• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto-numbered lists in Photoshop 2024?

Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone point me to the documentation that describes how to manage auto-numbered lists in Photoshop? I can't find any controls within Photoshop, other than what I stumbled on by randomly pressing tab or enter (looked in Settings, Properties panel, Options bar, Para and Char panels) and can't find any reference to these lists sudden appearance in Ps 2024 anywhere online!! 

TIA,

~Barb

2024-03-27_18-28-38 (1).gif

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Hi everyone,

This is a new feature that is rolling out in two parts and this is part one.  Please share with the team your issues with workflow that this may cause or any ideas you may have to make it better.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate
38 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Here is a recommended thread on the Adobe Forums that might answer your question:

https://www.ps-scripts.com/viewtopic.php?t=8211

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle! How are you? Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, I was looking for some sort of documentation on a helpx page that documents how this feature works or even a reference to it within Photoshop. I can't find anything that talks about this specific feature, not even on a list of What's New in Photoshop 2024.

Someone stumbled on it by accident and TBH, if you had asked me this morning, I would have said that Photoshop can't autonumber lists! In case this is new to you too, add paragraph text (not point text) type in a 1 and a period and the next paragraph automatically numbers when you press enter. 🤯

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!

I am doing well!--thanks for asking! And you are right--this is new to me also. My first query in looking for it showed that it wasn't available. So thank you! I am so used to using InDesign, that I don't normally use Photoshop for pararaph text.

And in my search, I didn't find any help docs that document it either.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this feature but it really annoys me a lot. Do you know how to deactivate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find any documentation on it. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems this is new in photoshop - if I type a number, capital letter, dash, etc. first and follow it with a space, photoshop makes it a bullet. I can find no way to turn this horrible feature off, much less a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...  We were talking about this a couple of weeks ago, and I can't remember if we resolved it.  I could definitely duplicate the behaviour.  

OK, it only happens if I type a number followed by a full stop into a text box. When I hit return it automatically increments the number.  If you hit Enter a second time, it cancels it.  Pretty much how it works in MS Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Windows? I cannot replicate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

This is a new feature that is rolling out in two parts and this is part one.  Please share with the team your issues with workflow that this may cause or any ideas you may have to make it better.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubertas with any feature: good documentation, the ability to disable automatic behavior, ability to configure and save settings in presets, and ability to include in actions and scripts will make that feature better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert why was there no announcement about this new feature, and what's going to happen in part two?

"any ideas you may have to make it better" I'd imagine it's hard for people to post idea's about the new feature when they assumed it was a bug, are there workarounds to bypass the feature if you don't like it or want it, a little more information about this new feature would help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you want this to stop, you can highlight the next line and use the Paragraph panel "reset paragraph".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert 

We all know that Photoshop isn't strong with text. Neither is Illustrator compared to InDesign. Isn't a true unified text engine long overdue for all 3 apps?

Adding such a feature without the ability to change the width of the indent is very annoying. I keep looking for the "tab bar" (think InDesign) above the text box to change the indent width.

Using a "soft-return" by shift-return should bring the text back to the left of a left-aligned paragraph text block, but it doesn't, there is a small space that appears to be the width of the auto-numbered digit.

By using the reset paragraph option, one can't continue to use the list to pick up from where one left off. So let's say that I reset after the first 3 auto-numbered lines, then wish to start again elsewhere in the same block, the auto-numbering doesn't begin again like it originally did.

Why force "auto" on anybody (intellisense)? Just let them select the lines of text and apply a list option manually instead?

Will there be an option to do this for bullet points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most important thing is to be able to turn this off. Period.

@CoryShubert  you know we do appreciate getting new features but... does anyone at Adobe actually use your apps? I mean in professional production?

Here you are, adding auto formatting of text, but if I manually create a style, I can't make that persistent and available in all my new documents. I can't globally find and replace text in an open document with multiple text layers (yes I know about Find aand Replace in the Edit menu. It has a bunch of problems.) I can't script text formatting without using ungodly AM code. I can't easily import or export text. JUST text handling, I've had to become a programmer to do in a business production role as a photographer.

IMHO, the product teams frequently have priorities all wrong. You give us options that we could do with out but leave holes in the product everywhere. I'll never use auto bulleted lists but I would use scriptable find and replace and global styles applyable in a script or action ALL THE TIME.

i mean, yay, but, seriously? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory:

Thanks for weighing in on this.

Being able to disable this feature should be the first priority. The person trying to type a name—A. Smith was an example shared elsewhere—and finding themselves inadvertently activating auto-numbering that they can't disable is a valid concern.

I don't envision a lot of people using Photoshop to create nested lists. But if they're going to use this feature, the second priority would be giving them the option to control the width of the space between the number and the content. As I tab over in my video, you can see the spacing is inconsistent.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. Once a number is added to a list I can't remove it without deleting the whole layer and retyping. Sometimes I want the number to be a different font than the content. Let me disable this. It sounds like something useful, but without some extra control it's simply impeccably frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert,
the most important things are to be able to turn this on and off and the posibility to edit the position (and size) of the space between the numner and the text.
I tried the new feature om my Macbook by using the font Myriad Pro in differen sizes an got some strange results. First I tryed a top 10 list and the "10." has a different position. Second I've created a simple a to z list. Here are more problems on the basis of different width of the single letters. Pleas see screenshots.
ThanksLevels.pngNames.png
Joscha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing i miss is the tabs panel to edit the tabs position
like it is in Indesign or Illustrator.
(by the way: formating the text in Illustator in the right way and copy/paste it to photoshop works fine.)
So if your part two is to bring up the tabs panel i'll be happy with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a good function, BUT:
- How do you enable and disable this?

I have a list that has automatically taken numbers.
I would like to delete one of them. It's IMPOSSIBLE at the moment!

Good idea to create bulleted (and no) lists in photoshop. BUT, this needs to be FULLY integrated! Not an automatic thing with NO windows to manage ANY parameters... It's very frustrating!

I've just wasted 1 hour of work trying to DELETE a no from a numbered list... and I can't do it 😢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's a good function, BUT :
- How do I activate and deactivate it?
I have a list that has automatically taken numbers.
I'd like to delete one of them. It's IMPOSSIBLE at the moment!
It's a good idea to create bulleted (and unbulleted) lists in Photoshop. BUT, it has to be COMPLETELY integrated (with a COMPLETE window that lets you manage and modify ALL THE PARAMETERS)! Not an automatic thing with NO window to manage the settings... It's very frustrating!
I've just wasted 1 hour of work trying to DELETE a no from a numbered list... and I can't 😢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out how to completely disable this yet?  I absolutely do not want this feature turned on EVER and it is making a project I worked on just fine a couple months ago absolutely hellish!  I want to be able to use a number and then hit return to help format text line breaks a specific way WITHOUT adding another number to front of that new line!  Why on earth can I not figure this out!? I'm so upset!  I have wasted over a hour now trying to figure out how to turn this off!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all those who wish to disable this:

Best I can tell, the auto-numbering was released in version 25.6 (and is still intact in 25.7). You can use the CC Desktop to install 25.5 or earlier (i.e., 24.7.2). I'd imagine we will get an update here when this is adressed. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REMOVE THIS! Who asked for this? An automatic numbered list that you can't turn off or control at all? Ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate