• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing during sleep

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2019 is freezing up when I put my computer in sleep mode. I have to kill that process and restart Ps. Rebooting seems to help for a day or so then the problem is back. I did not have this problem with 2018, nor do I have this problem with any of my other apps.

I have a 4th-gen 4.00 MHz i7, 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD (only a couple of months old), and a decent graphics card with 2 GB of RAM (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
This issue should now be resolved with the 20.0.2 update that was released last night. Please let us know asap if that's not the case. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yuko, 2018 had been running fine. The problems really started with 2019. However, I will have to say I had a couple of crashes when opening 2018 in the day or so before I installed 2019.

Jeffery, I did not realize there was an update. That was kind of what I have been waiting for, was hoping the first point release might help. I oddly have not seen notifications pop up tonight. I will install and try it, thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the 20.0.1 version and same problem. 😞

I go back to 2018 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No crash report. It just freezes, as Carol notes. This does not happen on my laptop. Only my desktop system. Same version of PS and same version/build of MS Windows 10. Oh, BTW, I just received an Adobe update to PS, version 20.0.1. I thought maybe they fixed this in that version. Nope. Still freezes after sleep. Works fine until then. I have looked for ways to notify Adobe of this problem. I'm not sure they are even aware of it. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have an external hard drive connected to the desktop. Note that the latest versions of other CC products don't have this problem. Only Photoshop 20.0.1. Previous versions of PS before the 2019 version did not have this problem, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, installed 20.0.1, and YAYS, did not freeze during sleep. I thought I was golden. Then I re-enabled a couple of things I had been asked to disable, first Recovery. Still worked fine. Then I tried to reenable graphic acceleration, and my graphics card was not recognized. I rebooted, and then it worked fine.

I put my computer to sleep today, and Ps was still working when I woke it tonight, and it still recognized my card. It usually takes a couple of days for things to go bad, so too early to tell.My guess is that it is going to go bad again, though.

I think the whole issue is that my graphics card is too old for Ps 2019. I think Ps is only going to run well on current gear, and that it has moved on past my system.

I had planned to upgrade my graphics card in the spring, then perhaps my MB and CPU the next, but this whole thing has me wondering if that is a good idea, that perhaps I should replace my whole system. Although I only built it four years ago, I used trailing edge components to save money, so really everything is five years old model-wise.

I cannot really spent $1500-2000 on a new system right now, so I think the solution is to not renew my Photo Plan next week, and boot the Adobe apps. Although an MMORPG I do (Second Life) can be pretty laggy at times, mostly my system serves me well, and I can live without Ps. I will miss it in some ways, but I don't need something I can't use, and I don't want to commit to a whole year when it will be months or years that I will even be able to use it.

Good luck to everyone else!

Carol 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after two sleep intervals, locked up. Bye for now, Adobe. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two theories, GPU/driver issue and/or a conflict with Chrome browser. Is everyone affected using Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*I* am, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey  No not me. I have used Chrome for years. Windows 10 desktop pc.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't buy the crap that it's your system's fault! If Windows 10 can run on it, so should Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here!
It is NOT the computer's fault. My computer is (relatively) old, too, but it's powerful enough to render 4K movies on Adobe Premiere Pro CC, that I can run without problems, and also I can run Illustrator, Lightroom, and InDesign, all newest versions.
And I used to run easily Photoshop CC that was the current Photoshop until last month.
So I don't buy that crap that it's the computer's fault. It's Photoshop's fault, and for the price I pay every month for the full Creative Cloud subscription, they MUST fix it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It most certainly can be a system/environment specific condition. So far we’re unable to reproduce the problem. If we can figure out what the commonality is to reliably reproduce the issue, we can investigate a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for hints. This is what greets me after PS falls asleep:
RackMultipart201811175311114pl-c6cb96b4-5ddd-4b9c-9768-efc34fe40a53-1092776382.JPG

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CLARABOW
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8900
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 06B8
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1382&SUBSYS_106510DE&REV_A2\4&89A4674&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes

This system has been a veritable workhouse with CC 2018, and no changes in my Chrome setup or usage has changed since before I installed 2019

What else would be useful info for troubleshooting, Jeffrey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here too

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a nearly brand new monster PC and I am seeing this same issue.  A sleep will hang Photoshop and make it completely unresponsive.  I have to kill the process in task manager, and then it starts working again fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Brand new PC with Radeon RX Vega M Graphics Card. Photoshop is not responding after sleep mode and i have to end the task. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine completely freezes the pc, can't even get task manager to appear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem after the 2019 upgrade.  I have to go into Task Manager to close PS 2019 and them restart PS.  It only takes 10 to 15 minuets of non-use before it freezes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible external hard drive attached to PC that sleeps? I've got one, and I have this problem. I remember a couple of years ago, Dreamweaver had a similar issue, giving error messages. It has something to do with external hard drives that would put themselves to sleep after so much time of inactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disconnected my external drive, made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Non-use" and sleep maybe sounds like two different issues.  For "sleep," I assume that the user actually puts the computer into "Sleep" mode, or enough time has elapsed with no use that the computer puts itself into "Sleep" mode.  "Non-use" sounds like screen saver might still be running or even that you were using different programs instead of PS but that the computer never entered "Sleep" mode.  Maybe these things are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm using PS and then walk away for 10 or 15 minute and the computer freezes up? This does not happen in any other program, i.e LR or any other program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was only Ps for me, too, but I was putting mine in sleep mode manually. Every other single program and thing I do worked fine. I use past tense because my Photo Plan was up for renewal, and the only I used was Ps; if I can't use Ps, I don't need the Photo Plan. No Adobe anything on my computer now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manually put mine in sleep mode, personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do too, but sometimes I get distracted walk away from my computer and come back to a frozen PS screen,  I then go to Task Manager to close PS and then restart PS.  I don't have this problem with my Laptop, just my Desktop? I never had this problem until I upgraded to PS 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate