• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing during sleep

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2019 is freezing up when I put my computer in sleep mode. I have to kill that process and restart Ps. Rebooting seems to help for a day or so then the problem is back. I did not have this problem with 2018, nor do I have this problem with any of my other apps.

I have a 4th-gen 4.00 MHz i7, 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD (only a couple of months old), and a decent graphics card with 2 GB of RAM (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
This issue should now be resolved with the 20.0.2 update that was released last night. Please let us know asap if that's not the case. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Runs fine but if I leave photoshop open and the computer goes to sleep, phtoshop is frozen and I need to kill the process in task manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're both on Windows? Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what were you doing in PS before your system sleeps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffery, yes, Windows 10. 

Adam, um, using it? Nothing heavy duty, just drawing. Using a simple brush, in a 2000x2000 px 300 dpi document, with 16-bit color and Adobe color space.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had not gotten any notices of replies to this thread...even though it looks like I am following it. I guess I will look in my profile to see if there is some setting to get notices.~ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Same here. I have a Dell XPS 8920 desktop running Windows 10 with latest MS updates and latest update of Photoshop (20.0.0). I don't even have to load a file into PS. Just starting it without a file and leaving in running in Windows after sleep mode will crash it. BTW, I also have a PC laptop. Same version of PS and same version of Windows with latest updates. PS seems to be OK on the laptop. Go figure. I have been running PS on both systems with previous versions of PS and never saw this problem. Other than the sleep problem, PS runs without issues on the desktop and laptop, until the desktop goes to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Same here. I have a Dell XPS 8920 desktop running Windows 10 with latest MS updates and latest update of Photoshop (20.0.0). I don't even have to load a file into PS. Just starting it without a file and leaving it running in Windows after sleep mode will crash it. BTW, I also have a PC laptop. Same version of PS and same version of Windows with latest updates. PS seems to be OK on the laptop – no sleep issues on the laptop. Go figure. I have been running PS on both systems with previous versions of PS and never saw this problem. Other than the sleep problem, PS runs without issues on both the desktop and laptop, until the desktop goes to sleep.
(Other versions of the latest Creative Cloud updated apps don't have this issue, at least the ones that I have run so far (Indesign, Illustrator, Lightroom).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get a the Submit a Crash Report dialog? or is it frozen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys connected to any external drives, network drives or servers when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is completely frozen, I have to kill that process. Posting here was the closest thing I was able to find to filing a bug report or crash report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external hard drive connected for local backups, and use OneDrive for continuous syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here. I'm also on Win10. I have 2 external drives and 1 network drive connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, at someone's suggestion, I uninstalled and reinstalled Ps, same result. Totally consistent. Not renewing my Photo Plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an experiment, could you unmount the external drives and network volumes and let Photoshop sleep. Do you still experience the freeze?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I will unmount and even unplug my external drive tonight before I put my computer to sleep and see what happens. Will let you know tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely removed external drive, Ps still locked up, had to kill with Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
same as Jeffrey all the way. I hope it will get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the consensus on a photo gear site is that the problem is my system, not Ps. Mostly they say my graphics card is too old; it came out in 2013 (Nvidia GTX 760 Ti). And in fact, Adobe says the system requirements are a graphics card of 2014 or newer. 

One suggestion was to update the driver to my graphics card, which I did. Rebooted, Ps worked fine, recognized the graphics card, and the Performance aspects were engage. Survived a couple of sleep modes, then was locked this morning when I woke my computer.

I killed it, and tried to reopen it, and it crashed. Opened it again, and got an error saying it could not recognize my graphics card or something, and that it would not have the performance options enabled. This was new, I had not seen this before. Unfortunately, when it was crashing previously I did not look at the Performance settings, so I don't know if this was happening before or not.

In the end, I guess it is my system that is the problem. OTOH, I am not having a problem with any other programs, and did not have this problem with Ps 2018. I guess my computer is now too obsolete to run Ps. I had been thinking of upgrading my graphics card anyhow, but really, my whole system is effectively 5 years old, and probably not worth sticking in a new graphics card. So my conclusion is that I can no longer run Ps and may as well drop the Photo Plan. 

I hope this is helpful to a least some of the other people with this issue, but it sounds like external storage might be the problem for some of them. Good luck! 🙂

Carol 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.

i7, 16Gb RAM, HD 256Gb m.2 
Nvidia GTX 960 (3 years old)
Windows 10 (update october 2018)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still experience the freeze after you turn off "Automatically Save Recovery Information Every:" in Edit > Preferences > File Handling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno, will try that. Not really something I want to disable, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you changed Windows Power Option? Or is it unchanged and set to default (i.e. Turn off the display=10 minutes, Put the computer to sleep=30 minutes)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen turns off after 30 minutes, computer sleeps after 2 hours. However, I put my computer to sleep manually and power off my monitor when I go to bed, wake it in the mornings, then sleep manually/turn off monitor before I leave for the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still locked up. The only thing I have found that works is to reboot, then Ps doesn't lock up for the next day or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this would solve the problem as I read a similar thread in Japanese forum and turning off auto save solved the problem for the user. Does CC2018 run on the exact same Windows 10 machine and not have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carol, have you tried updating to 20.0.1 that was released last night?

Votes

Translate

Translate