• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support sub-second (milliseconds) field in file naming templates.

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would allow people to start filenames with date-time so alphabetical order is same as capture time order, and would create unique filenames (without yet another field) and properly order bursts....

Presently, exif metadata includes subsecond field, but Lr filenaming template stops at full seconds. So for unique filenames, one would have to tack on some kind of sequence number or something as well.

So, as things stand, one can have:

YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS_{seq-num}_{photog/camera...}

but not (as I would prefer):

YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS-MS_{photog/camera...}

A side benefit is that filename indicates subseconds between shots in a burst, which is otherwise unavailable in Lightroom without a plugin. Although, I could argue for displaying that too in formatted metadata display, even if only upon mouse-over.

---------------
I would like to use Lightroom import dialog box for importing, instead of the plugin I use now, but it stops just shy of what I need/want still. - this is one of the things. However, if import actions were implemented, that would be enough.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
58 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any cameras actually input fractions of a second in the metadata?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Almost all camera manufacturers do include fractional seconds in the industry-standard EXIF fields; Sony is one troglodyte manufacturer that still refuses to do it.

You can view the fractional seconds using the Debug Capture Time field in the Metadata panel's Default tagset (click the Customize button) or the Date Created field in the IPTC tagset:

johnrellis_0-1668224930094.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new on that, dear Adobe? It really cannot be done?

thx, m.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to encourage Adobe to include this important feature, and to know when this will be implemented. I find it useful to change the name of the image file to something meaningful and I include the date and time to avoid duplicate file names. If I shoot a burst at 10 frames/second I might get 10 different image files within the same second, so subsecond time is important to separate the file names. I used to use Downloader Pro to change the file names and that program handles subsecond times (it appears Nikon records subsecond times to 0.01 second in .NEF files). Alas, I have switched from Windows to Mac and Apple does not support Downloader Pro. I wrote a python script to do the job but it would be SO MUCH EASIER if it could be done with the Lightroom import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am a few days after the eclipse trying to get precise relative timing for my many photos, taken at 20fps, in order to analyse them against high precision eclipse predictions. It would be very helpful indeed to have access to EXIF's "Sub-Second Time Digitized" within Lightroom, both in the Library Metadata inspector and for file naming purposes. It's a PITA to have to switch out to other applications to view this field - please consider adding it. I'm sure there are many, many other use cases where this data is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@stephen.trainor: "It's a PITA to have to switch out to other applications to view this field"

LR displays the capture time's fractional seconds in the IPTC > Date Created field:

johnrellis_0-1712892579403.png

Sorting Library Grid view by capture time will recognize the fractional seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnrellis thank you! Well, I never found that in all these years - shame we have to parse an ISO string instead of having something formatted to look that, but this will do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate