• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lagging while zooming and painting with Native Canvas Rulers enabled - PS (v23.2.0) Windows

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Bit of a strange one and I've only noticed this since recent updates. When I have an image (regardless of resolution etc) open and the PS window is active/in-focus, I can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel smoothly as long as the image is fully visible in the PS window canvas. But if I zoom in closer so parts of the image fall outside of the canvas, then zooming is laggy, like as if there's a CPU spike laggy but there actually is not any CPU spike.

If I click out of the PS window so PS is no longer in-focus, and then hover the mouse over the PS window and then zoom (WIndows by default will allow scrolling or zooming on whatever window app window the mouse is hovered over) then the exact same zooming actions are smooth.

I have recorded a video showing what i mean to help give a better visual of what I'm on about: https://youtu.be/3Xv7E-JPnZg

My mouse is a Logitech MX Master 3 and it is running the latest software, this issue has only been noticed since recent PS updates though so I don't think it is mouse related. Zooming using CTRL & -/+ on the keyboard does not exhibit this issue however, but the zooming steps are much larger using the keyboard shortcut.

I am on Windows 11 (up to date) and have the nVidia Studio driver v511.65.

Cheers!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

I updated to the 23.2.2 update this morning, and it fixed the issue for me. 

I was able to keep the rulers visible on my Cintiq with no brush lag. 

Thanks, Adobe!

[2.3.2.2 edited to 23.2.2 by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 126 Replies 126
126 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dylan5C43 Rollback to 23.1.1 - would be the release prior to this change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your zoom scroll with your mouse and keyboard keys is causing your photoshop to freeze and/or lag turn your rulers off.

Frankly it's annoying, I like and need a my ruler on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I installed the newest update yesterday, the zoom with Alt+scroll sutters a lot.

Before it used to be quick and perfectly smooth and now it's not. In the video I don't stop scrolling back and forth so you can see where/when it stutters as it stops half-way while zooming in or out several times:

I tried going to Preferences>Tools and deactivating Animated Zoom, but that changed nothing.

I also tried Preferences>Performance>Graphics Processor Settings>Advanced Settings and unchecking Use OpenCL. That didn't help either.

I'm at a loss since zooming worked so well just before I installed the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really relieved to know that I am not the only one with this. It has been like this for a couple of months now (afaik) and it is super frustrating. I'm used to a Photoshop being quick and intuitive, yet this bug completely throws that out the window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and uncheck "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and restart Photoshop, does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

Since a couple of weeks/months I'm noticing a really laggy zoom scroll issue. Performance settings made no difference. In previous versions this issue never appeared. I tried using the Photoshop Beta version and this is a lot more smooth. Any tips on how to fix this?

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Do you have the rulers enabled by any chance, if so try disabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2022-02-21 12_12_42-© SFTW156DesertMountains.jpg @ 40.3% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, at first glance this seems to making a big difference. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this solution works. It seems to allow me to keep the rulers and avoid the stuttering issue. Deactivating the rulers altogether also eliminates the stutter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent Photoshop Beta updatae contains a change that reverts the change that caused this slowdown with Native Canvas Rulers if you want to try the release and provide feedback:

JeffreyTranberry_0-1646746453540.png

The beta app is a separate application install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453just installed the beta and can confirm the lag is gone when doing the same actions as mentioned in my OP. I have uninstalled the beta though as it is not an app I wish to use for production work so will keep native canvas disabled on the release version until the same fix is applied to that, then update via CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022, brush tool, Wacom Cintiq and pretty much any brush I've tried. 

If rulers are visible the brush stroke is not visible for about half a second, until it suddenly pops into existance. The stroke is being created, there is just a lack of visual feedback for the first little while.

This is very disruptive to workflow. Disabling rulers fixes the issue. 

My system:

Windows 10

Wacom Cintiq 16

GeForceRTX 2070 Super

AMD Ryzen9 3050X

64GB Ram

The same issue can be reliably reproduced on the other computers in our company. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try disabling this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2022-02-21 12_12_42-© SFTW156DesertMountains.jpg @ 40.3% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, 

I tried it now, but it didn't help unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart Photoshop after making the change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, but apparently the preference choice didn't stick. I restarted Photoshop and the problem was still there, but when I now opened preferences Native Canvas Rulers was still enabled. Anyway, I made double sure it was disabled now, and restarted Photoshop. The problem is now gone with rulers enabled. 

Thank you for your help, and sorry about the extra steps 😉 

I guess this changes the Bug to "Enabling Native Canvas Rulers creates a brush stroke visibility delay when using a Wacom Cintiq" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, glad you got if sorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering a one to two second lag when using Photoshop 23.2.1. When moving or using zoom and then using shortcut to select the brush tool or when changing between different tools using shortcuts I'm seeing a definite lag. I don't recall seeing this prior to the most recent update. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. It's very annoying !! I guess I can always revert back to a previous version if there isn't a fix for this issue. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and uncheck "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and restart Photoshop, does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeffrey. I did as you suggested and it appears that may have corrected the problem ! If not, I'll keep you posted. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the 23.2.2 update this morning, and it fixed the issue for me. 

I was able to keep the rulers visible on my Cintiq with no brush lag. 

Thanks, Adobe!

[2.3.2.2 edited to 23.2.2 by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated mine too and can confirm this is resolved finally!

Cheers folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry problem not solve with 23.2.2 version.
Still lagging on mouse movement on Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop goes lagging problem then not responding.Please help to fix the problem.

Laptop configuration is:

i7 processor.

24gb ram

Votes

Translate

Translate