• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC versions - Windows 8.1 vs Windows 7

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7 (64-bit) and a laptop running Windows 8.1 (64-bit). I have been successfully running Lightroom 6 (freestanding license, not CC) on both computers for several years, which is permitted under the terms of the license as long as I only use it on one computer at a time (which I do). I recently decided to cave and sign up for the photographer's LR/PS subscription package so I could upgrade to newer versions. However, it appears that I cannot use the same version of Lightroom Classic CC on both computers.

On the Windows 8.1 computer, Creative Cloud shows v7.5 as the most current version (since LR 8.x is not supported for Win 8.1) and the following "other versions" as available: 7.4, 7.3.1, 7.3, 7.2, 7.1, 7.0 and 6.0 (CC 2015). On the Windows 7 computer, Creative Cloud shows v8.4 as the most current version (since LR 8.x is supported for Win 7) and the following "other versions" as available: 8.3.1, 8.3, 8.2.1 and 6.0 (CC 2015) - but not 7.x. See screen shots:

Windows 8.1 "Other versions:"

LR_Win8-1_Options.JPG

Windows 7 "Other versions:"

LR_Win7_Options.JPG

The Adobe support page about Lightroom Classic system requirements indicates that both Windows 7 and 8.1 meet the requirements for Lightroom 7.x, so I'm not sure why this would be.

I've tried using the direct download of version 7.0.1, but that version won't support mobile syncing, so I have to upgrade to v7.1 or above - which I can do on the Windows 8.1 computer, but not the Windows 7 computer. There does not appear to be a direct download version of v7.5.

I've also tried uninstalling all Adobe programs from the Windows 7 computer, running the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool, and re-installing everything - but I still have the same versions available in Creative Cloud.

So, I guess I have two questions:

- Is LR v7.x supported for Windows 7?

- If so, how the heck do I install it on my computer?

Thanks,

John B.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Here is the official conversation I had with Adobe support:

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(0).png

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(1).png

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(2).png

Bottom line: The only version of Lightroom Classic CC that is compatible with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is Lightroom 7.0.1, which must be installed by direct download on the Windows 7 computer. This version does not support mobile syncing, but there is no way to update it to any other v7.x on the Windows 7 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this was correctly categorized as a Download and Install issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JBenfordPhoto  wrote

I think this was correctly categorized as a Download and Install issue.

I think not.

Lightroom 8 will not run on Windows 8. Lightroom 8 does run on certain versions of WIndows 7. However, the ability to roll back the version of Lightroom from version 8 to version 7 does not exist for users of Windows7 or Windows 10. It is a decision that was made by Adobe to only provide the ability to roll back to a certain number of previous versions — you can't select from ALL previous versions. (And it doesn't really matter if you don't agree with that decision)

If so, how the heck do I install it on my computer?

You can't install Lightroom 7 any more on a Windows7 or Windows10 computer.

And so there are minor problems using Lightroom 8 on one computer and Lightroom 7 on another computer. Some features in Lightroom 8 cannot be used and cannot be seen in Lightroom 7, but the catalogs themselves are compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call me crazy, but I would say that questions about what versions can be downloaded and installed on what computers are "download and install" issues.

Adobe is clear that they don't support v8.x on Windows 8.1.

What is not clear anywhere on their website (that I could find after extensive searching) is that they don't support Lightroom 7.x on Windows 7, even though they do support Lightroom 8.x on Windows 7. The system requirements for LR v7.x indicate that Windows 7 meets those requirements, and they do in fact support LR 7.0.1 on Windows 7 (via direct download). Even their own customer support person told me I could install v7.1 on both computers, then retracted the statement.

What a cluster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JBenfordPhoto  wrote

Call me crazy, but I would say that questions about what versions can be downloaded and installed on what computers are "download and install" issues.

I call it an Adobe policy decision; it's not an "issue" at least the way I use the term "issue" because in my mind, "issues" can be fixed, and there is nothing to fix here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the official conversation I had with Adobe support:

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(0).png

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(1).png

Screenshot_2019-08-14 Adobe Chat(2).png

Bottom line: The only version of Lightroom Classic CC that is compatible with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 is Lightroom 7.0.1, which must be installed by direct download on the Windows 7 computer. This version does not support mobile syncing, but there is no way to update it to any other v7.x on the Windows 7 computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is clear that they don't support v8.x on Windows 8.1. What is not clear anywhere on their website (that I could find after extensive searching) is that they don't support Lightroom 7.x on Windows 7, even though they do support Lightroom 8.x on Windows 7. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the Win 7 & Win 8.1 requirement - Only Win 8.1 - 

How do I get: Find & install versions of Adobe Bridge & Lightroom worked on Windows 8.1 - Win 10 not option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no version of Lightroom Classic that runs on Windows 8.

Bridge appears to run on Windows 8, but I don't really know how you can obtain a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not have the Win 7 & Win 8.1 requirement - Only Win 8.1 -  How do I get: Find & install versions of Adobe Bridge & Lightroom worked on Windows 8.1 - Win 10 not option"

LR 8 and LR 9 do not run on Windows 8.1. LR 7 runs on Windows 8.1, but Adobe no longer makes it available. 

LR 6 runs on Windows 8.1, but you can no longer buy it from a retailer or Adobe. You might be able to find a legitimate version for sale on Ebay or elsewhere with a legal license key, but you have to be very careful that you're not buying pirated software.  

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"LR 8 and LR 9 do not run on Windows 8.1"

Snap32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines