• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No photos in selected folder (Mac)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 60,000 images on an external hard drive.  Today when I opened Lightroom and tried to navigate to a recent image using the Navigator Panel, the folders and subfolders are all showing the numbers of photos inside the folder, but when I click on a subfolder it says "No photos in the selected Folder".  When I check the Finder they are there.  If I go to the highest level of parent folder on that external drive all 60,000 images are showing at that level and I can scroll through them.  But when I drill down to any lower level that the very highest, they are not there.  I have not done any moving of files or folders in the last several months and up until today everything was working fine.  I have not installed any new plugins or done anything out of the ordinary with Lightroom recently.  Any idea why this is happening and more importantly how I can fix it?  I've included a couple of screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Logged bug
Attached catalog
Setting status to investigating

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

We have a bug logged for this. At this time reverting to 12.1 should restore immediate functionality until we can release an update. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
153 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a summary that you can correct

• Photos originally on an external hard drive named "Gdrive for Photos". This was a 6TB drive
  • Owner installed a new external hard drive, also named "Gdrive for Photos". This is a 12TB drive
  • You do not think the photos were coped from the original drive to the new drive
  • In LrC, the Folders panel shows two volumes named "Gdrive for Photos"
  • One column shows some photos the other none

inquiry:

Are both external hard drives still connected?

assumption:

• MACOS should not allow duplicate drive names. So the author renamed the new drive after removing the old one.
  • And if not, then duplicate drive names will cause issues.

additional assumption

• Owner did not copy photos from original hard drive to new hard drive
  • Both hard drives were connected with LrC running at one point

additional inquiry

• Are the photos in the grid view showing an ! mark top right of thumbnail?
  • Are the folders showing an ? mark

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Sean. I will try this tomorrow when my brain is more in gear.

Sent from my iPad
Abigail Gossage
abigail@abigailgossage.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Glad I'm not alone on my island! I have the same problem. 50,000 picts, "No pictures in the selected folder." I recently updated to LR 12.2 and Ventura on my Macbook. Is there a major conflict? I got help to rebuild a catalog on my IMac with all my pictures, but it is not working. LR won't load my pictures and organize them like before. Question: do you use Topaz Sharpen? I noticed all the extensions of my picts are now S instead of LR. Could it mix up Lightroom? What a mess! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sophiet75370090, try rolling back to LR 12.1 and let us know if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS can have two external drives with the same name, because internally it uses a special unique disk identifier. Lightroom uses a simple path to the images however, that starts with the disk name to identify the drive. That means that you should never use Lightroom with two drives with the same name, because that is asking for problems. If you want to move your images to a new drive you can make use of this, by giving the new drive the exact same name as the old drive, but then you must disconnect the old drive or rename it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She doesn't think she copied the photos from the old drive to the new one.  And in Lightroom, the old drive has 62,000 images, the new one has 8000, and they don't APPEAR to have images in the same months on both drives.

It doesn't LOOK to me like she copied images.

She doesn't THINK she's EVER had both drives connected at the same time, BUT I suspect she did at SOME point.  Then disconnected the old drive.

• In LrC, the Folders panel shows two volumes named "Gdrive for Photos"

Yes, there are 2 Gdrive for Photos "drives", BUT only the new one is connected.

• One column shows some photos the other none

Both Gdrives show data, but only the new one has had images imported to is since plugging in.  The new drive doesn't appear to have images from the old drive

The ONLY place that could actually SEE images was "Volumes" - it sees all 70,000 images.

There were a couple thousand images with "!" marks - metadata conflicts or mismatches.  I updated all those before creating the new catalog.

NOBODY had/has a question mark - Lightroom doesn't think ANYTHING is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what it looks like she did.  She says the two drives weren't connected at the same time, and they may or may not have been.  What's confusing is she INSISTS things worked normally until she updated Lightroom.

BUT, it SOUNDS like it was a really bad idea to give the two drives the same name and something in Lightroom eventually got confused and quit working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hab das gleiche Problem aber auf MacOS 13.2.1. Betrifft übrigens nur die Fotos auf einer externen HD. Lokale oder Fotos auf Netzlaufwerken sind nicht betroffen.

Für alle Importe nach Update auf LR 12.2 wurden die Bilder nicht mehr unter "/ -> Volumes -> extHD" in die Bibliothek geschrieben sondern direkt unter "extHD" ohne übergeordneten Ordner. Dadurch sind in der Bibliothek einige Ordner nun doppelt, allerdings beide mit nur jeweils einem Teil der Fotos.

Direkt auf der extHD über den Finder ist alles normal. 

Nach Rollback von LR 12.2 auf 12.1 wurden die Fotos in den Ordnern wieder angezeigt. Aber die aufgeteilten Ordner bleiben und lassen sich auch nicht zusammenführen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After rolling back from LR 12.2 to 12.1, the photos in the folders were displayed again. But the split folders remain and cannot be merged either."

Others have solved that problem using these steps:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The ONLY place that could actually SEE images was "Volumes" - it sees all 70,000 images."

'Volumes' is actually a folder that Lightroom should not show, because it is the mountpoint for the drives.  Normally I would suggest to right-click on it and choose 'Hide This Parent', but without having seen a screenshot of the folder panel I am hesitant to suggest anything.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, can you connect the old drive, perhaps disconnect the new drive, then look in LrC for the photos.

This before doing anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

It sounds like a problem many other Mac users are experiencing with the LR 12.2 upgrade. When you select a particular folder, do you see "No photos in selected folder", even though there's a count next to the folder name in the Folders panel?  A screenshot would be worth many more than 1K words, but does it look like this:

johnrellis_0-1677695698917.png

with the external drives listed in the Folders panel under Macintosh HD / Volumes?

If not, then please post a full-resolution screenshot showing the entire LR window with the Folders panel open and a folder selected.

If so, then others have reported that rolling back to LR 12.1 avoids the problem.  Adobe has acknowledged this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-catalog-will-open-in-12-1-but-not-12-2-folde... 

Moderators, please don't merge this thread until @DavePinMinn verifies it's the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that too, but I dismissed it because the OP said:

"The ONLY place that could actually SEE images was "Volumes" - it sees all 70,000 images."

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Mac users have reported this problem with LR 12.2, and rolling back to LR 12.1 appears to avoid the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I thought about that too, but I dismissed it because the OP said:

"The ONLY place that could actually SEE images was "Volumes" - it sees all 70,000 images."'

That's consistent with what others have reported -- clicking on the folder representing the entire drive displays all the photos on that drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. Can you help me ? I don't know how to merge my thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The moderators will merge the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as julief57036690.

It al started after updating to 12.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. Volumes isn't a drive but the mountpoint, but I guess that may work too. The fact that the OP has two drives with the same name complicates the story, but this could be a coincidence.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's essentially what she's seeing.  I don't know what the title of the topic where this is being discussed is, but it wasn't something I found when searching - likely because my search wasn't using the correct terms.

Has that OTHER discussion provided a solution that doesn't require creating a new catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the link @johnrellis posted if you can check it: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-catalog-will-open-in-12-1-but-not-12-2-folde...

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent a good part of today trying to ge my folders back together. Updating folder location did not work. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad
Abigail Gossage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this did not work for me.

Sent from my iPad
Abigail Gossage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a roll back to 12.1 and it worked! I can open all my folders again!

Votes

Translate

Translate