• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Grid Behavior Changed in 23.1

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all PS versions 23.0.2 and earlier setting Grid to 33.34 Percent with Subdivisions = 1 created a nine-section, tic-tac-toe-style grid which divided both horizontal and vertical axes into three equal sections, providing nine working sections, each having a ratio equal to that of the canvas.

In PS 23.1 setting Grid to 33.34 Percent with Subdivisions = 1 creates canvas full of squares, each of which has all sides set to (essentially) one third of the horizontal value of the canvas only, regardless of vertical value.  There appears to be no setting available to force behavior to divide vertical values by any percentage.

If this change was purposeful, it has deprecated one of my most important tools for composition.  If it wasn't, please arrange to align this setting with results obtained from previous versions.

PS 23.1 uninstalled; reverting to 23.0.2 pending correction or confirmation of intent to change.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

This issue is fixed in Photoshop 23.2.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
67 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the latest Photoshop update today, which for me was labeled as 23.1.1 again, no change in grid behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@o la love wrote:

My setting is Gridline every 100% with 6 subdivisions

This is a known bug and engineering is looking into it. The workaround for now is to roll back to 23.0.2: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem - for YEARS I've have mine set to 50% with 3 subdivisions and it's been perfect. All of a sudden it's WAY off no matter what. I'm on a MacBook Pro Max and Photoshop 23.1.1 version. Super frustrating because I always use my grids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 23.1.1. When I turn on the grid and set it to percent, it's only lining up horizontally. For example, in an HD 16x9 resolution file, the grid center is between the center and bottom of the image, as if it sees a square with the bottom cropped off.

Anyone else running into this, or am I missing something obvious? Hopefully it's the latter.

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all have the same issue, grid percentage only works horizontally. Adobe is investigating this (since December), the only fix at this moment is rolling back to version 23.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Glad Im not the only one. I hope this gets solved soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD 23.1.1/iMac/MacOS Monterey (12.2)

I had a collegue help me troubleshoot this and they are having the same issue as I am having. I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if I have a setting checked that I'm not aware of. I have reset the preferences but that resolve the issue.

In Photoshop preferences, I have the grids set at 50 percent so I have the centerpoint of the canvas indicated. I have had the prefences set this way for years and it has worked very well. In recent versions, I'm not sure exactly when I first noticed it, the horizontal grid is set at 50 percent but vertical grid is not. I believe it is setting the veritcal grid at the same value that the horizontal grid is set at. (In a 1920px x1080px document, the horizontal grid line is set at 960 px and so it the vertical grid line.) If I increase the canvas size vertically, I get mutliple grid lines instead of the grid adjusting to the new canvas size. If I increase the canvas size horizontally, the horizontal grid line adjusts to 50 percent of the new width. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 5.54.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try enabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it help

2022-02-07 12_07_46-Untitled-1 @ 7.13% (Artboard 10, RGB_8#) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ged_Traynor!

It wasn't turning off "Deactivate Native Canvas" but you pointed me in the right direction. I turned off "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and that fixed it!

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.32.14 AM.png

My new file opened with the grid lines in the center of the canvas!

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.35.45 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ged_Traynor  I just realized you had me turn ON "Deactivate Native Canvas". That may have been the answer. I tried so many combinations I'm not sure what was on and what wasn't when I started with. Thank you for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a lesser of two evils situation. If I turn ON “Deactivate Native Canvas”, my grids are accurate but the redraw is very laggy. If I turn OFF “Deactivate Native Canvas”, the lag goes away. I guess I live with guides that don’t work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an iMac (2020) running MacOS Big Sur and I have the same problem. Rule of thirds grid, which used to work fine, is not working. I set it on 100% with three subdivisions, and then tried 33.3% with 1 division. All the same. I'm trying to teach a group of community college students about "rule of thirds."

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 3.11.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-08 at 3.12.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that you can use "New Guide Layout" instead, found under "View"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll merge this thread with the main one on the topic, so that affected users can get a notification of then a fix is issued. remember to vote on top if you are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there really still no fix for this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,