• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Import is creating OS - level duplicate files named (-2) when using Devices rather than Files

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I upgraded to lightroom classic from lightroom 5.7.1, imports are now importing duplicate images, even though I have checked don't import suspected duplicates. It happens on both my nikon and canon camera images.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Greetings, 

Updates for Adobe Photography products began rolling out Tuesday night, August 16th,  The updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

We have a fix for this in a future update - unfortunately, it was too late to make it into this week's release. 

Note: this is not specific to Fuji. I can reproduce with Canon as well. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Opened new bug for investigation. Issue is still not reproducible save very sporadically. In months of attempting to reproduce, it has only happened to me once and was not repeatable. 

Previous bug was only partially related to this failure. 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 176 Replies 176
176 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I was not having this issue until I updated to LR Classic 10.0. It's up-to-date.

But now I have the same issue. My CF Card only contains 1 copy of each image, but when I import via LR then it shows duplicates for every image, and imports them using a -2 at the end of the file name. I have to manually search for all imported images with a "-2" after import, and then delete them. When will this be fixed for good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rickk, I don't think this issue was resolved with v10.0, I'm still having the problem or variations of it. This problem is annoying. I hope that someone can get to the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend your starting a new thread with complete system information and step by step instructions for reproducing your duplicated import. I cannot reproduce it on my end.

This is an old thread and likely unrelated to any potential issue you may be experiencing. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Well I updated 6 days ago and I am on 10.1 and have this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has a new thread been created for this? I am experiencing the same identical issue and for me I think it started with the 10.x update. I'm on 10.1 now.

On further investigation, If I select "don't import suspected duplicates" on import, then the duplicates are not created. If I unselect it then I get the same behavior of one photo with the correct filename and a second with "-2" appended, even though these are new photos not in the catalog or folder. So that works for me as a work around, however I never had to select this before....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing the same issue, as of Dec 30, 2020. It's so frustrating! Have you found any fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Duplicate files with -2 added being imported. MacBook Pro running Big Sur, LR 10.01, Nikon D780. Definitely not fixed in v10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Lightroom Classic 10.1 on Mac OS 11.1 - RAW files are being duplicated with the filename ending with '-2' each time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I'm using LR Classic 10.1.1 and since a few days after every import I have the images twice in my folder. 178A6086.JPG and 178A6086-2.JPG

It is very annoying, anything I can do? 

I shoot my images with a Canon 7D MKII.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try it next time, it's a weird one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Adobe Lightroom importing duplicate copies

Big Sur Mac OS X 11.1 

Brand new MacBook Pro M1 

Lightroom 10.1.1

Fujifilm XT-3 formatted SD card and new images, shot in raw only, Lightroom imports duplicate copies into a new folder with a -2 after the camera filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any updates on this bug? I just updated my old perpetually licensed copy of Lightroom 6 to an expensive CC version and am seeing this issue for the first time. I'm starting to think I made a mistake, as I've never had this issue before and this issue has been open for over 6 months. I'm trying to consolidate several image libraries with lots of duplicates and this is a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having this problem. macOS Big Sur, LR classic 9.4. Can't update to 10 until all the other issues solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seeing duplicates on import. Multiple different cameras. Strange issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fix I've found for MacOS (and it's not a great fix) is to let the photos and their -2 Duplicates import, and during their DNG conversion, delete them all from Lightroom and Disk and start over. The second time they import, they don't do the duplicate glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fix is deleting all files ending with -2.CR2 (from my canon camera) after import, by specifying a text filter in the Library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me.

Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory

Lightroom Classic 10.1.1

My workaround is to use a text filter to locate all the "-2" files, but c'mon guys...  This needs to be fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has a thread been created? Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue and it is bloody annoying to say the least, I have the latest version as of 2 April 2021.

How about fixing this?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every import I have to go through and select every second photo to stop it from importing two of each image, this is taking forever to do and driving me nuts. Only started happening with last update.

When I select import after a new shoot, it shows the images as

FILENAME1.CR3,

FILANAME1-2.CR

FILENAME2.CR3

FILENAME2-2.CR3

and so on.

There is only on copy of each on the card, this is LR creating the second copy for no reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk have you already found a solution for this issue? I'm daily photographing about 1,500shots and it is really annoying how every import I end up with double the shots, having to wait for the importing time to then immediately having to identify and select all the -2.DNG files to delete them again...

I really expected a quick fix for this issues from a respected company as Adobe I've been paying the company quite a bit over the years and feel left in the cold together with many others for quite a while now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick  I've updated long ago though still having the issue and it's now already for a couple of months and really wastes a lot of time with waiting for the doubles to be imported to then go back to delete them immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue remains under investigation as no one on this thread has yet been able to supply a list of discrete steps that will cause this problem to occur. To date, we have not been able to reproduce this issue at Adobe. 

Can you give me step-by-step instructions that will allow us to reproduce?

Thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my unconventional solution. 

Step 1.

Select all images and import.

Step 2. 

Select all images and delete from disk.

Step 3

Import again and now there are no duplicate imports anymore.

I know it doesnʻt make sense, but it works every time for me and is much faster than deleting by hand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate