• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support cataloging PSB files

Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should catalog psb files, just as it does psd files. I have many psb files that are not over the 65,000 pixels per side or 512 megapixel limits, but are larger than the 4GB limit on psd files, and it would be nice to see them in Lightroom.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020
Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We are working on making these improvements for future releases of Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 267 Replies 267
267 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the size limit is still there... not usefull for me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean saving it to a PSD file? Yes, that is still limited to 2 GB. If you open a file from Lightroom, make it grow beyond 2 GB and then save it, you get an error message telling you the file is too big.

However, I just tested by opening a raw file from Lightroom. I copied the background into 40 layers or so and then saved it as a PSB file, amounting to 8.92 GB. Lightroom shows that PSB file in the catalog after the "Save As" action, didn't have to do anything like synchronizing the folder. So yeah, for me it works and I'm delighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I’m talking about psb files larger than 512Mp.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh OK, I understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be already happy, it Lightroom Classic did show up PSB files. If you must save a PSD files as PSB file because it's > 2 GB, this will yet never again show up in Lightroom Classic, even not after synchronising folder. And that's kinda ridiculous...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a Radial/Zoom blur filter having realtime preview we are already waiting since 2004...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  is definitely a step in the right direction, but I see some problems. Primarily, files must be saved with "Maximize Compatibility" checked. I guess this creates a layer that LR can read and use as the thumbnail and as something to edit in the Develop module. HOWEVER, this adds quite a bit to the file size. I the case of my 100MP captures, it's 2GB per file. I currently have around 200 psb files. In order to use this feature, I have to add about 400G to my storage capacity. Not a huge amount, but significant. Worse, I have to go back and resave every file with max comp. I'd much prefer if there was a way to read existing files - wihout being able to develop them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic, were released yesterday and contain initial support for PSB files.   Please install the appropriate update. You can read more about the updates here.

Note: Lightroom pixel-dimension maximums (65,000 Pixels long edge or 512 MP - whichever comes first) continue to be a limitation but the team is looking into expanding this range in a future enhancement for the PSB file support. 

Thank you for your patience.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like all files within Classic, the maximum dimensions are 65,000 pixels on the long edge or 512 megapixels. So it’s a start but it doesn’t fully support PSB. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Primarily, files must be saved with "Maximize Compatibility" checked. ... Worse, I have to go back and resave every file with max comp."

Using PSD files in LR has the same drawbacks, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I observe different behavior that appears correct:

1. In LR, select a raw and do Edit In Adobe Photoshop.

2. In Photoshop, do File > Save As and select Format: Large Document Format.

3. Observe that the saved .psb appears in the LR catalog stacked with the original raw.

If you're observing something different and undesirable, post in detail the steps you're taking and what's going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so happy to finally see PSB support in Lightroom Classic! PSBs are part of my daily workflow as a commercial photographer, and I have been waiting for this update for years. Thank you Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Adobe!  This is THE feature I needed most in LR... the ability to catalog all of my images.  I was losing faith, but you came thru.  Thanks a million! - Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it would be great if I actually COULD catalogue all images, sadly the size restrictions are still there... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify for others: LR restricts all images, of any format, to be no larger than 512 megapixels and no larger than 65,000 pixels on a side. The addition of PSBs to LR doesn't relax that restriction, but it does allow files larger than 2 GB (PSD) and 4 GB (TIFF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size restrictions affect a minuscule percentage of photographs.  I suspect most  photographers photos will be well under the limits and they will happily welcome the addition even with the restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s is the minuscule percentage and how was that percentage value produced? 
It’s odd Adobe can’t fully support their own file format as designed. I’m not going to suspect why that is; I don’t like suspecting. 
"I never guess/assume. It is a shocking habit -- destructive to the logical faculty." -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not enough... try harder Adobe and give us NO restrictions. This is not professional !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you, Adobe. A very long time in coming. Such a badly needed feature. We look forward to larger dimension importability in the future. One suggestion: while I know Adobe, nor any company, wants to promise features and not deliver, it would have been considerate if 3-6 months ago, Adobe told us, hey, we're listening and we're currently developing this functionality, so stay tuned. The total silence during this lengthy request was very alienating and really was unneccessary for a company with customer-driven products like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit the limit with the first image I tried. Thanks for the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you adobe! This is brilliant. I just tried the update. So MUCH better! Thank you, thank you thank. I'd almost lost the faith . .. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Took a while, but hey as we say "Ende Gut alles Gut".

As for the 65'000 pixel limit I think this really only affects a very small hand full of people. This converts to 5.5 meters (18 feet) @300 dpi. Modern fine art printers can upscale images up to 4 times which would convert this to be 22 meters (72 feet). So technically you could work on a 22 x 22 meter image (printed) in Photoshop and Lightroom now. Besides that there's no printer that can print this in one go, that's plenty considering the viewing distance rule onto this print in real world conditions.

Off course there might be people that are, rightfully, exceeding this limitation in their work. But hey, that's why we're all called creatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that viewing distance rule is because of shortcomings in res. My 96” wide prints are at 1200dpi and customers view them at 1-2 feet because they /can/. It’s not upscale - it’s massive telephoto stitches.
[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am extremely happy they released PSB support with size restrictions now instead of waiting to accommodate the larger sizes.  They can take their time to remove the restrictions if they choose but this present feature is useful NOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They shouldn’t take their time. The new support is great, but for my work I still can’t use Lightroom to get all my images catalogued. Especially since starting to work with the IQ4150 and GFX100 I easily reach the size limit on nearly all of my panorama work.

Votes

Translate

Translate