• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crop to zoom.

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Sometimes when you're looing at an an image, and you click the image to zoom in, you can end up nailing a composition with that one click and maybe some panning. I would love to have a button that would make a crop with that result. Or perhaps add a zoom feature to the crop tool. It would be much easier than taking a screenshot of that result and trying to match it with the crop tool. Thank you! You guys rule!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as a wildlife shooter, I am sometimes too far from my subject for my liking. In post processing these "too far away" images, I would like to be able to zoom to 100%, move the image around to get what I want on the screen, then just crop the image to what I see on the screen. So I'm trying to create a 100% crop to what I see on the screen, without doing trial and error with the selection tool. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I would think that having a way to instantly crop images to what is displayed on screen would be useful and straightforward to implement. 🙂 What do I know—I'm certainly not a programmer!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is an easy way. The crop tool always switches the view to 'Fit', so your image will zoom out to the full image as soon as you activate it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is to keep my finger hovering over the keyboard [R] and -

1) Press [R]

2) Make a tentative crop

3) Press [R]

4) Review my cropped image (which fits screen),

5) Repeat 1) - 4) until satisfied.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.3.1 Photoshop 25.9, ACR 16.3.1, Lightroom 7.3, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.0, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that having a way to instantly crop images to what is displayed on screen would be useful and straightforward to implement. 🙂

By @Paul Click

It’s possible enough that Apple already does it, in the Photos app on iOS: If you zoom in to any magnification higher than Fit, there is a “Crop” button in the top right corner that crops to the currently visible image on screen.

A big issue with it happening in other software is that there are always hundreds of requests for things that are relatively simple to do, so any company still has to prioritize which simple things to do first out of that long list. How quickly an idea like this gets implemented depends on things like whether it’s already been requested on the Ideas page for Lightroom Classic, whether it’s gotten a lot of user votes and discussions, and how far up that has pushed it on the Ideas list. If this idea makes it up to the top 10 or 20, that raises a chance that Adobe might change that idea’s Status to “Under Consideration” or even “Released”.

One major disadvantage of cropping to screen is that the aspect ratio can be inconsistent. It is always whatever space is left over from the aspect ratio of the display in use minus how the panels are set up. So on one computer it would produce one crop shape, and on another computer it might be taller or wider. On a phone, like in the Apple Photos app, “crop to screen” always makes it the aspect ratio and orientation of the phone screen.

I can’t think of a good workaround because they seem to depend on being able to crop at 1:1, which Lightroom Classic cannot do because (very very unfortunately, and unlike Photoshop) selecting the Crop tool always goes into Fit magnification and as long as the Crop tool is active, the magnification cannot be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate