• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support additional flavors (non iOS) of HEIC, HIF, HEVC for Import

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe get with the program.  I tried importing *.HIF files today from my EOS R5 and Lightroom Classic doesn't even show them in the import window.  They can't be imported.  I can import iPhone *.HEIF files but not from the EOS R5.  Adobe's lack of support for import and export of *.HEIF files is pathetic

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Updates to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

(May 2023): FIXED  Sony HIF File Issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-metadata-error/idi-p/13770782 

(April 2023) Preliminary Support for DSLR flavors of HIF files (Import and Sync) was added to LrD and LrC 

(Dec 2022): See the updated doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html in section "Working with HDR Output" for updates on preli

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the LR Library does not show any .HIF files that are on my SD (only the JPG files). Hence I cannot load it up to LR Classic. Appreciate any advice on how to do this. Thanks. 

P.S. Shot with Canon R5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also cannot import HIF from the SonyA1. Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did any one find a way to convert the .hif to another useable extension on windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

we need urgently import option for HEIF and HEIC files (from Sony A1 or A7SIII) for lightroom. Please, so many photographers are waiting.... 🤨

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is to use DPP4 to batch convert the HIF files to jpg. The conversion is a little slow going, but at least you don't have to do it one by one in the camera. Hopefully Adobe gets with the program sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Spaulding - it appears with this overly hyped release of Lightroom, Adobe failed to include support for Canon's HIF (HEIF variant) format.  Canon's 4 most popular cameras support the format yet the worlds most popular editing programs (PS and LR) can't handle them.  Further more, other manufacturers like Sony'a HEIF files aren't supported either.  When is Adobe going to catch up to the camera technology?  It's been 16 months since the R5 and R6 have been released.  Also, it would be nice to be able to export edited photos to some form of HEIF.  Are we ever going to see support to import HEIF other then Apple's version and have the ability to export to HEIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... How Adobe can ignore a flagship camera like Canon R5 released one year ago ??? How Canon can produce formats that are not readable by the most used photo software ? How Adobe and Canon can ignore each other to the detriment of customers that buy their products ???  This is contemptuous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.HIF still not supported by the end of 2021... Shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography What do you mean?  Same status Adobe has not fixed the issue allowing import of Canon *.HIF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect not the HIF files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect not the HIF files from Sony a1 or Canon R5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, in January 2022 the problem persists. Still no HEVC file support other than Apple 😞
Videos from the GoPro 10 or DJI drone are not readable. What alternatives with you found group? Any preferences between On1 photo raw and Affinity Photo which supports it?
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hilariously stubborn that Adobe has invested 0% into compatibility with HEIF. Except, when you consider that the world's richest and most notorious lobbyist The Apple Corporation frequently locks down secret deals for exclusive compatibility, as part of its basic playbook.  If you're wondering why after all these years, the now-baseline HEIF image standard is ONLY supported from iOS devices, wake up and smell the coffee (and then, call out Adobe publicly on this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using lightroom successfullly to import HEIC images off my Samsung s10 phone for years.  Just this week I am unable to view my new  heic images either for import or for developing.  The previously imported images from the phone seem fine.  Lightroom indicates the file might be damaged however MacOS reads it fine and so does photoshop 2022. Previously imported heic images work fine in my catalog too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am struggling to figure out why my HEIF files are not showing when I try to import. Can you please walk me through the steps? I have the sony CF Express type A memory card creating HEIF files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no steps. Adobe refuses to support it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out (thanks to @Rikk Flohr: Photography) that LR does not support .heic photos from Android devices - in my case, the S22 Ultra. 

(I only noticed this when viewing the photos after the latest updates of LR and LR Classic - I'm sure they were processed correctly before..., but that's not important.)

LR only supports this format from iOS devices. Why? I do not appreciate this deliberate de-prioritisation of the Android platform.

So this is a feature request in two parts:

• Add support for HEIC-format images from Android devices, 
  • If you will not add support, then add least update LR Mobile on Android so that it warns that .heic images are not supported and gives the option to import with automatic conversion to JPEG.

Support (upvoting) for this would be appreciated, and any response from Adobe staff as to why this isn't implemented is welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I am using a7m4 camera.
When I try to use a high-efficiency image file hif(heif), it says that Lightroom does not support it.
I really want to use this file in lightroom.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

(May 2023): FIXED  Sony HIF File Issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-me... 

(April 2023) Preliminary Support for DSLR flavors of HIF files (Import and Sync) was added to LrD and LrC 

(Dec 2022): See the updated doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html in section "Working with HDR Output" for updates on preliminary support in Camera Raw.  Related thread

(April 2022): Support for HEIC files captured by Android devices on-board cameras are now supported by the Photography Products. 

When updates are available for additional camera manufacturers they will be posted here. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very good news @Rikk Flohr: Photography - thanks for the update.

Can you be explicit about the version numbers please (esp LR Classic and LR Mobile (Android))?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography what about for Heif/hif files created by the Canon R3/5/6 cameras.  That is what this post was originally about.  Not android.  Also please remove the correct answer from the response as it is not a correct answer to this thread.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DemolitionMan14 
This thread is currently titled: "P: Support additional flavors (non iOS) of HEIC, HIF, HEVC for Import"

Android is a non-iOS flavor.

When updates are available for additional camera manufacturers they will be posted here. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing more frustrating that watching this thread. HIF @Rikk Flohr: Photography HIF was clearly the main concern. There is still no correct answer.

Marking this as correct answer is only 1/4 correct and that's giving you credit. Bottom line: you are dumping because you know the real reason this isnt supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate