• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Lightroom 5 final. Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction does not work. Whole story here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1229132

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 133 Replies 133
133 Comments
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody has this problem with 5.2 and you're the only one. Before screaming your lung out, shouldn't you check to see if you do something wrong? And more over the original bug was applied to image that is exported 1/3rd smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Hans: for everybody's sake - be civil, even though it's a product you paid money for...

That said, to 9X% of users, the bug (which is the subject of this thread) is fixed in Lr5.2. Worth noting:
* You must be using the final release - it's not fixed in the release candidate.
* Exported photos may be softer than in Lightroom unless you apply some output sharpening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting images with a size smaller than 1/3 of the picture. This has been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this problem is fixed in 5.2. To get the update, just run Lr 5 and you should be notified about a 5.2 update being available.

As to the issue mdshirajum listed, this appears to be __unrelated__ to the bug being discussed in this thread. In fact, I am pretty sure based on the description given so far that this isn't a bug at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I'm using Lr 5.3 and still having these problems when editing a raw file from a lumix fz150... (noise reduction doesn't show up on any exports I make)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide an example image with the problem, uploading to somewhere like www.dropbox.com, then post the public download link, here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thank you for trying to help, here is the link: https://shared.com/f/buwxne29x4

There are three files there.
1. screenshot of the difference of the exported file and what I did in Lr
2. the original RAW file
3. the exported file (jpg)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just noticed, that my library view also doesn't have the noise reduction applied... I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcin H. F.:

I tried to duplicate your Toning NR settings from the history recorded in the JPG you provided.

Below is a side-by-side showing my exported JPG plus the view in Develop. My exported JPG has NR applied. In an attempt to sharpen any noise that wasn't removed, I maxed out the export sharpening to Glossy / High, so the blemishes are slightly more obvious in my exported file but the underlying noise appears to have been completely removed, just like in Develop.

My Library view shows NR applied, too. What happens if you recompute standard and 1:1 previews of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What computer and OS are you running LR on? I'm running LR 5.3 on a Windows 7 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also running LR 5.3 on a Windows 7. Hmmm I'm running the trail version, so maybe that's it... maybe there are some limitations...

Sorry I'm new to this so I'm not sure I exactly understand "recompute" do you mean "export"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if I have some kind of setting on or off (that shouldn't be on or off), since I'm not seeing the NR in the Library view... and the export is the same. (I do see the other fixes like spot removal and black and white conversion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's working for me and not for you, perhaps there is some other adjustment you made, like the blemish removal via the spotting tool, that is somehow causing an issue with NR in LR Exports.

You can test this by creating a virtual copy of this image, select the VC, then reset the spotting tool, or maybe just reset the entire photo--it should turn back to color, then redo the NR Lum=87, and then export from the reset VC and see if the NR is applied.

"Recomputing" (rebuiding) Previews is done in Library:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try deleting your LR preferences file in case something is corrupted with that, and causing hiccups in LR.

You should exit LR then delete the .agprefs file indicated in item 1 of this article: http://kylenishioka.com/blog/2012/06/...

If you don't already know where your catalog is stored, then figure that out before deleting the preferences file. Item 1 of the blog post is about troubleshooting a catalog issue, so it says to start with a new blank catalog after deleting the preferences file. You are not trouble-shooting a corrupted catalog (at this point at least) so you want to open your existing catalog not start with a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

man... this is so weird, I'm really not getting something... Ok, I think I got it (:

So... This is what I did:

1. I did what you said, I built standard-sized previews using your instructions (I didn't know that the menu changes depending on whether your in library or development).

2. Then I tried to reset... but weird things started happening... it reseted to black and white, so I went into: Development->Set Default Settings... and chose "Restore Adobe Default Settings".

So that was probably the problem. Thank you so much for your help Steve!

All the best in the New Year!

p.s. oh, and the export with NR started working after the fixes I applied!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something was corrupted somewhere. Glad you reset things and it works, now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and if it stops working in the future, I will know (thanks to you) which setting to play around with.

Again, thank you Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am new to this site, but I am experiencing a very similar problem.

I just downloaded Lightroom version 5.4. When I switch from Develop mode to Library mode, my sharpening edits disappear. I also loose the sharpening when I export to jpeg.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library module is notoriously soft compared to develop module (in fit view I mean, more at some some resize ratios than others.., but the 1:1 view should be similar to what you see in develop module at 1:1 - is it not?

And exports should be fully sharpened if you have output sharpening set to "Standard" (judge at 1:1 only).

Try cranking sharpening to max (and export) then set sharpening to zero (and export) then compare them at 1:1. If they are the same, then there is a bug for sure (Lr is dropping the sharpening), if they are different, then something else is going on - may still be a bug, but the characteristics really need to be nailed down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library module is notoriously soft compared to develop module - in fit view I mean, more at some some resize ratios than others.., but the 1:1 view should be very close to what you see in develop module at 1:1 - is it not?

And exports should be fully sharpened if you have output sharpening set to "Standard" (judge at 1:1 only).

Try this:
======
With output sharpening set to zero, crank sharpening to max (and export) then set sharpening to zero (and export) then compare the exports at 1:1. If they are the same, then there is a bug for sure (Lr is dropping the develop sharpening), if they are different, then something else is going on - may still be a bug, but the characteristics really need to be nailed down.

Also try this:
=========
Leave develop sharpening at zero, and repeat the experiment above *except* vary output sharpening from zero to max (instead of develop sharpening). The goal of this part is to determine whether output sharpening is having any effect whatsoever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob for the speedy reply,

I did not have output sharpening checked at all when exporting. 1:1 is exactly the same in Develop and Library mode.

I think that fixed my problem. I am an amateur and do not have a lot of experience working with Lightroom. For future reference, is the output sharpening directly related to the develop sharpening? (Like one wont work without the other, or controls the other) or are they completely different ways to add sharpening?

Thank for the help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear Derek. For the context of this discussion you can think of output sharpening as being completely independent of develop sharpening. The idea is:

* sharpen only to the point that it looks good in develop module at 1:1 (but do not oversharpen), then
* use output sharpening in accordance with the actual output medium (e.g. screen versus paper) to *preserve* the sharpness that you see in develop module at 1:1 on the output medium.

In other words, Lr will output a slightly softer version if there is no output sharpening, so if you want sharp output, you need output sharpening too.

Although output sharpening is relatively subtle compared to develop sharpening, it is still a critical element of the process.

Cheers,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging from your fresh bug report, I'm gleaning the output sharpening was not a panacea for you?

But since most people are not having the problem you are, and Adobe hasn't chimed in recently whether they can reproduce problem or not, it would behoove you to determine for sure whether develop sharpening is being applied, or not, and whether output sharpening is being applied, or not.

Just claiming your exports are not as sharp as you expect will not garner much traction... - they/we have heard it before, a million times (because it's normal and a result of unrealistic albeit reasonably arrived-at expectations).

Know what I mean?

Put another way: HOW much sharpening was lost? - *all* of it, or just some of it. And you have to understand and state that all assessment was done at 1:1 otherwise everything else gets dismissed... - seriously: if you want a remedy, you have to play this game!

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate