Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Mobile: iOS local storage

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 128gb iPhone 11.

You can see my settings for Lightroom in the screenshots. You can also see how much local storage is being used by Lightroom - it is using 56.07gb of local storage. As a result, I am constantly getting the "Your iPhone storage is full" message, which makes my phone unusable for doing things like....taking photos. The irony!

I have already tried deleting the app completely and reinstalling, but the end result is the same. Am I missing something here or is this a bug of some kind?

Thanks

IMG_0915-72d41594-39e5-40a6-9d0b-d449f09486ca-1481608100.PNGIMG_0915-72d41594-39e5-40a6-9d0b-d449f09486ca-1481608100.PNG

IMG_0916-c15f7ccc-a1fa-4d2f-ba37-2add29ceef95-1482531621.PNGIMG_0916-c15f7ccc-a1fa-4d2f-ba37-2add29ceef95-1482531621.PNG
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Android , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have some albums marked to "store locally", which you'll find in the albums' ... menus in the library view. Go through and turn those off them come back and hit that clear cache button to clear space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your screenshot it looks like that you have "store-locally" enabled for an album. But as you mentioned that you were seeing this after a clean re-install I'm wondering if that is the case. Could you you double check and let me know. - Guido/ Lr Mobile QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both for the replies. I have double checked and cannot find any album marked to Store Locally. And as G_Reule pointed out a clean install should have removed that setting. 

51gb is close to half a third of my library and I don’t have any albums nearly that big. 

What else could be causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your phone is running out of storage in general. Here is an Apple article on managing your phone's storage.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201656

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, I'm not sure I understand your suggestion? When I look at my iPhone Storage (under iOS settings) I can see that Lightroom is taking up 63.68GB of space.

By comparison, my iOS photos library (which is identical to my LR library) is only taking up 5.4GB of space.

So yes, my phone is running out of storage as a result of LR using 63GB of space. I don't want it to use so much space and it should not be using so much space. 

My question is, how do I stop it using so much space? It is a cloud storage solution, so in theory I should be able to say "don't use any space locally except for the application itself". How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ben_merven

_7824011 In the Library do you have albums with this symbol?

IMG_7165-eb1e95d7-03e9-403e-a108-9ac594f95327-1996289919.jpeg
---
If so, click the three dot menu to the right and turn off this setting:
---
IMG_7166-58fc83f0-6b03-461f-9376-91a75004c2be-1967660768.jpeg
That will free up the space of the "Locally Stored Copies" in your second screenshot. Go ahead and click "Clear Cache" when you're done.
That should do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rick but I do not have any locally stored albums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does clearing the cache help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does not unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ben_merven_7824011 could it be that you have used several accounts on that device? E.g. if you have used and imported images with user A, and are now logged in as user B, that could explain the issue.

If you connect the device to a Mac and e.g. look into Finder on an app level under Files, how many folders do you see there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Ignacio_B I have only ever had 1 Adobe account (if that is what you mean?)

I have done as you suggested and under the Lightroom App I see 2 folders:

- One is named a random long string of letter/numbers and is 61.34gb in size

- One is named "DepthFiles" and is 1.8mb in size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update:

I spent hours on chat with Adobe support and after some very (sorry to be so frank) silly suggestions of what could be taking up so much local storage space, they took my details and said they would call me back. That was three days ago and I haven't heard anything. So thanks Adobe for an exceedingly poor customer experience.

-----

Anyway, I have done some more digging and this is my best theory:

When you set the mobile LR app to import from the camera roll, what I think happens is that the app is making local copies of the images into a folder under the LR app. These images then sync to the cloud. However, these local copies are simply left there forever it seems, hence them taking up so much local storage. 

For context, my camera roll (standard iOS photos) is identical to my LR library and it is only taking up 5.3gb of space. I have iCloud Photo Library turned on so all my full res photos are in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right that it creates local copies, but they should be automatically purged once they're uploaded to the cloud if you're running low on space, or manually purged using the Clear Cache button - in both cases, as long as the albums are not set to be stored locally. The mystery is why Lr thinks the albums are set to be stored locally, especially after you've deleted the app and reinstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of, if you'd have had more account on that installed version of Lightroom on that device.

Thanks for confirming, this means that you indeed only have one account on that device.

If you tap on the cloud icon, are you still uploading anything? 
That could explain the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

It happened to me too. What I found is that you can delete all the Lightroom photos in the app and free the space on your phone. Go to Lightroom > Library > All Photos > Select the three dots to the upper right > Select > Select All Photos > Delete. I don’t use the cloud service, so check if there is a different folder for those to be apart. You can also take a test picture, upload it to LR and the cloud backup. Then delete from LR folder to check of the backup one remains.

That’s the only way to get rid of them. The app is just automatically importing them. Your original photos will remain in the phone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can "CLEAR CACHE" in the Local Storage setting, which is found in the App under the main settings gear icon from the main page.  How did I find this?  Because I didn't know either, and your post had me looking for a better option than trying to go through each individual album.  Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue ! Clear cache doesn’t work, the update don’t fix this problem... so what should I do ? 

CC74FAE3500E4292B071FF616FA7EF-7107b13a-879f-48c7-9d4c-5c21f8ca0e41-954989876.png
5B799A0D5EBC47058F054E63C7EE01-d5c5a289-ad96-4dda-84ee-ea5c19d032a1-902441960.png

Please help me... 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Lightroom > Library > All Photos > Select the three dots to the upper right > Select > Select All Photos > Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a simple fix in the end. Assuming you have a Mac, connect your iPhone and then go to your iPhone in Finder.

Select your iPhone, then go to the Files tab, and then find the Lightroom app and expand the arrow (it takes a little while to load).

Then you should see a folder named a random string of letters and numbers. If you look at the size of this folder it will be roughly the same as what your LR iOS app says it is using in local storage.

ScreenShot20210414at10.37.26am-43e6b03f-e344-4088-a919-51e549098f26-350104605.png

I was so fed up with the lack of a solution I just went ahead and deleted this folder using Finder. Lo and behold, it worked. All my phone storage was freed up and there was no impact on my LR library.

DISCLAIMER: I only did this one time and it worked. I have no confirmation if this is the correct way of doing things and whether there is any risk to your photos. Maybe someone from Adobe can weigh in here to confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be very careful about doing this as it sounds a lot like actually deleting photos from your library. If you have the cloud sync turned on then you might lose photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Maeva_Vgr see my solution posted below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no way you can find locally stored photos. Simple as that. If you import photos from the camera, they are stored as local. The album is not marked as such. The only way to get rid of these is to reinstall the app. The same if you accidentally hit get original. There is also some “temp” space, which gets lost until reinstall if an import gets stuck. All of this has being the case since day one of Lightroom mobile on ios. 

Votes

Translate

Translate