row of keys increments the slider. Right arrow advances to the next photo.

So for now, use - and = on the top row of the keyboard. Or use the documented shortcuts Ctrl Left Arrow and Ctrl Right Arrow.

LR has had since at least 2021 a bug with numeric keypads on AZERTY keyboards (used with French and other languages):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-flag-amp-color-label-shortcut-issues-specifi...

The problem in this thread is an issue with numeric keypads rather than input focus. But my judgement remains the same: Based on past behavior, I don't think Adobe is likely to address issues with undocumented keystrokes and numeric keypads. I'd be thrilled to be proved wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested this in both LrC13.4 and LrC 13.5 on my Windows 10 system.

LrC 13.4 doesn't have the 'issue'. I can duplicate it in LrC 13.5, but only when using the keypad '+', Shift + '+' and Alt + '+' key.

If I use the '=' key, Shift + '=' and Alt + '=', then there is no problem with the Left and Right keys working.

I will also say that photo navigation in Develop is designed to be Ctrl + Left for Previous Photo and Ctrl + Right for Next Photo. Just look at the keyboard shortcuts under menu item Develop -> Previous Photo and Develop -> Next Photo. The fact that the Left and Right keys mostly work as the do, without the Crtl modifier key, may not be 'as designed'. If it is 'as designed' then this needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis  Are you going to tell me how arrows work in lightroom? I've been working in Lightroom for over 15 years, and I've always used arrows to move to the next photo. Have you ever processed 3000-4000 photos? Try to do it with Ctrl and you will understand what it means to slow down the work at times. Version 13.4 worked stably. Now, when processing 2-5 photos, the keyboard freezes, the arrows do not work. What you offer me does not suit me at all, because I cannot slow down my work. Try to process 10 photos quickly yourself, for example +/- make an exposure correction, and you will see how the arrows stop working! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is complete nonsense, the arrows have always worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working in lightroom for over 15 years, I've never had a problem with the arrow keys to move to another photo, if you processed thousands of photos you would understand what it means to slow down when you use Ctrl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing, on both Mac and Windows systems. It's not possible to work with large processing volumes, so I've reverted to version 13.4. It is stable

Votes

Translate

Translate