Will it ever arrive?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
16 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/Edited/ As in keywords?

Did the OP change the title? Did I have a bad day?

So, perhaps something as ON1 Keyword AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Will it ever arrive?"

Judging by the lack of requests for it (which explicity matters), probably no time soon.

New features don't materialise just because you want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD  Somebody changed the title. So, you can put the meds back in their safe place 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure they want this to be a Lightroom Cloudy (where this already happens behind the scenes) exclusive feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jao indicated, LR Cloud has used AI to auto-keyword photos for many years, and most of us believe it is very unlikely Adobe will implement this for LR Classic.

You could use the Any Vision or Excire plugins while waiting for Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the many responses.

I just saw that Adobe is in fact already offering "Smart Tags" based on Sensai AI in Adobe Experience Cloud. See link here. But its only for the corporate and enterprise crowd. For us common cloud subscribers, I guess we are not worthy of receiving such "advanced" features (;

Since most here agree that Adobe will not offer this feature for normal Cloud subscribers (thank you for pointing this fact out to me), I am looking into using ComfyUI, which is a node / graph based batch processor that uses open source AI models. There is an extension that allows automatic keyword tagging of images in a batch workflow (via ComfyUI WD Tagger).

Seems like the OpenSource community is a lot quicker in many things AI these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ON1 Keyword AI is only part of their whole ON1 suite what I see, which is around 230 USD. Also, it seems that their tagging feature is very slow (based on YT reviews). 

Lightroom (cloud) has smart tagging? I will try it out. But since I have around 30k images to tag, not sure if this is a good solution for me. I am looking for a desktop app solution (I will look into the other above suggested solution - thank you btw).  

Any Vision looks very promising. I just purchased it (for 10 USD). You also need a Google API key. When you set it up, you get 300 USD credit to be used within 90 days, which is great for tagging your whole image catalog (basically for free). After that you get 1000 images per month free, which would probably work for most of us. AnyVision+GoogleAPI will tag keywords based on objects in image; it can recognise logos and will also tag dominant colors. An image takes around 4 seconds to process.

I really like the idea of tagging directly within Lightroom, so that will probably be my prefered goto option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prydała by sie opcja słow kluczowych AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any research going on that could provide something like this?

"Enter a word in the search field and LrC (or LR) would show photos that contain the described object or action even if none of the metadata contain those words."

"Enter a single word, LrC/LR would locate shots that contain the described object or action and offer to add the word as a new keyword."

"LrC/LR would examine newly imported photos and suggest adding words present in the Keyword List if the shots seem to contain the objects or actions."

This would be a huge time saver as it is tedious work to maintain comprehensive descriptive keywording.

Micke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Enter a word in the search field and LrC (or LR) would show photos that contain the described object or action even if none of the metadata contain those words."

This is already present in Lightroom Cloudy. You can search images by visual keywords that are recognized by Adobe's AI in all your images. It works amazingly well but cannot be used in Classic. Lightroom Cloudy can do this because all of your images are stored in the cloud and therefore are analyzed by Adobe's AI. Just sync a few images to the cloud from Classic and open up Lightroom Cloudy and use the search field and search for keywords that you can see in the image but are nowhere in their metadata.

"Enter a single word, LrC/LR would locate shots that contain the described object or action and offer to add the word as a new keyword."

"LrC/LR would examine newly imported photos and suggest adding words present in the Keyword List if the shots seem to contain the objects or actions."

That is unfortunately not possible in Cloudy. It hides the AI generated keyword list from users unfortunately. There have been many requests to make them visible and usable in the interface but you really only search from them. I think the fear is that if they were visible, people could train their own AI system on the results from Adobe's AI. Classic, which has far more powerful keywording tools, is very unlikely to get the AI keywording unfortunately because of the images not being stored in the cloud so can't be easily analysed this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Micke, Finland, check out the Any Vision plugin, which uses Google's Cloud Vision AI service to label photos in your catalog. That page has a section on similar services.

To build on @Jao vdL, it's unlikely Adobe will ever add this to Lr Classic -- back when the LR cloud ecoystem was announced (Lightroom Classic 7), Adobe publicly stated there would be no more improvements to LR Classic's connection with the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis said: 

> To build on @Jao vdL, it's unlikely Adobe will ever add this to Lr Classic -- back when the LR cloud ecoystem was announced (Lightroom Classic 7), Adobe publicly stated there would be no more improvements to LR Classic's connection with the cloud.

I remember them saying that, but I would not characterize this request as falling under that statement.  This request is not (as I understand) asking for something to be added to the Cloud Sync process but rather asking that a capability present the LR/Cloud ecosystem be added to the LR/Classic platform. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Jao vdL for the comprehensive answer. I had somehow missed that this is available in LR. And yes, it works pretty well too! 

But that is unfortunatrely pretty useless, at least in my case. A search must be able to address the whole archive. It's IMO unfeasible to keep the archive in the could because of pricing and reliability issues. The cloud is great for collaborating and getting shots from other devices to the archiving system, which runs on LrC. So searches need to be done there. AI-assisted keywording could be done in the cloud before archiving, but that's not available either.

I have been a LR/LrC user since v. 1.0, but if they are cutting back on development it's probably the right time to start looking for alternatives. 😞

Micke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree and would love AI searching in Classic but we're extremely unlikely to get it unfortunately. This is clearly one of the ways Adobe differentiates their cloud platform from their non-cloud platform. Hopefully enough people vote up that this gets noticed but on other requests to upgrade the capabilities of Classic with respect to this sort of cloud/ai related stuff Adobe has been non-responsive for many many years. Here is an example from 6 years ago with overwhelming support but is just not going to happen (I've made my peace 😉 😞 https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-should-be-able-to-sync-full-raw-files-to-th...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe please allow us to search our Lightroom Classic library by text description. For example, Search: elephant - then it would show all the elephants in our library WITHOUT having to tag them that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"please allow us to search our Lightroom Classic library by text description. For example, Search: elephant - then it would show all the elephants in our library WITHOUT having to tag them that way"

While waiting for Adobe to implement this (which seems unlikely), some options:

- Sync LR Classic with LR Cloud and do such searches in LR Cloud, which provides this functionality.

- Any Vision plugin.

- Excire Search.

Votes

Translate

Translate