• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Denoise AI unknown error

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a Enhance errors:  Denoise was not applied  - there was an unknown error (1)
on every ARW file i try from my sony a7iv camera
macos - macmini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

I just noticed that you're using a Mac mini. If this is the 2018 model, then your computer uses an integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630) which has got access to around 1.5GB of shared system memory.  The system requirements for LrC 12.x are linked to below. Note the minium GPU memory is 2GB. I suspect this is the reason Denoise doesn't work on your system.

Worth noting for the future - always include your 'System Info'. This ensures that folk trying to help don't end up second guessing possi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, GPU disabled. I'm running a 1060 GTX 3 GB and apparently this is not enough.. Ideally a GPU with a minimum of 8gb is a must..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you find any notes about this?

this is what i found:

GPU

Enhance heavily uses the available GPU and can use an external GPU (eGPU) if available. View the graphics processor acceleration requirements in Lightroom Classic system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a Win10 PC with GTX1060 3Gb and was getting no where with DeNoise. Tried everything, then out of luck, I tried disabling GPU acceleration (set to Off, then restart), now DeNoise works great...!!!?!. Doing this on LR classic, I can select multiple files and it loads my GPU up to 100% and whips through them......
Utterly baffled., but happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this on my laptop and Denoise works again for me too!! Thanks so so much!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update -- worked once, now showing error again.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of your affected ARW Files that gives the error?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's any ARW file on my computer, even with my previous camera the sony a7iii
attach is an example from the sony a7iii
ill sned a link in a minute as i cant upload ARW files here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARW file 
btw i tried edited and non edited files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I grabbed the file. I pulled it onto a Mac 13.3.1 and using LrC 12.3 attempted an Enhance > Denoise:

Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 9.14.06 AM.png

I am not able to replicate the error.

Recommendations:

1.  Update your OS
  2.  If on Windows (Update your Video Drivers)
  3.  Reset Lightroom's preferences
  4.  Perform a clean reinstall

This procedure works for both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop.

If you are using Lightroom Desktop it can change the location of your local storage. Please review this setting after resetting preferences. 

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Clean Lightroom Install Procedure

Close Lightroom

Restart the computer

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud App to uninstall Lightroom

Restart the computer

Install Lightroom via the Creative Cloud App without launching any other programs.

Restart the computer

Launch Lightroom

Wait 5 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after reading your instructions I decided to try Lr before going all the way...

and it didn't work as well, so guess it might be more related to what Martin said about GPU 

my macOS is 13.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot indicates that you're using Lr Desktop not Classic. 

@Rikk Flohr: Photography Can you move the thread to the correct forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved it. Also tested in LrD 6.3.1 and it functions normally there as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with the classic then tried on the LrD 6.3 

so if both don't work for me isn't it a hardware-related issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont move it. i don't use the desktop i just wanted to try if it works
I work only on the Lightroom classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with the Lightroom Classic! and tested the other after I got a replay from Rikk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the original error on Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that you're using a Mac mini. If this is the 2018 model, then your computer uses an integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 630) which has got access to around 1.5GB of shared system memory.  The system requirements for LrC 12.x are linked to below. Note the minium GPU memory is 2GB. I suspect this is the reason Denoise doesn't work on your system.

Worth noting for the future - always include your 'System Info'. This ensures that folk trying to help don't end up second guessing possible culprits. In your case, providing the System Info (obtainable from Help > System Info menu) would also highlight whether you're using an eGPU, which is fairly common for users of 2018 Mac mini.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that! I have the same problem here and I am disappointed that it can't use the CPU as a backup. Isn't there a way to tweak that? (I'd be glad to just wait instead of having to buy an eGPU...). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am disappointed that it can't use the CPU as a backup. Isn't there a way to tweak that? (I'd be glad to just wait instead of having to buy an eGPU...)."

Unfortunately not.  LR's AI masking runs just fine (albeit 5x more slowly) without a GPU, but Adobe stubbornly refuses to provide an option disabling the use of the GPU for AI masking, even though it would be trivial:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-allow-users-to-disable-the-gpu-for-ai-maski...

But Denoise might run proportionately much slower on a CPU than AI masking.  Some people have reported that Denoise runs in 10-12 seconds on a newer midrange graphics card, while others have reported it taking 20-30 minutes on much older cards (e.g. 7 years old).  But since GPUs and CPUs are much different beasts, it's also possible we'd see just the same 5x slowdown on CPUs that we see with AI masking (i.e. 50-60 seconds instead of 10-12 seconds).

You could test this out by restarting your computer in Windows safe mode or Mac OS safe mode, which disables use of a graphics card. (This won't work on Apple Silicon Macs, just Intel Macs.) This test is likely useful only as an experiment, since LR could otherwise be too sluggish in safe mode.  

If you run this test, let us know the results.  I can't do it yet since I my test machine runs Windows ARM and there's a Creative Cloud bug preventing the installation of LR on Windows ARM.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Much appreciated. I'll run this test soon. Im also considering buying a simple and cheap RX580-based eGPU just to be able to activate this option... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While traveling with my 15" mid-2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM, I decided to see if Enhance > Denoise worked. I have Intel Iris Pro graphics with 1536 MB of VRAM, and the graphics processor is set to Off in LrC preferences. I was surprised to see that Enhance worked just fine! Slow (about 8 minutes on my .RAF files), but it works. If I try it in Safe Mode, I get the "Unsupported Hardware" message and that a graphics card with Metal support is required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While traveling with my 15" mid-2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM, I decided to see if Enhance > Denoise worked. I have Intel Iris Pro graphics with 1536 MB of VRAM, and the graphics processor is set to Off in LrC preferences. I was surprised to see that Enhance worked just fine! Slow (about 8 minutes on my .RAF files), but it works. If I try it in Safe Mode, I get the "Unsupported Hardware" message and that a graphics card with Metal support is required. 

By @CumberLinda

I suspect that your MACBook has an additional GPU with 2GB VRAM.  A AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I went for the bigger screen instead of the upgraded graphics.
Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 4.26.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have Intel Iris Pro graphics with 1536 MB of VRAM, and the graphics processor is set to Off in LrC preferences. I was surprised to see that Enhance worked just fine!'

I don't think the required minimum of 2 GB is a hard technical requirement. When LR 12.0 came out, People masking was sometimes giving errors or crashing LR with the Iris Pro 1.5 GB hardware, so Adobe made 2 GB the required minimum and 12.1 or 12.2 started checking for that.  But lots of people with less than 2 GB have reported that People masking works for them -- it probably depends on the image.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines