• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing during sleep

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2019 is freezing up when I put my computer in sleep mode. I have to kill that process and restart Ps. Rebooting seems to help for a day or so then the problem is back. I did not have this problem with 2018, nor do I have this problem with any of my other apps.

I have a 4th-gen 4.00 MHz i7, 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB SSD (only a couple of months old), and a decent graphics card with 2 GB of RAM (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
This issue should now be resolved with the 20.0.2 update that was released last night. Please let us know asap if that's not the case. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you simply launch Photoshop and let the OS sleep before it freezes, or do you actually have to do something in the application before letting the OS sleep?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam -- I've tried it both ways. Just bringing PS up, without creating or loading a new file, is enough to get it to crash after the PC sleeps. Does not appear to be related to anything that I do with PS. Also, I've noticed that it does not crash immediately. One time, my PC was asleep for only a few minutes. I went back and was expecting PS to be crashed. Nope. It was fine. But most of the time -- and given enough time -- it will always crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new, very robust system and I use PS every day. This issue of freezing after sleep mode arose after the upgrade to 20.0.1. I'm still looking for a solution. I suspect it's not system related and if you have an older computer, I wouldn't rush to replace your PC given my relatively new and powerful system specs (below) and that I'm having the same problem. I'm planning to report the problem to Adobe so please continue to post here as this forum may provide some insight and also alert Adobe to the extent that users are impacted.

Dell XPS 8920 Desktop - 2018 Build
Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Windows 10 Pro V.1803
nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
64GB Ram 
1 TB SD Drive (OS)
2 TB SATA Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam:. Yes both, if there is no activity, even for a short time, it will freeze.

I just tried something different.  I saved my work in PS before I walked away for awhile.  When I came back to continue my editing it did not freeze up while I was away?  I did the same thing, saved my editing, a second time, came back and picked up my editing where I left off?  If there is any change, I will post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something to try that's very easy. I changed this setting and tested it without any freezes for several hours. But only time will tell if this is an actual solution.
In Photoshop:
Edit > Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings > Advanced:
Uncheck the box "Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation" and click "ok" twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, on my system (about 5 year old Lenovo A720 AIO, 3rd gen i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GF630M) the new PS doesn't freeze after every sleep, but only some times. I only put my PC to sleep for night time, not during the day, and sometimes PS is forzen in the morning and sometimes it's not. Today for example I was able to continue my work. Yesterday morning it was forzen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about it on DPR, and as with any problem anyone has with equipment, I was immediately told the problem was with me (in this case, my system), not the product favored by the fanboys in the forum (in this case Ps), lol. In spite of, like other people are saying, 1) I was not having problems with 2018 Ps, and 2) not having problems with anything else. It eventually moved to my system being old and out of date so my fault. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this frrezing/hanging bug since version 20.0.0.  Occurs with no other application.  Doesn't seem like any solution will be forthcoming from Adobe.  Its not an issue that can be worked around, it really needs to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now reporting 3rd day (3rd time PC woke up) with PS 20.0.1 open without it being frozen. This is probably the record in consecutive days I've been without freezing. Also I have like 5 PSDs open all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been affecting me as well. Win10/980ti. This morning though, I awoke the computer up and Photoshop had a GPU assert up for the first time. Might be a clue? 

Edit: It was still locked up at this point and I couldn't dismiss this modal.

RackMultipart20181124822181aeq-1a738ff7-77ed-4889-a187-f7c04efdc882-180649090.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem after updating. Freezes after sleep. Top of the line IbuyPower system loaded with 32 gb and 8gb video card. Also noticed the program is more unstable now.

Updated....
I removed and put 2018 back on and now things are working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue. I went into preferences and disabled the use of GPU features listed under "advanced" and don't have the freeze issue after a few sleeps and restarts.

While my graphics card is hardly new, I have to wonder what is going on with PS's use of GPU. Besides assisting blurs, I've hardly noticed it making things that snappier in PS anyway, so I can live without it for now.

I'm also having a lot of issues with the latest build of PS totally hosing many UI things. All of a sudden ctrl + or - will not zoom, I have to reset Photoshop or the tools  to get it to work. There are several other bugs like this. I'm use to PS feeling dated in ways, but not janky and buggy.

Kind of scratching my head as I've never had so many issues with PS. I think I'll be rolling back a few versions.

No external drive in use by PS here.

1950x CPU
660GTX GPU
32GB RAM

EDIT- OK, I take that back. Restarted computer and then put it to sleep, still same problem. Adobe needs to fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be a fix for the Photoshop freeze issue and it requires a minor edit to the Windows 10 registry. Read more about it here:
https://fstoppers.com/originals/quick-tip-avoid-graphics-card-related-photoshop-crashes-windows-10-3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say the article is related to the problem discussed here. They are talking about crashes while working with GPU related tasks. Our problem is presented in different scenario (putting PC to sleep and waking it up finding PS frozen) and ranges from random occurance once in a while to being quite persistant after every PC wake up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is a freeze/hang which is different than a crash. It's not really crashing AFAIK, but hanging. Plus I'm not going to touch my registry if I don't have to. I've rolled back to 2018 PS, and it's working perfectly for my needs. I'm just going to wait for adobe to fix this mess.

If this is the new norm for the next few years...well I have other options for my image editing needs, but I'd prefer to use PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried and no joy, still freezing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with freeze after sleep in windows 10, Photoshop 2019, newest 20.0.1 update. Two year old Dell workstation with raid drives,new graphics card. Have to end task in task manger or reboot system, no problem in other CC apps, or previous versions of PS. Happens if a file was left open or not.
Perhaps a clue for the adobe team: after sleep if I hover over PS on task bar the window shows temporarily (although I can’t actuality get it to open) and over that preview a progress dialog shows, different ones but ones I had recently used (for filters and auto-align layers and others) these are processes previously complete and the file even closed.
Very mysterious to me. Slowing my work, as I often take calls and look back to find I have go through whole reboot and relocate layers in Lightroom and so on. Good idea to just use 2018 until this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time to debug Adobe products for them. That monthly fee I pay every month is to provide me working software that I use daily.

I won't install 2019 until this bug is fixed. After putting 2018 back on, I've had no problems and there are not new features in 2019 that I need.

I suggest if you're having the same problem, instead of wasting your valuable time debugging it, you should go back to the last 2018 version until they fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree azim. Adobe doesn't pay us to debug. We pay a decent monthly fee and we shouldn't have to put up with buggy software.

2019 is nothing but wasted space and full of bugs. I found out the hard way. Lucky I didn't uninstall 2018.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download previous versions of Photoshop, such as CS6, directly from the Creative Cloud desktop app. You can have multiple versions of Photoshop installed on your computer at the same time, if you choose. I just put 2018 back in and no problems. My brand new 3696 MHz Windows 10 PC froze every time after sleep mode with cc2019.  https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm posting this as a new question.  I know a similar post exists https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-freezing-during-sleep , but no solution has been forthcoming on that post.

I run Windows 10 pro 64bit
i7 3.6Mhz CPU
32Gb Ram
850 Evo SSD
Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB video card
PS 2019 v20.0.1
No external HDD's
No Network HDD's
ALL drivers are up to date as at 20/11/2018

Since I upgraded to PS 20.0.0 Photoshop hangs/freezes 9 times out 10 when the PC resumes from sleep. Makes no difference if I have other programs running, or no other programs running.  Does not happen with any other adobe products.  I have since upgraded to PS 2019 CC v20.0.1 with no change in this bug.

I use PS for several hours a day and cannot afford for it to keep freezing. like this.  I have reset all PS settings and uninstalled any plugins/addons. Nothing makes a difference. The only way I can get PS back is to kill the process in Task manager.

This is not a Windows problem as no other applications are affected and this did not happen prior to v20.0.0.

I am seriously considering cancelling my sub to Adobe, as this program no longer functions in a  productive manner.

Any help would be appreciated.  Assuming Adobe will finally acknowledge this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am seriously considering cancelling my sub to Adobe, as this program no longer functions in a  productive manner."

That was my solution, but then I can live without Ps pretty easily.

Oh, and I considered it a Ps problem, too, because as with everyone else here, I had no problems with any other app, and it happened when I upgraded to 2019. However, I was informed by multiple people on DPR that this was *not* a Ps bug, but rather something to do with my system, because it wasn't widespread. So, Ps did not fail me, but rather I failed Ps, lol. I was told my system was too outdated, at 4 years old. I decided I was not going to spend $2000 to test whether a new system would work with Ps, since it was only Ps, and I could easily do without it. No more Photo Plan, no more issues.

My conclusion was that Adobe no longer cared about people with older systems, but only people who used their apps professionally and had top-end, new computers, and had moved past me. However, in the thread I started, I saw people posting with new systems with a lot of power, so now I don't know. Just glad I am not dealing with it anymore.

Carol 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally had enough.  With all the other problems in this build, I finally uninstalled 20.0.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate