• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PDF import show edge artifacts on tiled PDF images (bug in PDF creation)

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a PDF with images, Photoshop CS6 adds faint outlines to the PDF image segments in the file. Prior versions of Photoshop render the PDF correctly. See the attached image for an example.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 262 Replies 262
262 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2013 Sep 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Cris; this is not right!!!
It WILL help us all, because we all could live with the artifacts from the old rasterization code. Nobody sees them and we all can continue working. So now its your turn: HELP US! DO YOUR WORK! GIVE US BACK THE POSSIBILITY TO USE THE OLD CODE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

I rendered two similar PDF files in Photoshop CC. One file was generated with Illustrator CC, the other came out of Scribus. Both rendered images showed artifacts and were not rendered correctly (see images below).

But both files were rendered without Problems in Photoshop CS5. How can we explain this behavior? Is the bug located within the complete Acrobat/Distiller unit? Were can I apply to? Who is responsible? Can you give me a link or an email address?

Best regards,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is in the way the images are tiled, in the application that created them. I'm still trying to figure out if that mistake is part of a PDF/x specification. It would go a lot faster if the groups responsible would actually talk about it.

And they would show artifacts in CS5 and older versions as well - just at different resolutions, and different strengths of the artifacts.

As long as the images are tiled, they can't be rendered correctly except at their original resolution or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old, buggy code is not coming back. To fix this, we have to change the way the PDF images are created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and will this be a help for our problem we have with the ALREADY EXISTING PDF's from our clients? NO it will not!!! I think you are not willing to understand that we can not remake certain pdf's and that we can not continue our work as before. But you dont care, i know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Cris, but i repost my comment, maybee this time its not removed, i hope you feel its not insulting again:
Im my opinion you have no intention to help us and you are not even willing to understand our problem. You just repeat the same thing over and over again. we can not wirk with this "improovement" but we could work with the older version. Now you continue telling us that also the old method was showing artifacts... OK, BUT we all had no problems with that. So please why you guys dont give us a little app just for opening the pdf's using the old renderer? Why not? You can't or you want not? PLEASE SHOW A LITTLE BIT OF CARE FOR US PRO-USERS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris Cox...

First thank you for even responding to this bug thread at all. There are perhaps many bugs that never get the attention of an Adobe employee. So thank you for having a dialog with the users on this one.

So from what I can see, we have handed you file after file of PDFs that fail in CS6 and CC. You claim this happens in CS5 too, but at different resolutions etc. In my personal experience I have never seen CS5 fail with this bug. Honestly at this point the issue is that many of the users in this thread just are not able to believe your explanation that the problem exists also in CS5. I also don't see that any other thread contributors have seen this happen in CS5 under any circumstances with any files at any resolutions etc. So *please* relive the pressure on yourself by giving us a link to just one single PDF that you have found fails this way in CS5.

Also if any forum members have seen this in CS5, please speak up and/or supply a link to your example file.

Also, I have taken all the examples I have of this and rendered them in CS6 and CC at the very highest resolution allowed by Photoshop (up to 32,000 pixels in either width or height) and it still shows the thin white lines. So rasterizing at a higher resolution *does not* solve this.

John Gettler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND STEPS FOR SUCCESS ONLY USING CS6 and CC:

Short Quick Version:
1. Place the PDF into Illustrator CS6 or CC.
2. Flatten Transparency.
3. Save out an EPS file.
4. Rasterizing the EPS into Photoshop CS6 or CC.

Long Winded Version:
1. Identity a PDF that creates thin lines when rasterized in CS6 or CC.
2. Write down the width, height, color mode of the PDF when you drop it on Photoshop. But now Cancel without rasterizing.
3. Create a new document in Illustrator with those dimensions and color mode.
4. Under File menu, choose *Place...* and choose the PDF.
5. With the placed PDF now selected, choose "Flatten Transparency..." from the "Object" menu.
6. Choose 100 Vector Balance, chose the DPI you desire in both the Line Art and Gradient boxes. Check the boxes for both Convert boxes, and the "Anti-Alias" box. Check the box for "Preserve Alpha Transparency" unless you want to preserve overprints and spot colors. Click OK.
7. True at various display zoom levels you might see some *displayed* lines, but don't worry.
8. Now save an "Illustrator EPS" file. Use whatever settings you prefer here. This EPS file could now go to print or into production. But if your goal is to rasterize the file to be a simple flattened image, then proceed to step 9.
9. Drop the EPS file onto Photoshop CS6 or CC. Rasterize at the dimensions and color mode you wrote down and the DPI of your choosing, with Anti-Aliasing turned ON.
10. The transparent or white lines are now gone.

Yes, we want this fixed by Adobe. But here is how you can deal with frustrating existing client supplied PDFs, without having to keep your old copy of Photoshop CS5 around for the the next 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox,

If these lines *exist* in these PDF files as you claim, then why does Illustrator CS5, CS6 and CC, *not* render them using the above workaround method? Is there now also a bug in Illustrator's flattening engine? Since it *should* render those lines as described in the badly written PDF files?

Please download my example file I offered above from my dropbox. Go ahead and follow with me and my example file as we investigate what is really written into these files. Proceed with my above workaround steps to step 7. Make sure to create an 8.5" x 10.646" box, and make sure the document is placed in the 0,0 of the ruler in the upper left corner. Now "Release" the clipping mask that is around the whole placed image. Now Zoom into the corner of the boxes that are to the right and up from the letter "r" in "Miller". Go ahead and moves those images around, and move those masks around etc to start to see what is really happen.

The images involved are actually overlapping by about 0.005 inches. There are identical pixels on top of identical pixels in this overlaping area. But each image has a clipping mask, which clips it right down to the exact same point. So once the clipping masks are taking into account, there is no overlapping, but there is also *no gap.* At that intersection that are two handles from two different clipping masks. The interior clipping mask, and the outer clipping mask. *And those two handles are *exactly* dimensionally on top of one another. Those clipping mask handles are both at 3.5538" x 5.8514". So therefore it seems to mean that there *really is no gap* in between the different images and clipping masks embedded in this file. And therefore the lines should *not* be visible in the PDF. And therefore the lines should not show up in any version of Photoshop. And therefore the *bug is in the Photoshop CS6 and CC rasterizing engine.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've spent quite a bit of time analyzing the problem and trying different resolutions, looking up bug reports from older versions of Photoshop, etc.

Yes, it occurred in older versions as well, just at different resolutions.

All of the PDF files provided show artifacts in CS5 - at different resolutions, and to different degrees of visibility (sometimes CS5 would blur the lines a bit, and othertimes they were even more visible).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the antialiasing methods used. Acrobat also doesn't show much, because it tries to avoid antialiasing images.

There is overlap on the image tiles, by one pixel. That works well if you render at the original resolution, or without antialiasing. As soon as you render at another resolution, it shows artifacts.

Again, we have spent a lot of time researching the problem: and the bug is in the way the images are tiled (they really, really, should not be tiled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have sent you many files to prove it happens in CS6. Please send us a link to any PDF file that causing lines in Photoshop CS5. And please tell us what size and resolution to rasterize it at to cause the lines to show up.

You say all the PDF that we have provided above in this thread show artifacts in CS5 at different resolutions. Please point me to any of the provided links above to grab, and please let us know what size and resolution to rasterize into CS5 to make the lines show up.

What dimension and resolution should I rasterize *my* provided PDF file into CS5 to create the lines?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jjr13g5qs6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris you say, "... the bug is in the way the images are tiled (they really, really, should not be tiled)."

Wrong: The bug is in the *new* way that Photoshop CS6 and CC anti-aliases.

Proof: Chris, you say "It depends on the anti-aliasing methods used."

Your current Illustrator CC apparently then *still* uses this older anti-aliasing method today that *doesn't* cause thousands of dollars in reprints at printers across the world. So if it's good enough for Illustrator CC, why is it not good enough for Photoshop CC?

So the solution here that won't take another 5 years for your various Adobe department to solve, is for your single Photoshop department to switch Photoshop CC back to the old anti-aliasing method even if it's as you say "not as good" or slower. Well it worked! It worked for years. And for years, no one complained about how poorly it worked, how poorly it anti-aliased, or how slow it was. So please please consider, putting back the old anti-aliasing method into Photoshop CC, and let us all be done with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL the files posted here WILL show artifacts in CS5, just at different resolutions. How many times do I have to repeat that?

It is not a matter of a bug in Photoshop - in fact Photoshop is working just fine.
The problem is that the images are tiled, and cannot be rasterized cleanly. The solution to the problem has to come from the applications making these bad PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking you to prove it, so that we can all finally stop questioning you about it, and frustrating you. Without proof, it feels the users of this thread just are not buying your explanation. So I am asking which file provided in the above thread and what size and resolution will create lines in CS5? Please help us to believe your explanation Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I also have to prove that a clear sky is blue? Or that water is wet?

You can go look at all the complaints about lines showing up in rasterized PDF from Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, etc. You could try looking at the artifacts in rasterized PDFs.
Or you can trust someone who spent several days looking at such artifacts while researching this problem in PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really are not listening.

The bug is in the files, because they try to tile the images.
The only way to solve it is to fix the way the PDF files are created.

I've investigated this. The PDF/EPS rasterization team has investigated this.
But you haven't, so you jump to conclusions that are supported by actual facts.

The old antialiasing method in CS5 gave worse quality, took longer to run, and STILL showed artifacts on tiled images. No, that will not be coming back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to see this lines in cs5 also by myself. please provide your pdf that causes this error. i am sure you will not do... because there are no lines in cs5

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw... why you dont trust us? everyone is telling you that the old code worked fine for rasterizing pdf's, but you dont believe us...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I've seen the artifacts in the old versions and current versions, researched why it happened, and talked to several experts about why it happened and can't be avoided with the tiled images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I have the bug reports about lines appearing in rasterized PDF from Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4 and CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems that I and most of the other guys here are using another photoshop CS5 than you do... ^^

If the "better" rendering does worse work than the "old and bad" rendering, something is going very wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris,

I ́ve got a technical question. Are the tiles of tiled images visible when the PDF file is reopened in Illustrator?

It ́s because the images in my previous post are not tiled when the PDF files are opened in Illustrator. The rendered image shows artifacts wich seem like a line-offset. As described in my post this behavior is not depending on the program wich produces the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you select one of the tiles, yes they are quite visible.

The lines are due to the tiles in the PDF file, which only happens for some PDFs that have transparency flattened. This is dependent on the application that produces the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new antialiasing works much better and faster than the old antialiasing. But it shows the problem with tiled images more clearly than the old antialiasing (which still showed problems with tiled images). So the new antialiasing is a huge improvement, but we still need to fix the creation of those tiled images in PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate