• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why don't support the costumers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel so silly deleting layers I know I need to try and meet the file size limitations of TIF/PSD. Files are getting bigger we need PSB support or PSD improvement. whats even more frustrating is the info panel that lists the Doc: size is way off from the actual size, and the process waiting for the could not save dialog is painfully long. I am venting because I just spend 40 minutes trying to save one file.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1. ...no, +100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% this.

I don't even bother with PSD's anymore because I know they won't make the file size cut 50% of the time. Instead I zip compress TIFFs as that helps with the file-size restrictions, but the saves take so long some times due to the compression, that I have to wait to even see if it will make the cut. If it doesn't I have to begin the process of going through my "backup" layers... "do I really need this..." "hopefully the client likes what I did there and won't regret deleting this option..."
It's silly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe please, how long do we have to beg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a commercial photographer/digital artist using very high resolution cameras, my photoshop build files get to be really big. How big? Big enough to have the need to create .PSB files (Photoshop Large Document Format) in order to keep all of my layers.

I use Lightroom for organizing & processing all of my photo files. The problem is that LR doesn't read the .PSB files. Why is it that Adobe Bridge can see these files, but LR doesn't? It's 2017, shouldn't a program that's called Adobe Photoshop Lightroom support a Photoshop large format file? I think it should. Please add support for .psb files in LR. It would be a tremendous help for anyone working with large format files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 here as well. And that's a BIG 1! I really believe that every file type being written by Photoshop should at least be visible in Lightroom!

That said, and my reason to post here, is that I am doing a lot of large panoramas and startrails with my D810. Those files blow the 2 GB file size limitation in a heartbeat. The way I deal with the startrails, is that I am layering 10 shots of startrails into one PSD document. I then link each of theose 10 layer files into a master document and might add a lightpainting plus other layers on top of it. This way I am mostly capable of keeping things below 2 GB.

But off course I hit the wall with a 70 shot startrail now and I am wondering if a TIFF would keep the linked information??

I am posting this somewhat off topic question into this thread because the main problem is that PSB files are not shown in Lightroom. And with a growing catalog it is impossible to memorize the kind of document used in every shot and in the future I might miss that I layered a PSB file to twiddle around the file size limitation if those files are not visible in Lightroom. Please feel free to tell me to open a separate thread for this question!

Bck to the main topic, PLEASE Adobe, enable the display of all images that Photoshop can create in Lightroom. As others said in this thread, I would not mind not being able to manipulate it in Lightroom. But after all, one of the main features of Lightroom is to catalogue our files! All image files at least!

Or at least close the thread and state that this will never happen, or why it hasn't happened yet please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no no, they need to be visible AND manipulable in Lightroom! There's no point in having files you can't manipulate, like text, etc. One of the major benefits of Lightroom is being able to focus on the images and the images only... but when you can't work across all of the image types it becomes much less useful!
... but everything else you said +1!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve too. But really, Adobe! It is time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, listen up!!  Your customers are serious photographers, and we have serious cameras and computers.  Canon already has a 50MP camera, and Nikon soon will.  When we edit these images on Photoshop, AND we use Smart Object layers, the saved image files can quickly exceed 4GB.  When this happens, we can no longer use Lightroom to keep track of (manage) our images.  We have to invent some insane work-around, because Lightroom does not recognize the image format that your Photoshop program creates!!  Your customers have been asking you to plug this hole for 7 years now!  You've poured resources into that Lightroom Mobile feature (for cell phone photographers), and have left your core users to make-up DIY work-arounds for professional-sized images!  WAKE UP ADOBE.  We need a program to manage our images!  ALL OF OUR IMAGES!!

The clock has been ticking for 7 YEARS now.   You've already lost the cell phone photogs to Facebook, Flickr,  500px, SmugMug, iCloud, Google, etc, etc.   Please renew our faith in your support for professional photogs.  We know and love your programs, but images are getting bigger and Lightroom has not kept up.  Make our day Adobe... SHOW US THE LOVE (and the commitment to your loyal customer base).  We can live without bells and whistles, but the main thing Lightroom does is manage our image library.  This is really important.

- Sincerely yours,
  Jim Christensen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with Jim! Pleasseeee, make this an update!

And to second what Jim says . . . Lightroom Mobile??? My clients don't pay me to show up and shoot with a cell phone. It's cute, but something I will probably never use . . . . .

Steve Glass

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. Lightroom's forte is cataloging images, and with my 42 MP camera these photoshop files all too readily need the PSB format. Please, Adobe, fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has been live for 7 years! Don't think that Adobe really cares about anybody, unless they are starting to sell fewer subscriptions.  
It's ridiculous that LR cannot read their own PSB files, it's an Adobe invention after all. 
If a little feature request is ignored for that long, which would be so easily solvable, I'm starting to question,  why I should keep paying Adobe for not listening to their customer base. 
Just to make a comparison: Question or feature requests to the Capture One team are actually answered by them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have now switched LR with Bridge.
Got all my brushes and stuff from LR to ACC, ACC can do the same as LR (at least the develop part, I hardly used anything else than libary and dev), and is way faster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I switched over Capture One : way more responsive on feature requests and way more used by professional photographers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So new LRCC and LRCCC came today, and still no PSB support in any of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh.... come on Adobe.  Camera sensors are getting bigger, and so are our editing images.  You defined this market... don't fumble it away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely a bummer. It's a small update that could have made a really big difference for a lot of people. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe? Are you even there? No one from Adobe has even commented on this thread? Your silence is deafening . . .

Six years? And not even a comment. Please hear our needs? We are talking about a 4 layer photoshop document that becomes a PSB, that Lightroom will NOT read . . . . loyal customers here - we need your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty flimsy update for an entire year. This is a bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we are all posting this request in the wrong place? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is where Adobe wants all product feedback posted -- feature requests and bug reports.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In total agreement with Jim. For 7 years Adobe has beat around the bush with this. Bridge has been able to read PSB forever, Please add the ability to read PSB to Lightroom. So having PSB may impact performance, but please provide it as an option. With these high megapixel cameras, Canon 5Ds, Nikon 810\850m and Sony a7rii, you can't help but to work in PSB. Please help us here Adobe, don't wait until late 2018....release this asap!!!!.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen.

Votes

Translate

Translate