Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to import images using the add option

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am unable to import my images from my external HDD through the "add" option. I can only import through the "copy" option as it forces me to copy the files to my mac's drive. 

This is unusual as I have always been able to import images through adding them and working directly from my Ext HDD. My LR catalog is also located in the same HDD. 

This happens when I updated my LR to v 12.2.1. I tried to reinstall back v 12.1 but it doesnt solve the problem. I am running on Mac OS ventura 13.2.1. Am I missing something? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

I realised I ecounter the same problem when I tried to import images using a seperate mac with the same catalog (my LR catalog is stored in my ext HDD). It seems that giving full disk access does not solve the problem. I began to backtrack my recent activities and I realised that I copied a folder named "DCIM" straight from my camera's SD card to my ext HDD a few days ago. 

Apparently if you have a folder that has names that coincide with DCIM (or any name similar to how a camera would label a f

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running on Mac OS ventura 13.2.1.

for how long have you had Ventura?

and did the MACOS get updated recently as well?

And is the Ext HD new, and a SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the SSD over a year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

First, ensure LR is granted Full Disk Access (not Files And Folders) permission:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

If that doesn't help, it may be that Mac OS 13 is reporting the incorrect device type to LR. To see what Mac OS is reporting:

a. Start the Disk Utility app.

b. In the left column, find one of the problem external drives and note the exact volume name, e.g.

johnrellis_0-1678732753069.png

c. Start the Terminal app.

d. Type this command:

diskutil info "Miscellaneous2"

replacing "Miscellaneous2" with the exact name of the volume from step b, with the exact case, including any spaces in the name and the double quotes.

e. Copy and paste the entire output here.

(The Disk Utility's Get Info command doesn't provide all the required information, so don't bother doing that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, Greyed out Add button on all external Hard drives, that ll used to allow Add to the catalog ?

Last login: Tue Mar 28 12:00:23 on console

[MacBook-Pro-9:~] rob% diskutil info "PhotoMaster"

Device Identifier:         disk2s2

Device Node:               /dev/disk2s2

Whole:                     No

Part of Whole:             disk2

Volume Name:               PhotoMaster

Mounted:                   Yes

Mount Point:               /Volumes/PhotoMaster

Partition Type:            Apple_HFS

File System Personality:   Journaled HFS+

Type (Bundle):             hfs

Name (User Visible):       Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Journal:                   Journal size 524288 KB at offset 0x48c4000

Owners:                    Disabled

OS Can Be Installed:       Yes

Media Type:                Generic

Protocol:                  USB

SMART Status:              Not Supported

Volume UUID:               67446A51-43E5-32E2-8816-A8FA20AADAB5

Disk / Partition UUID:     D8A955EC-75B0-4CEB-AB20-B444459E5602

Partition Offset:          209735680 Bytes (409640 512-Byte-Device-Blocks)

Disk Size:                 10.0 TB (10000487374848 Bytes) (exactly 19532201904 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size:         512 Bytes

Volume Total Space:        10.0 TB (10000487366656 Bytes) (exactly 19532201888 512-Byte-Units)

Volume Used Space:         8.0 TB (7979703025664 Bytes) (exactly 15585357472 512-Byte-Units) (79.8%)

Volume Free Space:         2.0 TB (2020784340992 Bytes) (exactly 3946844416 512-Byte-Units) (20.2%)

Allocation Block Size:     16384 Bytes

Media OS Use Only:         No

Media Read-Only:           No

Volume Read-Only:          No

Device Location:           External

Removable Media:           Fixed

Solid State:               Info not available

[MacBook-Pro-9:~] rob% 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also after the OS

Ventura update, 13.2.1 

I have allowed full disc access to Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC

It is a firewire 10TB HD, the Add button appears if I want to import from the computer, but not hard drives>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a Firewire HD problem, USB-C hard drives work correctly and the add button appears in the import Dialog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Apple OS Ventura no longer supports Firewire, So for the many folks with archived photo catalogs on Firewire, anything past OS Big Sur renders your hardware unsupported. the drives will still work and the files are accessible but programs like lightroom will not function correctly with Firewire hard drives. Big issue for me as I have multiple archives on multiple 10TB and 14TB Firewire hard drives I need to access and update frequently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you allowed Full Disk Access? 

https://www.solve.uk.com/post/how-to-grant-full-disk-access-in-macos-ventura

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this, but it doesnt seem to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I forgot to restart the mac after applying the settings. I can import images via adding now! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd because I usually dont have to make this extra step in the previous versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am unable to import my images from my external HDD through the "add" option. I can only import through the "copy" option as it forces me to copy the files to my mac's drive. 

By @GarethSen

If you place the images on the desktop does it now work? Copy is required for import from most PC cards and maybe LR 'thinks' this is such a storage device. Can you tell us more about this HHD? Does running Disk First Aid (Disk Utility) help? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised I ecounter the same problem when I tried to import images using a seperate mac with the same catalog (my LR catalog is stored in my ext HDD). It seems that giving full disk access does not solve the problem. I began to backtrack my recent activities and I realised that I copied a folder named "DCIM" straight from my camera's SD card to my ext HDD a few days ago. 

Apparently if you have a folder that has names that coincide with DCIM (or any name similar to how a camera would label a folder) , lightroom mistakes this as a removable drive. In this case, the presence of the folder named "DCIM" in my ext drive gives the impression that my drive is actually an SD card; thus unable to import my photos via the "add" option. 

I have thus deleted that folder, ejected the hard drive and reboot lightroom. problem solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius find @GarethSen 

Out of curiosity, was the DCIM folder in the root folder of the drive? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was.. perhaps that's another root cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that if it was in a subfolder it would be okay. It's worth investigating at some point. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great discovery.

It appears if any folder on the file's path is named DCIM, then neither Add nor Move are available options. For example, I tried importing a file with path /first/second/DCIM/third/fourth/test.jpg, and Add and Move were greyed out.

That's lazy programming by the original developer. LR should be using the Mac and Windows calls that indicate whether a volume is removable (e.g. a USB stick) or fixed (an external drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

If that is the case how come you can apparently ADD and MOVE when importing from CF Express cards with a DCIM folder.  I do not have CF Express cards but see many issues on the forum where people mistakenly ADD from a CF Express card.  I have suggested in the past that Adobe check if a drive has a DCIM folder in the root to prevent ADD/MOVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the behavior has changed recently. I tested both an external hard drive and a USB stick, and both allow Move/Add only if there was no DCIM folder in the path. (Mac OS 13.2.1, LR 12.2.1)

With respect to CF Express cards, the OS can distinguish them by their type -- a DCIM hack isn't required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

This is the thread I was referring to for camera cards acting as drives.  Adobe may have used the DCIM folder check to fix the issue.  If so, they should have checked only to root folder.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/cf-express-card-treated-like-hard-disk/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix, removed the DCIM folder and everything works perfect once more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this change of behavior with respect to DCIM was slipped through unannounced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A thousand Internets to you! I had this same problem, changed the folder name and now it's fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines