Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Message: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has returned.

The catalog opened ONCE (and only once) after updating to LrC 10.2; I do this as a test everytime I update LrC.

Now, a few days later, I get the pop-up with the error text: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

We have fixed this issue in 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
113 Comments
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I updated LRC to 10.2 and now I get the Unexpected Error Opening Catalog. HELP! what do I do now?

Ive tried restarting PC but no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not open catalog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back to version 10.1.1 and LRC appears to be working now.  Anything I can do to get 10.2 to work? in Windows? I even tried a accessing a backup and it failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you updating from Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 version? Did Lightroom Classic prompted for an upgrade? I am sending an email off-list. We can investigate your catalog.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get a auto update msg. I just went into lrc help and did software update and was told there is a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of starting Lightroom, go to the catalog and double click on it. That should automatically open Lightroom with that catalog.

If this does not work then try resetting your preferences file. There are are a multitude of examples on this forum as well as on the Lightroom Queen website.

Still not working, clear your previews. Hate to recommend that as it can take a long time to rebuild them.

Lastly there's the possibility that one of the Lightroom files is corrupt and that a reinstall is needed.

Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Tip: hopefully you externalize all edits. If not, do that first. Then you can create a new catalog and import all your images without losing your edits. Edit history is lost but the final result is kept. Let's say that you moved the Contrast slider 3 times for a given image. History shows all  3 steps while only the net result is externalized. You will also lose your albums, create a keyword for each album and then you can easily recreate them through you will have lost your reordering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the double click and it fails. I have sent my lcat file to adobe and awaiitng a reply.  I have reverted to 10.1.1 and operational

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting on my own post to add more info (sorry).

I rolled back to LrC 10.1.1 and my 10.1.1 catalog opens just fine. (I restored my 10.1.1 catalog via Time Machine.)

My 10.1.1 catalog did NOT open with 10.2. (Same "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error." message)

I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the 10.2 update on Monday, this is the only report I can recall seeing. I would say this not a returned issue but likely a completely different issue. 

1. I would recommend opening your catalog in 10.1.1 and letting it sit idle for 5 minutes.
  2. Close Lightroom 10.1.1
  3. Make a copy of that catalog via the file system
  4. Install 10.2.
  5. Open the original catalog from step one
  6. Screen shot the error. if it won't open and post it here.
  7. If it fails, Zip the catalog from step 3 and I will send you instructions.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Thanks. I followed these steps and they worked.

I also re-opened my new 10.2 catalog (using LrC 10.2) several additional times to be sure.

There must be something about the 5-minute wait time. During that wait time, the additional "*Sync" and "Mobile Downloads" files were magically created.

I will test daily for a few more days to be sure this fix has really taken hold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. I re-tried opening my catalog about 7 hours after the "success" reported above and now it fails again.

I did not use LrC in the interim.

Summarizing, on macOS 10.15.7, I cannot open my catalog with LrC 10.2 -- even though it opened this morning. Weird.

I have been using Lightroom for at least 10 years, on both Mac and PC, and I have never seen anything like this.

Screenshot of error dialog below.

ScreenShot20210319at4.34.38PM-39e3a534-811a-4e20-8377-37a04b1393fd-2054040849.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JPEG

Very same here 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, after a couple of days, I re-tried LrC 10.2 and (surprise!) it successfully opened my catalog. (21 March)

Strange.

I did not touch LrC, nor my files, folders or photos, in the intervening period.

This time, a "verifying integrity" message box popped up briefly before the catalog fully opened.

Understandably, I am quite "spooked" by this behavior. I will check periodically to see if this issue is really gone.

I am not a professional, and I (thankfully) don't use LrC for work. But I am photo enthusiast and I am naturally concerned about ~20 years of photos and edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  Reminiscent of October in that booting usually results in the catalog opening on the first try but not subsequent tries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this also to @Deleted User there are too many reports now for this to be a hardware error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Failed again (March 22).

I successfully opened it 2-3 times as a test, then it failed again today.

Same error dialog:

ScreenShot20210322at4.52.20PM-d8a31d48-6490-46d6-9d43-4af241e7b8f2-580772812.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After ~16 hours (overnight) with no other usage of this computer, the catalog opened on the first try. "Integrity check" message box popped up briefly. (March 23)

My iMac is not showing any other kind of odd behavior.

Could this be related to some Adobe cloud/sync intermittent issue? When this fails, is my LrC 10.2 instance reaching out to some online Adobe service that it cannot find?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C4C3A27F4A8442E0BCF57534040688-53be144b-a334-4d15-9058-62df9923b6c7-1558505206.jpeg

When I update Lr classic this error “ Unexpected error opening catalog; choose a different catalog, try again, quit” happens.  Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? My Mac needs to be updated to Big Sur 11.2.3 (I was waiting for the next version to update). Lr works fine when I go back a version. I called support and tried their chat and it was a waste of time. I have a Mac using Big Sur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happening to me! Im using a Mac are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JPEG same thing happens to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Adobe but over the last 12 months every time there's an update there seems to be a problem.  If it's not Media Encoder then it's Lightroom Classic.  There was a similar issue to this in December and then a new update resolved that problem and now it seems similar is happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need some additional info to investigate this further.
I have sent you a mail with details.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a run of a few days of LrC 10.2 opening normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded from LrC 9 to 10, I started having catalog problems. After the catalog was upgraded, the LrC would launch once, then not launch again without testing catalog integrity upon startup. I tried backing up, restoring backups, creating a new catalog and importing the old one -- all the same result. Now after updating to 10.2, it's worse. LrC won't even give me the option to select a catalog and test integrity - it just closes. I uninstalled, wiped prefs and re-installed, then tried again with a new catalog. The same outcome -- crashing immediately after launch. So LrC is unusable, and I can't roll back the catalog to v9 to use older software. 

What is going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate