• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Desktop: Edits disappear after a few minutes

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new bug since I upgraded Lightroom to V3.2 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Here's the process I've been using for years: I import raw images from the camera's SD card. I flag the ones I intend to edit. Then I pick one to edit and duplicate it. After anywhere between half a minute to 10 minutes of editing the duplicate, the image goes black. When I go back to the Grid view, the thumbnail for that photo is also black. If I select the adjacent image in the grid to edit, and then use the arrow key to get back to the black one. Then the image reappears, but with all the edits gone.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Magnus, 

I tried to duplicate this on my MBP 10.14.6 and did not experience the issue after 20 minutes. I have a few questions:
  • What is your OS on your Macbook? 
  • If you turn of the GPU options in Preferences>Performance, does it still happen? 
  • You are connected to the internet while doing this?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk!

This isn't 100% repeatable for me either, but I'd say at least 80%.

- MacOS 10.14.6
- I've had the GPU option on until just recently, but it's happened twice since I turned it off
- Yes, I'm on the Internet the whole time

Actually, I just now discovered that if I hit Export (shift-command-E) right after the image goes black (still in the Edit view), then the exported jpg has all my edits. Also, when I used the left/right arrows after that, I got the image to pop back up, with all my edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you can get a video or screen capture of it in the act? So far you are the sole report on this and if we can't reproduce, I have nothing to bring to the engineers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! This happened just now, this time before I had done any significant edits (I had only hit the "Auto" button to check if that would be a good starting point for adjusting exposure). The photo had been in Edit mode for a few minutes because I switched to something else in the browser, but then within seconds of switching back to LR, it went black:

As you can see here, it stays black after that when I switch back to grid view:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen on Copies?  
Can you get it to fail on a non-copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried a few photos just now and so far I've not gotten it to fail on originals, only on copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've written a bug for this. Thanks for the report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 3.3, an update to Lightroom Desktop, went live on June 15, 2020 and contains a fix for this issue. Please install the update and respond back if it does not cure the issue for you. Thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the bug is still there. In fact, it's gotten worse: Instead of the image going black, the photo (both original and copy) disappears from the library. This has happened three times now and two of these times when I checked in the finder, the file was gone as well. Fortunately I still had the original on the SD card so I could re-import the photo.

When this happened just now, I tried hitting undo a few times immediately after this happened. That only made things worse: it "undid" my last action on the missing photo (a slight rotate) by rotating the previous image in the library by 90°.

I'm not sure if this is correlated, but since I installed the 3.3 update, the keyboard shortcuts occasionally stop working (e, c, i, p, etc.). Hitting any of those keys just produces the invalid-action beep. The arrow keys and all mouse/touchpad actions are fine. While it's in this state, the File menu becomes empty (it still says "File" in the menubar, but clicking it does nothing). The other menus are fine. The problem can be cleared by restarting Lightroom, but sometimes it also goes away on its own.

I'm still running 10.14.6, with the GPU in "Auto" (same as before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional information. We've opened a new issue with your additional information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened again just now: while I was editing a photo, the photo (and its copy) suddenly just disappeared from the disk and the library. Just poof, as if I had never imported it from the card! Unsettling to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still unable to reproduce this. Can you give us step by step replicable instructions or record a video of this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products were officially released on 10.20.2020 that include fixes for several issues and may affect this issue. Please install the most recent update and confirm that your issue is now fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I am having this issue today. When I duplicate a photo in Lightroom v5.1, after a few minutes both the original and the duplicate disappear. Neither show up on in the Deleted folder or on the cloud and they appear to be completely lost. I'm running a 2021 M1 Max MBP 12.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate