• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Add auto update recompute to subject /sky masking after copy/paste

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the auto subject detection in the new lightroom classic update.

Idea: add an auto recompute feature to the subject masking when working with multiple images.

Observation: I'm a wedding photographer. When working with multiple images and auto sync is turned on, all of my edits to one image are synced across all selected images. When working with the auto mask subject selection, LRC basically creates a mask "preset" for the visible image but won't apply that "preset" to all other images until you manually select the  "recompute subject" button on the mask pannel. 

Why not have LRC do this automatically across all selected images? Seems like a nice improvement.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13. This feature request is now implemented. Thanks to all who participated in the is thread. 

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ]. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 164 Replies 164
164 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"is there any option within the backend SDK for creating our own form of automation for the masking re-compute? I am looking for any possible workaround for turning that computation into an automated experience."

I spent a while looking for documented and undocumented methods but came up empty (there's a fair amount in the SDK that's undocumented). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I appreciate your help looking into this. The hunt continues! Unless Adobe can knock this auto-compute out soon. Has anyone heard updates on the status of this implementation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates will be posted here. Adobe has set the status of this request to "Planned" (see the top of the thread), which they rarely do with ideas, so that's a positive indication it will likely get implemented. But Adobe almost never announces future release dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five months later and still no update to implement this obvious feature that should have been in v1. And honestly, this is more of a bug fix than a feature request. Adobe should have known better here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a notification today: Lightroom Classic Update. It will be the right time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour.

Lightroom a enfin intégré de supers fonctions de masque comme "sélectionner un sujet".

Super j'adore, j'adhère, mais lorsque je crée un ensemble de réglages et que je copie l'ensemble, masque de sujet y compris, et que je veux le coller sur toutes les photos, tout est collé certe mais pour le masque de sujet, il faire photo par photo "mettre à jour le masque". J'ai zappé un truc ou il n'y a pas moyen de faire autrement?

Ce serait tellement évident et simple que le masque se mette à jour sur chaque image lors d'un copié-collé.

Capture d’écran 2022-04-14 à 23.12.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

en anglais "sujet", c'est "subject" (pour ceux qui lisent ce post traduit, car je vois que la traduction est mauvaise) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most popular feature requests, which Adobe has indicated is "planned":

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-add-auto-update-recompute-to-subjec...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I realize I may be late to this party, but I have a suggestion for the user experience. 

Firstly, Lightroom should be able to know approximate times for the Select Subject calculation on each user machine.  Lr could keep track of the statistic regarding the AI function times (I would expect it already does, for dev troubleshooting).  

Secondly, when a user requests a batch AI operation, Lr could use that statistic in an estimation of the batch processing time.  If the Select Subject has a 6 second average with a 1.5 second stdev, then when a user requests a 100-photo batch Lr can tell the user an estimate of "About 5 minutes; mostly likely between 4 and 6 minutes."

Finally, give the user a choice of how to proceed.  They could execute immediately, or schedule the task to run later at a specified time, or schedule to run when Lr next closes (like the "Backup When Lr Closes" feature), or maybe something cool like "Run in the Background during Idle Time" as an option.  

The tl;dr is to provide the user a personalized processing estimate, and then give them a choice on when to execute the batch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome to know this is planned. @Rikk Flohr: Photography regarding your question on expectation in terms of performance, 20-30 minutes is totally fine and understandable. The feature will still save tens if not hundreds of hours and I have no issue making coffee while the computer recomputes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would love to hear some discussion from those posting here regarding expectations about behavior, warnings, abort options, when a 100 batch of images is going to take 20-30 minutes of run time. "

I mean, regardless I'm spending that time, one of the paths just so happens to include unnecessary labor. Let me make the choice before committing sure but either way that time needs to be spent you might as well make it easier on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also comply this function in cloud based Lightroom, it is so painful to apply masked preset one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new masking features like object or sky are all great but for copy and paste on next picture to be edited the user has every time to click on update on all applied masks. This should be automated that no clicks are required anymore if user copies all settings to the next picture. "Vom vorherigen Foto anwenden"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Liebes Team

Wenn ich meine "Einstellungen kopieren/einfügen" Funktion anwende, muss ich natürlich alle Motive neu berechnen lassen. Ist verständlich...

Meistens verwende ich mehrere Maskierungen (mit der Motiv Funktion). Bei jeder Maskierung muss ich manuell das Motiv einzeln anwählen und neu berechnen lassen (siehe Screenshot). Gibt es eine 1-Klick Option alle Motive neu zu berechnen. Am schönsten wäre dass die Motivmaskierungen miteinander verknüpft werden. (Das Motiv ändert sich ja nicht nach neuer Maskierung sondern ist pro Bild einmal 🙂

Bei jeder Ebene muss ich es neu Berechnen lassen... dies ist recht mühsam und zeitraubend.

Bin ich blind oder existiert da wirklich keine Möglichkeit alle Motive mit einem Kick neu berechnen zu lassen?

Vielen Dank

Gruss

Furkan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a request that is marked as "planned", so the answer is that this does not yet exist but will come in an update one day.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is what the Adobe rep is talking about I'm not sure is what people want. I certainly do want it to "recompute" the mask, I want it to use the *same* mask in the other images. In my case I'm shooting the same subject that hasn't moved in a different light and a I don't want it to do a recompute because in the alternative light I know it will do a bad job of finding the subject. I mean I have to go and touch up the boundrys all the time anyway if it recomputes a differnt boundry on the subject then my touch ups will be no good. Having to do any manual work, or having to check if it gave me the right result defeats the purpose of a cut and paste. If I have to look at it I might as well just do the mast again by hand. It doesn't take that long, the whole point is to be able to not have to check at all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say "I certainly do NOT want it to "recompute" the mask," but I can't yet edit my posts 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I certainly do NOT want it to "recompute" the mask, I want it to use the *same* mask in the other images."

I think most people posting here want it to recompute the mask automatically.  A typical use case is taking many photos of the same scene but with slightly different positioning of the camera or elements in the scene.

Ideally, there would be an option to choose.  But meanwhile, while waiting for Adobe to figure this out, you can use the Copy Settings plugin to copy the exact mask to the target photos, as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your plugin (with AutoHotKey) and it worked wonderfully once, but it only seems to work in loupe view, in develop Ctrl+Shft+C doesn't do anything, it only brings up the copy settings window in Loupe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but it only seems to work in loupe view, in develop Ctrl+Shft+C doesn't do anything,"

Oh, the Autohotkey script refers to Library > Plug-in Extras (which won't work in Develop) rather than File > Plug-in Extras (which works in both Library and Develop).  Contact me at the support email address and I'll send you a fixed Autohotkey script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here to make the same request as others (auto update of masks), but have one more request:

I often select subject once, then select subject again and invert it.  Since LR has already had to calculate the mask one time, it should be smart enough to cache that info so that "select subject" the second time is instantaneous.  Ditto for Select Sky. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or better yet… alllow “inside/outside” adjustments of the same mask which is a nifty trick in final cut pro. One mask with a toggle allowing you to work on both areas not just one.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate