• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Synchronize folder does not import new images unless show import dialog is active

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.2 does not import new images with "Synchronize folder" unless "Show import dialog before importing" is ticked and imported that way. It does show that there are X new images to import, but just gives "No photos or videos were found to import." dialog after pressing "Synchronize". Using Windows 10 and images are on a mapped network drive.This has worked fine with all previous versions dating back to LR 3 or so when I started using it and definitely still with 2015.1.1 yesterday.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015
CC Release 2015.3 fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 112 Replies 112
112 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I couldn't duplicate the behavior on Win 7 or 8.1.

Tried with 2015.2 on two computers with both a folder stored on a local disk and also a mapped network drive. Right-clicked on folder and chose "Synchronize Folder". Images that were in the folder but not in LR catalog were identified in the "Import new photos (x)" count and imported without any problems, whether I checked "Show import dialog before importing" or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new release is buggy.

i have the same issue!! :(

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1970887

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible workaround: Try unchecking the option Preferences > General > Show "Add Photos" screen. According to other reports, that appears to help with several issues, including some unrelated to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wont work. tried that already.

in fact the first thing i did was disabling this stupid extra window.

don ́t know who at adobe thinks that is usefull.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried unchecking Show "Add photos" screen and that didn't help. One extra data point which I forgot to mention is that the new images were in a new subfolder inside an existing folder in the library. I have directory structure year/month/day and had new images in a new day folder, synchronize folder didn't work for either the month or year folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can such a bug go unoticed?
is there no testing at adobe at all anymore?

i mean the update is out for what 4 hours?
and i already know a dozend persons, including me, who have this issue.

not to mention all the other issues reported shortly after release.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they raw+jpeg files, by any chance? I've seen (and reported) a scenario where the Sync dialog lists photos as missing and new, but only where there's a JPEG of the same name in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope just raw or just tif in my case.

i have tested with raws (cr2) and tifs.

i noticed it when i put raw files manually in my import folder and tried to synchronize the folder.

then i tried with other files and even a new test catalog.

i do it this way forever.. it ́s a bug in the new version that needs to be fixed quickly.

for now a workaround is to have the "show import dialog" checkbox checked. but that is an extra step and far from being a perfect solution.

the new import dialog is a mess anyway. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what i see:

http://i.imgur.com/DZD4YWd.jpg

when i synchronize LR is reporting new files.
then LR goes through the folders looking for changes.
then it says there are no files to import.

and of course the files it has found in step one are not imported into the database.

only when i check the "show import dialog" checkbox the files are imported correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so they 228 do import correctly when you go through the import dialog? That could be key, thanks.

What operating system are you guys all using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 pro for me, and I am using the standalone light room 6, after upgrade this AM, I can now no longer sync folders, this is part of my work stream, not sure how a bug like this could not get noticed, is there anyway to uninstall the update?
I tried lightroom 5, good thing I didn't uninstall yet, and it works fine, tried Lr6 again no go, tried created a new catalog using the new lr5 catalog and the photos and folders are there, but still can not sync any new ones.. I dont want to delete the current and try and create a new catalog and not have any of them come back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows 10 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a kicker, if I edit a raw file and export it to jpg in my exports folder, LR will sync that file it created, but it wont sync another jpg or any raw files I move or add to that folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just up-dated to latest version of Lightroom 2015.2 release as indicated in Adobe Cloud.

Right-click "Synchronize folder" shows the files which exist to be imported, then on given instruction to import, shows notice: "No photos or videos were found to import"

I can only import via Import bottom at bottom of screen: MUCH SLOWER!!!

All previous versions worked perfectly, why this now? Is it possible to revert to previous version? This is not good.

Otherwise superb application

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant even get the import at the bottom to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the files were .CR2 with .xmp sidecars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any word form an adobe official?

this latest version is extremly buggy especially on apple systems.

what about a hotfix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem.

maybe it is related to the fact that adobe removed the ability to import duplicates with 2015.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is that there is no quality management at adobe.

i wonder if they have betatester at all.

one hour after release the forums are FULL with reproducable bug reports.

HOW CAN THAT HAPPEN?! :-(

betatesters must have noticed these bugs (if betatester exist at adobe).....

the worst is many (including me) have predicted exactly this would happen with subscription.... i mean you have to pay anyway. adobe can release crap... you pay your monthly fee anyway.

yet the "paid by adobe pros" told everyone subscription is great. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.
CR2-files in subfolders is not imported.
But it worked when i synchronized one of the subfolder where som of the pictures wasn't imported.
Using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to synchronize a folder to which I have added a subfolder with pictures in it, synchronize finds how many pictures need to be imported, but then gives me error message "No photos or videos found" If I check use import dialog I get the hideous new import screen and it will then work after I select the pictures. Didn't have to do ti before. This is a major step back, and really slows workflow. Unless there is a quick fix, I'll be reverting to a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync folder in lightroom does not work as it did pre update 10/5/15. After selecting the folder you want to sync, you must check the "show import dialog before importing" box before clicking ok. This takes you to the "new and improved" import feature. There you have to find the file you are looking to sync, then click on it, then click import. Ugh, a lot of steps have been added, it seems, because LR assumed we needed a new import feature. I just want to sync a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a merged topic, Adobe employee Becky Sowada wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear this isn't working for you. We were able to repro the problem and have a bug logged.

For now, there are two workarounds - one is to check "show import dialog before importing" as you already noted. The other is to Sync the bottom-most folder. The issue occurs if the folder you're syncing has subfolders, so syncing folders without subfolders will work without showing the import dialog. I realize this is not as efficient as syncing an entire folder tree, but I wanted to offer it as an option until a fix can be made available.

Becky
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the bottom most folder was created in Lightroom, you can't even see it to synchronize it.

Instead of doing any productive work tonight, I'll spend the evening deleting this downgrade and reinstall 6.1.1. If upgrades are going to be this problematic, a 1 click rollback would be a most welcome feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unless the bottom most folder was created in Lightroom, you can't even see it to synchronize it."

I went back to 6.1.1 but at 6.2 I was able to create (name?) a folder in the cataclog that was already in my folders on my hard drive with Lightroom and then was able to synchronize it, as long as it was the bottom folder.

it works as long as you dont want to edit and save to any other folder, that was my problem because each date folder I have a sub folder for exports, so if I went back and exported any old files lightroom would not import.but it did work as long as it was last date, I guess the figure you only work with new files :)

Luckily the uninstall and reinstall went fairly fast with no issues, I turned off auto updates, will wait till bugs are worked out

Votes

Translate

Translate