Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Feature: Enhanced Font browser is now in Photoshop beta

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

We've made some improvements to the experience of browsing and selecting the best fonts for your project.

PeteGreen_1-1709759408574.png    PeteGreen_2-1709759467151.png

You can access the enhanced font browser in 3 places:
1. Options bar
2. Character panel
3. Properties panel (when a Type layer is selected)

What's new

1. Your fonts” tab provides access to the currently installed fonts on your system or from Adobe Fonts.
  2. "More fonts" tab allows you to easily filter, browse, and preview fonts from the Adobe Fonts library directly on the canvas without the need to install them first.
  3. Clear All button lets you remove any filters you've applied such as, Adobe Fonts, Font Class, additional Font Tags, Favorites, Similar, and Language filters.

Feedback and votes

Please try this new font browsing experience and vote via the Beta Feedback panel to let us know if it's ready to be released.

Additionally, please let us know any feedback or ideas for improvement you have here in this thread!

Thank you!

TOPICS
Desktop-macOS , Desktop-Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a great idea, some improvement in this area was long due. Still, if I display the fonts list from the options bar, in the regular PS version I can see up to 20 fonts on my display (I've set the preview size to huge). In the beta version with this new system, barely 13 fit the list before it cuts off. It's not the end of the world but I'd like being able to see as many fonts as possible.

As an improvement, I have always longed for the ability to set my custom sample text (instead of the word "Sample"). See this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/photoshop-allow-user-to-change-font-sample-...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nice feature Pete, but a bit slow. 

OK, I have restarted myu computer which helped a bit.

Reset Preferences, which helped a bit more.

I was thinking that it built a cache so the next time you selected a filter, it would be faster, but that doesn't seem to be happening.  The first filter I chose takes 1 to 2 seconds, and subsequent filters seem to take longer.  Least ways that's my impression.  Before I restarted and reset Preferences, it was pretty much freezing my system!

I definitely like it though.

FYI I have 201 font groups in Windows 11

image.png

i9-13900K

RTX4080

64GB RAM

Two 2TB Samsung 980PRO (plus a bunch of other fast NVMe drives.)

So what's slowing it down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Trevor.Dennis, curious -- are you filtering within Your fonts or the More fonts? 

One other thing you could try is to clear the Photoshop font cache...can you give that a try?

Steps are here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

If it's still slow, let us know and we'll take a deeper look at it. 

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm confused now.  I'm using the More Fonts filters.  AFAICT the Your Fonts filters are unchanged and those filters are instant.

So I am guessing that the delays I am seeing are a factor of my internet connection?  I am rural New Zealand with no chance of getting connected to the fibre that runs across the road from me  It's only thanks to the nearby school that we have fibre to the cabinet

image.png

When using the More Fonts filters I see anything from 1 to 10 seconds delay, but when I fiirst looked at this, I was not understanding that I was seeing the Adobe (Typkit as was) fonts, so that delay is not unreasonable.   Does that sound right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can't tell how much delay is reasonable in relation to the Internet connection, I can confirm that the "More fonts" section works with some delay. The first time around I thought it was some trouble with Photoshop, then I realised that it was connecting to Adobe fonts, so I assume some delay is to be expected, same as with the Library panel, or any non-local feature.

At least for me, the new features this panel introduces more than make up for a small delay, but I reckon that with slower internet connections, non-local features (in general) can be harder to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlos_Oliveras -- Great to hear that you're enjoying the new feature set for browsing fonts! Thanks for the feedback. I'll check with the team on what would be expected/reasonable amount of delay when clicking through More fonts (Adobe fonts). 

@Trevor.Dennis -- Yes, makes sense. That's too bad about fiber not being available for you yet, it looks so close! Hope they're able to extend it across the street. hah!

Will see what expected delay here is/should be. 

Trevor, you also wrote,

"when I fiirst looked at this, I was not understanding that I was seeing the Adobe (Typkit as was) fonts" -- Should I take that as this should be more obvious from your perspective? Or would you expect "More fonts" to be explicit in saying "Adobe fonts"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green thanks but don't worry about the delay (at least for what I'm concerned with my connection) - I understand that a certain delay is to be expected given that it is connecting to Adobe Fonts (not browsing files on my computer). Sorry if I was not clear enough, I'm ok with how it works (except for not being able to set a custom sample text... but that's another story).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good idea. We want to use it in our law firm website's journal work.

Pi Legal Consultancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

Can you please tell me how to turn this feature off? As a designer, I do not want or need more in my windows/drop-down menus. Please, tell me how to turn this feature off/revert to a previous version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I hope it is possible to turn off this new font browser, I don’t need it! As a graphic designer I do not need more fonts... 
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jac_Irwin and @Cornela ,

Thanks for your feedback. I wonder what in particular is problematic for you and how we can make this font browser experience better for you?

In general, if you don't want to browse the additional fonts, you can stay within the "your fonts" section of the font browser. 

Are there other things that are getting in your way?

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, It is just too much visually. I also do not need an additional font browser. I would like the ability to revert back to the previous style of the drop-down, where the font browser did not show up.  The new drop-down font window is huge and intrusive and is not needed by everyone, it would be nice to be able to turn it off. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Jac_Irwin ,

The previous dropdown was also a font browser, for your local fonts, this one adds the ability to browse the Adobe Fonts library. The latter part it sounds like you don't need, assuming I understand you correctly. 

Without purely reverting to the previous dropdown, curious how we could make improvements to this updated interface for you that would make it more on-par/performant with the previous font dropdown/browser experience?

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. Visually this is too much. And it doesn't work very well. For instance I have Neue Haas Grotesk (installed via Adobe Fonts no less) and it's not appearing in the browser when I type "Neue," "Haas," or "Grotesk." It feels overdone and I want to turn it off. It's getting in the way of working right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a downgrade that the vertical size is fixed at a short size.
I would like it to be adjustable.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 04.35.40.png

Version 24.7.4 and 25.9

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 03.37.07.png

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/why-is-the-type-font-menu-selector-so...

Thanks.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post @silk-m ,

We're looking to make improvements in this area. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines