• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support sub-second (milliseconds) field in file naming templates.

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would allow people to start filenames with date-time so alphabetical order is same as capture time order, and would create unique filenames (without yet another field) and properly order bursts....

Presently, exif metadata includes subsecond field, but Lr filenaming template stops at full seconds. So for unique filenames, one would have to tack on some kind of sequence number or something as well.

So, as things stand, one can have:

YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS_{seq-num}_{photog/camera...}

but not (as I would prefer):

YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS-MS_{photog/camera...}

A side benefit is that filename indicates subseconds between shots in a burst, which is otherwise unavailable in Lightroom without a plugin. Although, I could argue for displaying that too in formatted metadata display, even if only upon mouse-over.

---------------
I would like to use Lightroom import dialog box for importing, instead of the plugin I use now, but it stops just shy of what I need/want still. - this is one of the things. However, if import actions were implemented, that would be enough.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
58 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that you can do that, but the problem is that I cannot edit the capture time of the photos in Bridge as I can do in LR (Metadata => Edit capture time). This however would be necessary to have the file reflecting the actual capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can rename files using {hour}{minute}{second} autofield (tag), but for burst shots it won;t do the job (more than one pic in one second). 

Adding milliseconds in the renaming "sequence and date" part would be extremely handy (we have such info in exif) so it should not be complicated to extract that... I would have unique filename using simple timestamp (i know i can use sequence# / image# option, but it is not that convenient).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, with so many cameras now capturing 10,20 and 30 frames per second, it is time to cater for split second capture time, ability to sort images by correct capture date/time and use split second elements in file renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Downloader Pro to change file names on import from my camera card. I include the date and time in the file name. My wife got me a new MacBook for Christmas and Downloader Pro does not work on MacOS (and they state that they have no plans to develop a MacOS compatible program). I can include the date and time on import to Lightroom, but I have not figured out how to include subsecond precision in the time, which was easy in Downloader Pro. This is needed for files obtained during fast bursts of photos (up to 12 frames/second). Does someone have a way to add the subsecond time to the file name? Subsecond data are in the EXIF data down to 0.01 second (0x9290-0x9292) so it should be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there is currently no option to add subseconds to the filename, when you use the internal Lightroom Classic funktions.

Lightroom Classic will add an additional digit when you have multiple photos with the same time (minutes & seconds).

Therefore you have a clear name, even when you sehelct hours minutes seconds and a filename.

For macOS you can use the tool Exif Renamer

https://exifrenamer.en.softonic.com/mac

This tool can subseconds in different versions, very powerful tool to rename photos based on EXIF information.

But then you have to disable the renaming in Lightroom Classic!

Ralf

I use MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.2) / Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2) / Lightroom (Lr 5.2) with Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I can only use hours, minutes and seconds for filenames.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 08.27.06.png

Over the last years more and more cameras are able to shoot fast bursts with multiple photos each seconds.

Unfortunately this is not really reflected in the current filename options.

When I have multiple photos in the same second the system will add „-2“ and „-3“ to the end of the filename.

The exact time is available in EXIF data and could be used.

Lightroom Classic is using it for sorting the photos.

It would be very helpful if we get the option to select sub-seconds from the menu!

Maybe ever in different options like 0.1 second / 0.01 second and 0.001 second, but even one option with always 3 digits (0.001 seconds) would be better than the current version.

Ralf

I use MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.2) / Photoshop (Ps 23.2.2) / Lightroom (Lr 5.2) with Creative Cloud 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please vote on this request, maybe more user will need this option.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/update-filename-options-add-sub-seconds-as-an...

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Adobe Bridge, which comes with your subscription.

It's easiest if you do the renaming before adding metadata or making adjustments, so you don't lose any work (or rename before importing). But assuming you want to use LR for importing and that you do work on the images before renaming,  do a Ctrl S on PC / Cmd S on Mac and save your work to the files. Then rename them in Bridge, and synchronize the folders - the old-named items will be removed, the newly-renamed files will be imported.

Here are the options in Bridge's batch renaming tool.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 10.59.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

yes Bridge would be an option, but then I have to switch between programs.

Here my normal workflow.

1. Import all files from memory card
  2. During import automatically renaming the files to "DYYYY-MM-DD-THH-MM-SS-LR" I add the "LR" so that I can see in Apple photo that the original is in Lightroom Classic
  3. Do all my edits
  4. Export JPGs in small resolution to Apple Photo App

The problem is that I sometimes forget to adjust the different cameras to the correct timezone, then I have to change the time for a camera. But then I also have to rename the file, so that time and name will match.

When I do busts I get names like "DYYYY-MM-DD-THH-MM-SS-LR-2" and "DYYYY-MM-DD-THH-MM-SS-LR-5"

Better would be "DYYYY-MM-DD-THH-MM-SS-020-LR" and "DYYYY-MM-DD-THH-MM-SS-040-LR".

It's only an issue when I take photos of flying birds or other moving animals.

Would be much easier if I could do this in Lightroom Classic "F2", without switching to Bridge.

As I wrote "Bridge" is an option, but would be great if Adobe would implement the milliseconds to the naming options for LrC.

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of subseconds, you can add 'File Name Number Suffix' to the mix. That is the number that the camera used in the file name, so for example if the file name is DSC_1234, then the number suffix is 1234. This is obviously always unique, even if you shoot a burst with many frames per second.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Instead of subseconds, you can add 'File Name Number Suffix' to the mix."

That only works if you're shooting with one body. I frequently shoot with two or more (different lenses on different bodies to avoid time for lens changes). Sometimes a second shooter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom Classic will add an additional digit when you have multiple photos with the same time (minutes & seconds)."

I have seen instances in which the files are not downloaded exactly sequentially from the card. That means that sequential additional digits might not be sequentially chronological. It would satisfy the requirement to keep different file names, but doesn't satisfy my OCD.

I will check out Exif Renamer. I don't see a problem if I disable the renaming in LrC as long as they get renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the metadata in the image that your camera placed into it does not include sub-seconds. LrC needs that to use in renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dwight1775 wrote:

"Instead of subseconds, you can add 'File Name Number Suffix' to the mix."

That only works if you're shooting with one body. I frequently shoot with two or more (different lenses on different bodies to avoid time for lens changes). Sometimes a second shooter.

Why do you think it only works when shooting with one body? I shoot with up to four bodies and I have never had a problem with this approach. I'll have to admit that I'm so slow that I cannot change bodies in 0.2 seconds, so perhaps that is the reason... 🙂

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only works with one of my bodies because my camera file names are not synchronized. If one camera takes a photo it might be named DSC_2349 and the other camera takes a photo 0.1 second later (second shooter) it might be named DSC_8845. Yes, it provides unique file names but they don't sort chronologically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why that link didn't come up when I started my question. It usually presents similar questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully support this request.

It would be really good if I could rename my files within Lightroom Classic.

Especially because this option with milliseconds is currently used in Adobe Bridge 2022.

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to add anything to the name template, Lightroom will add additional digits if needed.

Here an example from Lightroom Classic.

First 3 Photos are slow starting, there is only one photo and the time is clear.

Starting with photo 4 (fast burst) Lightroom Classic will add additional digits at the end of the filename.

You have unique filenames, but it does not look nice and clean.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.16.50.png

Here the same photos with the naming option from Bridge 2022.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.10.31.png

Both version will work, but the version with Bridge is nice and clean.

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but the metadata include this information.

I renamed the files in Bridge and there the milliseconds are shown in the filename.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.10.31.png

When I do the renaming in LrC I get this result. 

Only HHMMSS, LrC will add an additional digit if there is more than 1 photo in a second.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-05 um 23.16.50.png

Here the selection list from Bridge (12.xx), with milliseconds 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-06 um 11.33.30.png

And here the list from LrC, unfortunately without milliseconds.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-06 um 11.35.31.png

I use Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.2) on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dwight1775 wrote:

It only works with one of my bodies because my camera file names are not synchronized. If one camera takes a photo it might be named DSC_2349 and the other camera takes a photo 0.1 second later (second shooter) it might be named DSC_8845. Yes, it provides unique file names but they don't sort chronologically.

I think you should simply try this rather than dismiss it for a theoretical reason, that may happen once a year or so. Yes, it's true. If two different shooters shoot at exactly the same second, this may not work. But let's be realistic. How often will this happen? And can you sync two cameras so precisely that they are synced to the subsecond? And even if you can, will they stay synced to the subsecond during an entire shooting day? Are their clocks not going to drift even 0.1 second? I doubt that very much, so I doubt very much that using subseconds would avoid this 'problem'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use EXIF Sync if I'm shooting with multiple bodies.

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/exif-sync

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thank everyone for their suggestions, but at my advanced age I'm kind of stuck in my workflows. While the use of Bridge or the use of LR supplied additions to the file name will most likely work, it will represent a change in my workflow or filename style. 

Since I haven't used Bridge for many years, I'm not familiar with the use for renaming and importing files, but it seems like it would take 3 steps: (1) download files to disk; (2) rename files; (3) import to LR.

The use of added numbers would be a change from my old file name styles so I would like to avoid that.

I have now given up and have written my own program to do the download and filename change to mimic what I had with Downloader Pro. It's not perfect since I just learned Python last year, but it is serviceable and I wind up with filenames just like I had before. 

The best solution would be for Adobe to include subsecond ability in the file renaming, since there's only one program involved. But until that happens I have a working solution to my problem.

If anyone has the same problem and some proficiency in Python, I can supply the script that does the job. However you should be aware that I am not an expert programmer so the code will need polishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

since years lot of photographers asking you for the ability to rename pictures with milliseconds as part of name. It works in Bridge but I dont want to do this because I have to resynchronize the folder and I'm loosing lot of time.

Sorry, but I can't understand why you ignore so many people asking you for implement this "feature".

I'm using the last version of LR 12.0.1 on Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate