• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: More flexible UI scaling on Windows

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC, Under Edit/Preferences/Interface/Experimental Features:Scale UI 200% for High Density Displays (Windows Only).
Could you add an option for 150%. I have a 27" HD Display running 2560x1440. I am already running my display at 125% which is effective for all other Windows Applications that I use. But it has no effect for Adobe Elements, Lightroom or Photoshop CC. The option for 200% in PS CC makes everything too big again, but I think 150% should do the trick. Could you add this option in LR and Elements also? Thanks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
31 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people want this but so far the answer from a senior Adobe developer is that Microsoft's way of doing arbitrary scaling doesn't work right, yet, and it took quite a bit to get the 200% to work so no solution to other UI-zoom levels, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are continuing to work with Microsoft on the OS issues needed to allow more flexible UI scaling on Windows.

And yeah, it's really not easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 100% is way too small on the MS Surface. But 200% is so big that I can't see parts of the UI because they go off the edge of screen. Has no one on the PS team actually opened PS on the MS Surface? Ai and ID open at a good UI size without any issues at all, why doesn't PS have to be tiny or huge instead of just good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a 150% scaling option for the UI in Photoshop CC! On my Surface Pro 2, I find that at 200% I lose a lot of screen real estate, but at 100% all of the buttons are too small to reliably interact with in a touch environment. I have a feeling something in between would be perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the UI scaling is not fix in size. 100% become too small. 200% become too big. Auto just same as 200%. is really not comfortable for me. can it fix same like illustrator? all is fit in size.
or is it got any other solution to fix the display resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015 -- The UI on a laptop running at 1920 x 1080, Windows 10, HP Spectre x360, is either too large or too small, making it really impossible to use. 100% setting is too small, 200% setting is too large. When will you fix this, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well what are we to do in the meantime -- keep paying for software that we can only use on our desktop is not good. Sorry if its not easy, but it's not easy paying for software you can't use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above, sorry it's not easy to fix, but from a customers point of view, it's not easy paying for software that you cannot use. You guys are providing a product, the product does not work, get it together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go complain to Microsoft about it. They don't provide functions that Adobe can use to zoom to 150%. Attach a larger-sized monitor. Run your computer is a lower resolution video mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, silly answer, I just bought a newly developed program Rebelle, and they put in a scaleable user interface for their program, after people complained about high resolution monitors and small fonts and icons. I just bought a laptop running at 1920 x 1080 to avoid problems with Photoshop, and I still ended up having problems. My Surface Pro doesn't work with PS, my HP Spectre doesn't work with PS. My 24" desktop monitor on my desktop works fine. I'm paying Adobe for their products why should I go to Microsoft. Your answer makes me angry, and I'll leave it at that before I say something I'll regret.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Rebelle been out since the early 2000s using a programming foundation library that allows development on Macs and PCs? MS provides a way for people to scale the UI to arbitrary amounts but it doesn't work right so Adobe can't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look I'm not interested in getting into a long discussion, I've told you my opinion. I'm not really interested in what difficulties need to be overcome, others have done it and given me useable software on the tablets and laptops that I use. I'm paying for software and it needs to work properly on the tablets and laptops that I use, that's the bottom line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those other products do things in ways that MS's GUI libraries work with. Adobe is doing things differently with LR, it looks and acts different than a typical Windows or Mac application. Adobe isn't going rewrite their UI from the ground up just because it doesn't scale arbitrarily in ways that MS says it should but that don't work yet. This situation isn't optimal but there are more moving parts that what you think are squeaking and just need a little grease.

Adobe did try to rewrite the UI of the Import panel and got slapped down pretty hard by 1000s of customers and are putting things back how they were, so I can't imagine other people want to get fired or whatever happens when they waste all those months of effort, or for the entire thing, probably years, redoing everything due to scaling deficiencies in Microsoft-supplied interfaces.

I'm not saying your wanting things to work right isn't correct, just that the situation is more complicated and simplistically expecting Adobe fix something isn't necessarily correct, either. Adobe would like to get this working, as well, and if you read up above, you'll see Chris, one of the original Adobe programmers, say they continue to work with MS on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look I appreciate you trying to explain things, you are a good guy and have given us valuable information, perhaps more than what we are getting from Adobe... but, when I provide my services to a client I can't say to them, well this really doesn't work the way you want, and it's really difficult to fix, oh and by the way can I get paid while I try to work this out and give you the final product next year. That is what Adobe is asking us to do. Sorry, but it is a very tough sell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

are there any plans for the next updates to support Hi-DPI settings of 125% and 150% for Photoshop CC? At the moment you can only choose between 100% (too small on UHD display) and 200% (much too big on UHD displays, it just downgrades a UHD display to a small FullHD display). A setting of 125% and/or 150% would be perfect.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like an additional option, or range of options, for the UI scaling in Photoshop CC2015. Photoshop currently allows 100% for standard 1920x1080px monitors or 200% for hi-res monitors at 3840x2160px. I'd like to set my 1920px monitor to say 125% to get larger icons and screen text in order to make using PS more acceptable visually. My forum question has more detail here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2020181

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add 150% scaling option for Photoshop CC and Elements. 200% scaling is too BIG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 5.7 on Windows 7

The Edit Preferences UI is larger than my screen - so I cannot save any changes, as Save button not visible.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this soon - we need 150% in Photoshop - free open source software has it (Blender), so why can't a big company Like Adobe get it. We just need 150% to work on UHD screens - it can't be that much of a problem that it is now taking over a year to get this implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris it has been a year since you said you were working with Microsoft - Blender (open source community) allows different scaling no problem on Windows - I don't see why Adobe cannot manage it if an open source community can

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scaling 100% i cant hardly read
scaling 200% the letters are too big

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on - it's 2016 - get it sorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only are the scaling options provided by Adobe too limited, but when you have two same physical size monitors with different resolutions (I have two 80cm monitors, one 2560x1600 and the other 3840x2160), and use the per-monitor display scaling provided by MS to get same size window elements on both monitors, Adobe's cross-platform code can't cope - see attached screen shot, where the PSE14 dialog containing the RGB Color drop-down combo box is on the LH side of the screen of one monitor, but the actual combo box selections appear way over on the right, completely outside the PSE window. If I have the same dialog on the RH side of the PSE window, then the selections are actually completely off the edge of the screen and can't be seen at all.

It seems from the answers provided here by Adobe staff, they feel that because their code is cross-platform, we should put up with its shortcomings. I paid for a Windows license and the program doesn't work correctly in that environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2016 Apr 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This scaling problem in windows and the lack of resolution of this problem over a long extended period of time is a real blight on Adobe's record. I'm losing my confidence in your product. How long do you expect us to be patient and how long must we wait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to PSE 14 to resolve the scaling issues and see that the 'solution' is useless; too small at 100% and too big at 200%.  Not only is the scaling off, but the window borders can't be moved, exacerbating the problem (the 'panel bin' on the right side occupies too much space, and the border cannot be dragged to make it use less space).  I literally have to use a magnifying glass to use the menus!

I think we have some pretty arrogant product managers / gui designers at Adobe. I'm constantly amazed at how counter-intuitive the menu/command bar structure is in Adobe Acrobat, for example (like how do you get menus back if you accidentally lose them - I've spent hours hitting keys, right clicking, etc ... and I STILL can't remember what weird key combo did it!).

If the issue is maintaining a cross-platform code base, then break the code base into two. Code-purity is another sign of arrogance in the developer realm (been there, done that).

I will always choose a non-Adobe product when I can, because of these reasons. Unfortunately, I've invested years of my life learning PS techniques and thus still spend money on this one product.

Votes

Translate

Translate