Exit

P: Generated images violate user guidelines

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bunny.png

image (1).png

So as you can see, it's a PG-13 relatively inoffensive image of a woman in a bunny outfit. The top worked fine, and I was able to complete the top ear, which is cool. When I tried to extend the bottom with generative fill, though, I got this warning. They're just a pair of legs wearing stockings, and I wanted to extend it.

It feels like a false flag - though I could be wrong? I find myself thinking it would do the same for women in swimsuits.

Figured I'd share here.

Bug Started Locked
TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Dear Community,

On November 7th, 2023, the Firefly for Photoshop service was updated and improved for this issue. You should encounter fewer guideline errors when working on or near skin-tone areas that do not violate the community guidelines.

While the improvement is a big step in the right direction, we are continuing to explore new ways to minimize false-positives. Please continue to give us feedback on this new forum thread and also report false violation errors in the application.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1382 Replies 1382
1,381 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for tha late reply, thanks for correcting my prompt it's work like charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The false guideline violation errors are getting worse with every new beta release. The big trigger seems to be having a woman anywhere in the photo. Photoshop rarely complains about men, and will hapilly generative fill most images where only a man is present. But the presence of the most modestly-clad woman, covered from toe to neck, will cause an error. It's like just her face is enough. Putting a period in the prompt helps sometimes, but less so as the betas roll on.

It's also annoying that "grass" and "weeds" are censored. "Wildflowers" works, but will often just draw a single cartoon flower, not fill an area with grass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should grass or weed be blocked anyway. People take drugs, people get paid to shoot campaigns that raise awareness of it, but Adobe doesn't want awareness to be raised? That's damn weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, essentially you need to pu t a period in the prompt and 99% of the time you get no "violation". I was able to work for hours using that method. As soon as I left it blank, 75% of everything was a violation again. 

This thread and beta has been an education on what NOT to do with technology imo. That being the censorship. Instead of being big brother and trying to mandate everything, let people have the freedom to decide for themselves what they do on their own computer. 

One issue I am annoyed with is the fact that the AI doesnt blend well into the image saturation or blending the background edges. You can see the lines where your selection was, you can select that area and make it blend a bit better, but still you need to go in and Heal Tool to fix it up. That needs top be improved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Outside of criminal activity there should be 0 censorship for a tool that adults of sound mind are purchasing. Censorship based off subjective morality doesn't follow any linear logic therefore we're seeing its application affecting people haphazardly.

That being said, it still has issues but the blending has gotten a lot better compared to previous beta iterations. Using this software is like using magic. And all of this is still in its infancy so things are guaranteed to only get better for here. I just hope for the finished product they allow us to use photoshop as we've done so for decades - free of obtrusive censorship. People use this software for memes, people use it for business, people use it for leisure and everything in between. Let them use it how they want so long as it's not negatively impacting anyone.

Also if you have experience editing in photoshop when this program is working it feels like you can do anything. Especially since it's all in layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hoped this would be fixed with the update, but clearly not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a nice lawn style of grass try this prompt......Manicured Lawn with the (.) after lawn.    You'll often get it spot on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does generative fill always make generated people Black? And why are they so hideously malformed?  Over and over I am trying to remove a white woman from a picture and rather than removing, it keeps replacing them with various Black people.   I've tried "remove person", "remove figure" all kinds of ways to tell the engine to take that person out of the picture, but it has other ideas.   Are we putting DEI poison in this thing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon, now it is only generating hideously deformed White children instead of actually removing a person from the scene as I am telling it to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now trying to expand a scene makes creepy monsters.  This would be funny if it wasn't wasting my time.   Can I get on a bulletin list that tells me when GF will stop butchering humans and doing weird things? Screenshot 2023-08-01 130117.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite what a few YouTubers may have cherry picked to show off Generative AI features, it's a ways off from creating people adequately, at least when it comes to photorealism. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Expand has been reading too much Lovecraft.   I think it's far worse than it was a few days ago.   All I wanted to do was fill out a bench in a restaurant and it keeps adding nightmares. Screenshot 2023-08-01 132223.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@daniellei4510  Understatement! Meanwhile Midjourney can do this, to the point of challenging the uncanny valley.ardraofventax_4_teenagers_a_tall_black_boy_a_short_and_curvy_br_75e9205f-fc49-47bd-bea7-ea8bc63872e1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been saying the same thing since the last update, it's been dreadful and MUCH MUCH worse. Loads of colourbleeding, poor removals and hideous generations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, yeah it scares me sometimes when a randed unexpected humanoid (we shall call them that for the time being) appears in my generation. 

What is good is you can copy and paste elements into pictures and then generate the edges to make them look seamless. That actually works well when you use the period trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Sadly, we can say that Adobe's algorithm is not working as we all expected. There are times when even the simple act of replacing a missing hand or foot is impossible. It's really very random and very bizarre and, frankly, very annoying. On top of that, 90% of the time the faces, arms, hands, and legs are completely out of proportion or completely twisted. It's like a nightmare vision or like modeling clay. It's very weird and kind of disturbing. Hahaha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 25.0.0

MacOS 13.4.1

Gen Fill is stubbling over non-offensive objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that the image in question was a blemish on a map. I am checking the map over for scan issues, scan lines, overly large spots, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying Stable diffusion just now and some of the human figures generated there were just as hideous as what we're getting on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user-reported solution for entering a period (.) in the generate dialog is not workgin for me fyi. Still can't get around the vilation error. I haven't been noticing any kind of gender bias though, just that if I'm trying to generate (well, remove actually - GF is my go-to magical weapon for scene cleanup/declutter) anything that is close to the color of human skin it throws the error.

Gen Fill was working so beautifully just a short time ago! I rest assured it'll be back to full operation soon, we need to all give respect to our fantastic Photoshop team, they are very responsive. And they move like *cats*!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True enough. I often get the feeling that the people complaining most about Gen Fill have little or no prior experience with text to image AI. It's just something that's inherent in the majority of AI platforms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the quality and deformity problems, there are solutions (yes i would prefer better automatic generation too), you need precision and a little time but at least you can work on it.

1 Make sure selection (also working on entire backgrounds etc) is quite precise.

2 Make selection "bleed" some pixels inside the object around, for example, if you want to convert a long sleeve tshirt in a short one, select all the arm, make an expand selection over borders of few pixels (usually high res photos 15px is enough, low res even 5 pixels), and make sure that a little skin from the hand is selected, try with prompts like "skin" "short sleeve" etc.

3 Sometimes you have to work in pieces, cause AI doesn't accomplish in its randomness. Using the example above you have to divide the arm in pieces, starting from the hand, cause the AI often takes what it has around, so if you start from the hand, taking skin, and replicate for every piece, at the end you should have a complete arm with short sleeve, if you have some differences in skin, now that is all skin you can select the strange stains (don't forget to bleed pixels in good skin) and put "skin" or "." as prompts and try.

4 for some things you have to make a particular selection, for example an hand with a baseball bat, you have to contour the hand, give the selection a shape similar (but rounded) to that of a hand with a baseball bat, than add a selection of a shape similar to a baseball bat (it can also be a rectangle or elliptic, but it should contain a baseball bat), if it doesn't work at first shot, replicate steps above.

5 sometimes you have to work with pieces of copy and paste, for example you are working on an hand, 3 fingers are good, 2 deformed, take the 3 good ones, copy (copy also what is around, like space between etc) and paste on the original, merge levels, now you have an hand with 3 good fingers and the old one merged, select the rest of the old hand, make sure selection includes some pixels of the good part, and generate again.

think that most important problem now is guidelines

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert 

I think the real problem is all those guidelines are not good for customers and sometimes they are discriminative.

chubby and fat for example violate the guidelines, a fat person is against guidelines? fat belly is a like a combo of guidelines violations...
In what world "Belly" is against some guideline?? we can do it manually with liquify etc, why not making it easier with ai?

Why all anatomic names are forbidden? belly? belly button? really? i can't add a belly button, but i have to hope generative Ai will produce one random using other prompts? and this is for almost all anatomic parts: breasts(not adult industry people don't have breasts?), torso, chest, abdomen... 

i think you should focus on generative results quality instead of banning all the words in the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generatives Füllen ohne Prompts (also ohne Texteingabe) erzeugt fast immer einen Richtlinien Verstoß und funktioniert nicht.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop beta is rejecting pretty much all generative fills that involve people's skin. It says I am violatiing Adobe's rules but I am not. These images do not contain nudity or any other undesirable attributes. Can you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate