• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to read XMP metadata in smart previews catalog?

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

My client (photographer) sent me XMP files for the photos I need to apply. But I only have a catalog with smart previews. Where should I locate XMP files so I can read them from catalog? Is it even possible?

Thank you!

PS. For now I can't "read the metadata" (see the screenshot)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you are using Lightroom-CLASSIC:

The XMP files must be located next to the original raw files. (Smart Previews are not sufficient.)

Then you would be able to read the metadata of the photos showing in your catalog.

Why do you only have Smart Previews?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awwww. It's a pity! 

Me and my client are using smart preview catalogs because it's way faster in our case. It has about 14000 photos in it so there is no way I will ask for all the originals.. 

And in this case the thing is that I already culled the photos in catalog and he's made some changes to the master photos in the same time. So I don't want to cull the catalog again and just wanted to apply the new settings to the master photos. No idea what to do now. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask him to select those photos that he made XMP files from, and then choose 'Export as Catalog'. In the export dialog he should check that only the selected photos should be exported. He does not have to check any other option, like including the photos themselves or including previews. He should send this catalog to you and then you use 'Import from Another Catalog' to import it in your catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a long forum thread here-

CLIENT EDITING REMOTE

I was given a correct answer for a method, but other experts (like @JohanElzenga ) have added to the discussion.

In summary, it can only be done successfully by a Catalog Export and Import.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines