• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Healing and Spot Healing Brush Lag

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most recent 2018 update, healing and spot healing brush have become much less responsive, sometimes taking multiple seconds after completion of stroke to affect the image.

Late 2016 Macbook, up to date OS and Software

I've done the regular things like turning off OpenCL and changing other performance options... no change.
GIF framerate is sped up 2x 

RackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gifRackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gif

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it feels!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I paying for this when it doesn't even work?? Why are we the testers? Don't you guys have a bunch of software developers and testers you pay to do this work? Essentially, the users who pay a monthly fee are testing your broken software. I don't see how this model does anyone any good. Lose-lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what I've done but I've managed to get it working. Turned off the smoothing, and also the laser line thingy in the brush tool. Reset workspace (annoying, lost all my keyboard shortcuts I'd created), but for now it's fine. I am finding ACR to be behaving weirdly and it's quite slow. hopefully there'll be a fix soon, although I'll wait for the rest of you to test those. ;D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdly I'm in the same boat, after much changing of settings yesterday, and multiple restarts........... I've started it up today and the healing brush is working fine now. I'm not sure what fixed it in the end.
After many years working in Photoshop (since P.S 2) I have never experienced this level of 'rush to market untested' approach that we are currently getting with the CC updates. Adobe, you've got a lot of bugs to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2c is that it doesn't happen immediately - with me it happens after a few minutes of retouching!
Keeping an eye on the smoothing box though
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix Hannah illustrated doesn't seem possible. I can turn smoothing off, but the spot healing brush (and standard healing brush, which is also brutally slow) have nothing to do with smoothing.

Step 2 says, 
  1. When spot healing tool is active, drag smoothing to 0% (Image 2).
This is physically impossible, as the Options panel doesn't display smoothing when the spot healing tool is active! In the photo Hannah shows, she is clearly on the standard brush, not the spot healing brush.

Am I missing something??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that in general I think this is a very good update. Path colors are a great, if long overdue, addition. And large brushes work much faster on large files. Copy-and-paste layers is helpful. I'd prefer not to downgrade...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, 
It's ok, I think you're just misunderstanding the temporary solve. The bug seems to be caused by smoothing on the *brush tool.* So click on the brush tool, turn smoothing down to 0% in the tool bar and "off" in the brush panel, and healing should resume normal operation, or it will not screw up if you do that first when you first open photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that (although how smoothing on the brush tool affects performance on the spot healing tool I don't quite get).

What I don't understand is in Hannah's order of operations, it tells the user to drag smoothing to 0% when spot healing tool is active. This is a seemingly impossible task.

I've tried this fix by just turning smoothing off on the brush tool and unfortunately I seem to be one of the ones who will need to wait for them to update PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a professional photographer who needs to have Photoshop as a business critial tool, I am totally sad about the latest healing brush lags. I have 5 MACs from 2011 to 2016 and all are having this bug. Also the update to MAC OS High Sierra did not bring any improvement. 
Please stop implementing unnecassary gimmicks as video help and concentrate to stability and reliability -please!
I went back to CC 2017 which works better on all machines.

Regards Marco 
https://www.glamourpixel.de/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think she might have misspoke, turn smoothing off on the brush before you use the brush in a session, that should do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Disable the smoothing feature in your Brush Settings (Image 1)."

Great... easily done.

"When spot healing tool is active, drag smoothing to 0% (Image 2)."

How on earth do you do this? If the brush properties are open, you are using the BRUSH, and NOT the SPOT HEALING TOOL. If you then tap on the Spot Healing tool, the brush settings are disabled and there is NO SMOOTHING SLIDER in the spot healing brush to "drag to zero" as shown in "Image 2".

Can you please give alternative instructions which do work? Thanks in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too seemed to sort out the smoothing and the healing brush now working (so far)
Also had really slow responses using ACR so after an online chat to adobe was able to revert to ACR 9.12.1 much happier now!
<https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/revert-to-earlier-version-of-acr>
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you outline exactly how you sorted out the healing brush issue? The instructions given by the Adobe rep on these and other forums made no sense. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turn smoothing to 0% (top toolbar)
turn smoothing off in brush panel (I didn't have to do this part but some do apparently)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,
I'll copy / paste what Stephen Newport says below...

The bug seems to be caused by smoothing on the *brush tool.* So click on the brush tool, turn smoothing down to 0% in the tool bar and "off" in the brush panel, and healing should resume normal operation, or it will not screw up if you do that first when you first open photoshop.

So forget about "healing" for the moment and go to the Brush tool - and set smoothing to 0% and in the brush presets, uncheck the smoothing box.

Hope this helps... really frustrated with this update - it is not fit for purpose, and I can't use Bridge because Web Galleries are gone!

I really can't but repeat that Adobe don't seem to relate to real professional photographers and retouchers - those who live off their work!
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, although I had done that before, it seems that a restart was in order. Seems smooth as butter now and no more Program error messages yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm still not entirely sure what change I made to get the Healing brush back to some form of usability, but from memory one of the things I tried was reverting to legacy brush presets... (along with the other things mentioned by others here). Just thought I'd mention it incase it has anything to do with the problem.
Although PS is a tad more usable now, it still has a bunch of other issues, and I'm finding the clone tool can sometimes hang, and it takes about 5-10 secs before I can continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy way to fix the issue - setting the smoothing to 0 must be followed by a restart of photoshop, at least on our systems: https://youtu.be/3_zSm3hlRhE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No guys, smoothing set to 0 and restarting Photoshop or whole computer does not help. After 3-5-7 minutes working in Photoshop Spot healing brush or Lasso Tool start freezing again.
So until this issue solved I've deleted CC2018 and come back to CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too. Healing brush is just completely broken, rendering 2018 useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's bad news. Here the work around works perfectly and we're retouching images all day, every day, without issues. Anyway - let's hope Adobe gets this patched soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please fix this asap - very disruptive... thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a new update to PS today. Does this solve the healing brush problem, shall we go and install it? Anyone tried it already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved with Nov 14, 2017 update

Votes

Translate

Translate